Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

You still are.... two episodes per DVD? Ditch DVD-Video. I can get half a season of TG on one and a full season if I lowered the quality a bit... thought I don't even bother with that anymore since getting a 500 GB HDD.

I give out the DVDs to play on DVD video players.

Oh no! Windows 7 64-bit won't let me install Paint Shop Pro 3.0!! I've been using the same .zip of this 30-day trial period program since I was given it on a floppy for my Windows 3.11 50mHz box.

Damnit...I know it's old and lame, but it opened SUPER quick, and is just that little bit more powerful than Paint without needing to wait for Photoshop to open.
Late response, I know, but check out paint.NET. It's basically what Paint should have been.

Does anyone here use ASUS Express Gate (Linux-based, only available on ASUS motherboards)? I find it brilliant because, let's say you turned off the computer and are about to leave the house somewhere and quickly remember that you forgot to check something online, turn on you're PC again and the option for Express Gate is the first thing to show up on the monitor. You can select to go into your OS, BIOS setup, or go onto the internet. So, you can be on the internet, checking emails, weather, etc. within 5-10 secs of booting without waiting a couple of minutes for your OS to boot.

ASUS ROCKS! :D

I really don't like my computer at the moment. Keeps locking up for 5-10 seconds at a time, and it is really slow. Keeps jumping between 1 and 18 hours remaining on my backup too. GRRRRRRR.....
It's my bloody fault too, have refused to clean out all my old files and programs for months. Now it's just laggy. Oh well...

Does anyone here use ASUS Express Gate (Linux-based, only available on ASUS motherboards)? I find it brilliant because, let's say you turned off the computer and are about to leave the house somewhere and quickly remember that you forgot to check something online, turn on you're PC again and the option for Express Gate is the first thing to show up on the monitor. You can select to go into your OS, BIOS setup, or go onto the internet. So, you can be on the internet, checking emails, weather, etc. within 5-10 secs of booting without waiting a couple of minutes for your OS to boot.

ASUS ROCKS! :D

I've tried installing that numerous times, but it always tells be on boot up that it isn't installed, so I've lost interest. Windows 7 boots up quickly enough for me. It's a nice idea though. Does it give toy access to your files on the disks?

I just updated ExpressGate to from 1.3.3 to 1.4.8 something and it's even nicer. ASUS is a lovely company, it's just like ASS only with U in the middle which is great too.

It cant access my disks running in ACHI-mode but it can access my USB thingymajig. It might find disks in IDE-mode. It's got Firefox, Pidgin and games.

I've tried installing that numerous times, but it always tells be on boot up that it isn't installed, so I've lost interest. Windows 7 boots up quickly enough for me. It's a nice idea though. Does it give toy access to your files on the disks?

Yeah the same thing happened to me, I installed it, but it still said it isn't installed, until I got Win7 and it works now. :D

You can access your USB and CD/DVD drives, but not the HDD.

Yeah, Windows 7 does boot up quickly for me also, but not in 5 seconds! :lol:

The frequency response of my laptop's speakers is so crappy that it cuts out half of the notes from the bass line in "Billie Jean". Never before have I heard such an obvious demonstration of cost-cutting.

Why can't Nvidias drivers just work?

... ^ what aren't they working with????

I finally got my laptop back from the Acer repair center in Texas. And now its on a FedEx truck heading back there.

:censored::censored::censored:

No number of :censored:'s can express my current hatred towards Acer. Got it back today. And its already on a truck heading in for round 3 of repairs.

^ long story????

Thank goodness I have warranty where DEll comes to me on the next business day. That and priority phone service help a lot. Although i only have less than 1 year of it left :cry:

My warranty was already expired when it died the first time. They wanted to charge me on a per-phonecall basis, but I pretty much kept hitting 0 until the computer transfered me to a live rep. At which point I somehow managed to get into the loophole into the system where they were treating me at Corporate Care rather than regular Tech support. I paid $200 to have them fix the initial problem (I spilled half a bottle of Gatorade into my laptop on accident). I was really happy with the price, I was expecting way more. Anyways, they fixed a lot, more than I was expecting, but in the process, got the WiFi button jammed, making it toggle on/off/on/off/on/off nonstop. So I sent it back in, they fixed the button, but I guess they forgot to hook it up to the board, because it does nothing now. So I'm sending it back. Worst part is that they won't even give me a partial refund despite their incompetence. Its been exactly one month since I sent it in the first time.

Generally I'dve fixed this kind of issue myself, but I don't dare risk opening up my laptop because
a. the case is really easy to break if you try to pry it open
b. I'd probably have to end up taking the whole thing apart just because of the way laptops are so compactly packed.

The frequency response of my laptop's speakers is so crappy that it cuts out half of the notes from the bass line in "Billie Jean". Never before have I heard such an obvious demonstration of cost-cutting.

My buddy's Alienware laptop is similar to that. Everything else is well done, then they got to the speakers and put the worst speakers in the history of mankind in.

My buddy's Alienware laptop is similar to that. Everything else is well done, then they got to the speakers and put the worst speakers in the history of mankind in.

My Acer's has a built in 2.1 system and its actually quite good and loud for a laptop.... if I ever get it back.

The 18.4inch version of my laptop (Acer Aspire 8920/8930) has a built in 5.1 system (2 speakers where you'd expect + 3 speakers in front of the keyboard), and from what I've heard its really really good.

My HP DV6000 has some Altec Lansing speakers and they actually sound pretty good especially for a laptop.

Same. One of the speakers in my Alienware is actually dead, and it's only 3 years old.

Same. One of the speakers in my Alienware is actually dead, and it's only 3 years old.

That is how old the one my friend has is. It might even be the same model. I don't know the number off hand, but it is a 15.4" screen, has a 7600go and the volume control is a little thumb wheel on the left side.

My HP DV6000 has some Altec Lansing speakers and they actually sound pretty good especially for a laptop.

Yeah, my wife's DV7 also has some Altec Lansing 2.1 system, and for a laptop, it sounds extraoridnary. It's better than most cheap pc speaker systems.