Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Yay! My iPod died! I am pretty sure it's the battery (it will still play songs when plugged into the mains - so the HDD seems to be fine), so will just shove a new battery in it and hope it works. Because I don't want to spend a load of money buying a new one.

So, this card has two DVI outputs.

Apparently, some of the reviews say it also comes with a DVI-to-HDMI connector, and a small cable to connect the soundcard to the graphics card to carry it through the HDMI.

Am I missing something? Is this for real? Does this actually work well?
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-896-P3-1...raphics/dp/tech-data/B001NXDQD6/ref=de_a_smtd

My desktop's hooked up to my TV with a DVI-HDMI adapter with no issues at all. Don't know anything about the sound, but that sounds neato burrito (and yet I wouldn't use it if I had it, seperate audio system and all that jazz)

My question was more about the combining of the DVI and the audio to output to HDMI. I'd love it if I could just have the audio go out sep, but my girlfriend can hardly figure out that that she needs to turn on the DVD player before the TV will recognize it as a source...

Fixed my N95!

http://img7.imageshack.**/img7/5001/newn95.jpg

Yes, I fixed it using duck tape. And hax.

(The 'volume down' button has completely gone and it's no longer under warranty, mainly as I took a screwdriver to the internals to try and fix it. Oddly that's the only way to control the volume on an N95. Solution? Third-party mp3 player program, whose volume is controlled using left and right.

As for the duck tape, well, I bought a replacement battery which turned out to be slightly too large (possibly the wrong type, but it works and lasts ages), so duck tape holds the battery cover on.)

I once had a string of adapters going from my microphone, keyboard and computer into my VCR that was 11" long. I was missing the adapters that would have completed the job in just a couple additions, so I kept having to switch back and forth. It worked. Wore out the input on the VCR because it was so heavy, but it worked.

Trying to hook my Xbox up to my head unit should have been easy (both RCA), but the cable had to go around the whole room and the only cord I could find that was both long and skinny enough to be tucked between the wall and the carpet was a really long headphone extension cable. Radioshack's wall-o-connectors failed me (would have cost $20 and been about 8" long, but I was able to buy a couple $.99 parts and solder exactly what was needed.

Whew! Just got off of a 2.5 hour phone call providing tech support for someone. Microsoft Hotmail ditching HTTP/DAV support for Outlook was the cause of the problem, so I switched them to POP3 (grrrr, I hate POP3!). Of course, I forgot that Outlook deletes emails from the server by default, so when the two computers were both downloading all 99999999 emails, half of them ended up on one comp, and half on the other. D'oh! What a pain to walk people through how to fix that one (considering I don't have Outlook and can't even see what I'm talking about). At least it pays.

Last edited:
Ouch! I have yet to have a call last more than an hour. Then again the product I support is not nearly as complex, and I'm only Tier 2 so eventually I can just give up and throw it at Tier 3.

^I'm a one man show. I am Tier 3. :p

I haven't been an Apple person in a while.. so.. kinda sucks that I just got an iTouch (hate saying iPod Touch) 32GB and now I want to get apps!

If I get an app off my computer and put it on my phone (is that possible?), is the app stuck on my computer the way songs were/are? :think:

Put it this way: even if you buy the app on the iPod, it will still transfer it to your computer. I think you may be able to then delete it manually from the computer in Explorer though.

Last edited:
Yeah, but as stated in previous post, it just transfers it to your PC on next sync.

Yea I just started poking around the newest iTunes and saw that it will transfer over to the other computer. There's also this Home Share thingy which... I dunno what's about. @_@;

I'll figure it out, don't worry! :lol:

I love how the guys on this board buy their toys whereas the girls seem to "get" them. :D

Oh, then I'm sorry.. my "profession" is making me a bit squeamish sometimes when it comes to locution. No offense.

So it seems my Asus laptop has to have its motherboard reaplced. Again. In less than 5 days.

FUCK YOU ASUS!