• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

What even is the point of that laptop screen? Just close it and tuck the laptop away somewhere.

I have a small HDMI screen and it made sense to put that in an 'accurate' offset position while I was using it, but it's definitely chaotic. I'm more triggered by the ream of paper as a monitor stand because people used to do this at work and complain that there was no paper for the printer. :p

I used to use that type of setup (dual monitor + laptop) all the time. I'd use the separate window for chat, media player, etc.

I used to use that when I wanted to have something unimportant visible, without impacting the workflow productivity of the 2 monitors.

I used to use that when I wanted to have something unimportant visible, without impacting the workflow productivity of the 2 monitors.
This.

Monitors 1 & 2 are for actual work, laptop screen is for colleague chats etc which only distract me.
Sure, I can close the lid and hide the notifications, but meh...

It's 2024 and most powerbank manufacturers are still putting USB-A and MicroUSB on their products.

I have a Samsung 10k mAh which I like because it has two bi-directional USB-C and nothing else. They seem to be be the only manufacturer that gets it, except for the premium brands like Anker or something but I'm not paying three figures for a powerbank I use a couple times a year.

What's the point of the port selection on this cheap Varta, which I also own? Yes, Apple just now moved the iPhone to USB-C but their power bricks and cables have been C for a long time now, not to mention their laptops and tablets. I'm assuming most of the other phone manufacturers use C for the power bricks by now as well.

Ok, I can understand if Varta wanted to give us a single type-A in case grandma wants to charge her typewriter but TWO of them? And a microUSB charge port? The type-C is bi-directional, so why not put two of them? Do they seriously think anyone is going to use that MicroUSB port?

Skärmavbild 2024-07-09 kl. 16.31.42.png
Skärmavbild 2024-07-09 kl. 16.23.12.png

It's 2024 and most powerbank manufacturers are still putting USB-A and MicroUSB on their products.

I have a Samsung 10k mAh which I like because it has two bi-directional USB-C and nothing else. They seem to be be the only manufacturer that gets it, except for the premium brands like Anker or something but I'm not paying three figures for a powerbank I use a couple times a year.

What's the point of the port selection on this cheap Varta, which I also own? Yes, Apple just now moved the iPhone to USB-C but their power bricks and cables have been C for a long time now, not to mention their laptops and tablets. I'm assuming most of the other phone manufacturers use C for the power bricks by now as well.

Ok, I can understand if Varta wanted to give us a single type-A in case grandma wants to charge her typewriter but TWO of them? And a microUSB charge port? The type-C is bi-directional, so why not put two of them? Do they seriously think anyone is going to use that MicroUSB port?

View attachment 3572921 View attachment 3572920

Not everyone owns the latest and greatest phones.

I have tons of old stuff that uses USB A and even micro USB, so having something that supports all that is a bonus.
More often than not I'll use USB C for phones and USB C - lightning for Apple stuff, but it's nice to know it's there....

Sure in a couple of years time everything will be USB C and this won't be an issue, but for now, I kinda like it.
Also, 2 or more plugs usually means you can charge more stuff at the same time. Useful...

I have tons of old stuff that uses USB A and even micro USB, so having something that supports all that is a bonus.
I think you misunderstood @Perc: The Micro-USB on a power bank is only for charging the power bank itself, not for charging other devices from said power bank. That's just wasted space since you could put a USB-C port there where you can either charge the power bank or connect something you want to charge from said power bank. Your devices with Micro-USB don't care whether there is a USB-A or USB-C port on the other side of the cable so you might as well have a futureproof USB-C port there.

Not everyone owns the latest and greatest phones.

I know that, but USB-C has been out there for many years now, and Apple has used it on the charger end for years too. MicroUSB phones certainly have to be on the landfill by now?

having a micro usb port as input may simply be cheaper for the manufacturer compared to putting usb-c, since they then don't have to account for usb power delivery stuff potentially coming in via usb-c (and the issues discussed here before, where a usb-c device will only work on a 5V source and refuse to charge on PD - like my garbage GoPro does, ffs!). however, if they have a bidirectional usb-c port on the thing anyway, it makes no sense whatsoever (since putting an additional port I'd always consider more expensive than just leaving it out)...

I think we can conclude: dumb micro usb is dumb.

Lots of cheap non-phone devices are still on MicroUSB. Those things also live longer than the average phone...

Lots of cheap non-phone devices are still on MicroUSB. Those things also live longer than the average phone...
This. A lot of old(ish) camera's have microUSB. But having a micro USB in is pointless though.
Also any time differing standards are brought up I need to revive this one :

standards.png

which is completely irrelevant to the input port selection on a power bank though. the only sensible reason for micro usb to be there would be "it's the only / most used cable I have to charge the thing" - which, in this day and age, is simply not true anymore, even if you have a bunch of mUSB devices.

Maybe I'm the only one to discard a perfectly good flashlight and power bank just to get away from having MicroUSB in my life. The last device I have is my bluetooth earpiece which I use at work, and it has its dedicated charging cable on my desk. So that's not an issue.

And by discard I mean taking it to the cottage where it can live for the rest of its life.

And by discard I mean taking it to the cottage where it can live for the rest of its life.
If thats your definition of discard then I have drawers full of discarded old cables.

I just did a cleanup and got rid of even Mini USB cables, simply because I can’t remember what it was this was ever good for? I really can’t wait until every Apple product switches over to USB C so everything can be charges with every cable… and even then we’ll probably have USB A to C cables. I’ve bought adapters (both ways because I’m kinky) because I just want to use a usbc to usbc cable all the time, and my car won’t let me (not for Carplay, only for charging). For a 2022 car with 5 usb ports as standard, it is a bit weird that only the ‘oldest’, slowest charging one can be used to connect to the car, the other ones only give power.

And yes yes I know you can get wireless
Carplay now, but from what I hear it eats up battery and is glitchy/unreliable…. I always want to end up at my destination, and preferably with more charge in my phone than when I set off…

So you can’t wait for 2023?

...except for the Airpods, Airpods Max, Magic keyboard, Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad. Then there's the older products they still sell as new, though I won't count those (the various Iphone 14, 13 and iPad, etc). Then there at least the Beats Powerbeats Pro that still uses lightning...no idea about other Beats items...

So you can’t wait for 2023?
Again, not everyone switches phones immediately. My company issued phone I got in Aug 2023 is an iPhone 13, and IIRC they started with usb c from the 15, so give me a couple of years to catch up. I also have an ipad air from I think 2014, which I won’t upgrade unless it totally disintegrates so I will be needing lightning cables until that one dies…

Come to think of it, I have several sets of lightning headphones because Apple said 3,5 mm aux plugs are evil, so I guess I can throw those into the sea aswell

As someone who exclusively charges wirelessly for my phone and Airpods, the connector discussion is pretty funny. I use my magnetic connectors for everything that isn't USB-C, which are USB-A, so I would appreciate USB-A on a power bank.