Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Hi five for another Ccleaner user :D

Was working on a customer's system yesterday and I saw this:

untitled2.jpg

:rolleyes:

wait what FBI? :blink:

I honestly don't think it's the FBI. They would have more brains than to call their network "FBI Trace" or whatever. They would name it something that would blend in. Also, they wouldn't be bothering with a wireless network.

No, this is some dumb ass who thinks he's funny.

So, it turns out there is a uTorrent plugin for XBMC, but in order to get the hardware acceleration I need, I have to use the Linux version, which mans no uTorrent, unless I run it in wine, but I've always had bad luck with wine. Then I found KTorrent, a uTorrent clone for Linux. This means that tomorrow after I get my new hard drive, I'll be installing Ubuntu, KTorrent, and XBMC, likely in that order. There will also most likely be other things done, but about covers it.

I honestly don't think it's the FBI. They would have more brains than to call their network "FBI Trace" or whatever. They would name it something that would blend in. Also, they wouldn't be bothering with a wireless network.

No, this is some dumb ass who thinks he's funny.

Yeah, but a lot of people (specially non-techsavy people) would think it actually was FBI.

Last edited:
Is there an adbloc like feature for Opera? There's a new forum member with an avatar that's going to blind me. I'd rather keep everyone else's if possible.

Yes, it's buried in the advanced menus somewhere. Don't have Opera at work so I can't be specific :(

That was enough info! Success! Not even a minute and I had it sorted. I'm probably all out of rep for you too. Anyway, thanks a bunch. It was a really bad one.

For anyone interested:
1) Right click on offending avatar and "copy image address"
2) Tools - Advanced - Blocked Content...
3) Add...
4) Paste in the image address from clipboard and close dialogue

I'm curious to what the avatar was :blink:

This guy. Just way too many moving neon colors. For whatever reason that one just really bothered me.

Edit: I was out of Victor rep. Anyone able to help me out?

Last edited:
I covered you :)
Yeah hypnotoad is rather.. hypnotic :lol: Staring too long would make you dizzy. It could be worse though, people have like flashing seizure swastikas on Deviantart :blink:

That type of thing doesn't bother me too much, but I agree, that is the worst I've seen on this board.

My new monitor (compared to the old one)! :D

21103nr.jpg

34j9eld.jpg

16hq93q.jpg

21esw2q.jpg

Guess which is the new one...;)

Last edited:
Hmmm..... I have to say i think it's the Asus :D Nice one!
When I saw the first pic i was like "Damn, thats his new screen?!" :p

Right, after a few days of touch HD2 ownership, I have a few thoughts:

1) I think the Engadget and Gizmodo review of the device was a little unfair. You rarely come into contact with the normal 6.5 menus thanks to Sense, and when you do the screen is so damn big it makes selecting any of the options pretty easy. Then again, I've had so many windows mobile phones previously that I've gotten used to it and have no particular complaints. I have used the iPhone's OS for a reasonable period of time, and don't find 6.5 to be all that bad in comparison. As for the argument about "the average user", plenty of people I saw/friends and relatives I know in Hong Kong had WM phones, and none of them found the interface particularly hard to grasp.

I'm simply presenting my thoughts/observations here, not starting a flamewar on WM VS OSX mobile VS Android. Each has its merits, and it just comes down to what suits you.

2) This phone is absolutely massive, but because its so thin its actually reasonably easy to lug around all the time. It still fits within my pocket reasonably comfortably, and that gorgeous display makes navigating the phone a joy.

3) The onscreen keyboard is comfortable to type on as a result of the massive screen. I can easily type as quickly on the HD2 as I did on the Milestone's physical keypad. There are, however, some bugs in that occasionally some key presses don't register or just lag.

4) Battery life is reasonably good for such a high specification device. I had wifi on for the whole of yesterday doing some pretty intensive browsing, emailing, etc, and at the end of the day I still has about 40%-ish battery left.

5) The camera seems to be a bit, um, weird in capturing color. I get weird bits of pink on some of the photos, but from searching around the net it seems its a common issue on the HD2 and hopefully a patch will be available soon.

6) Internet browsing in Opera with Multitouch is a joy. I just wish multitouch extended to more applications, but this is not so much HTC's fault as it is Microsoft and 3rd party developers' fault for not supporting it more.

7) The phone is definitely attention grabbing with its sleek metal backplate and pretty "blacked out" front face. I currently have a firm plastic case around it, but just ordered a leather flip case off ebay as I'm worried about the screen (Yes, I already have a screen protector on it) being scratched up or smashed into.

8) There seems to be quiet a bit of support for the HD2 on XDA-developers. Hoping to try some aftermarket roms, and hopefully Android will be ported to it soon for something different :) Rumours abound suggest that WM7 will be available officially for the HD2.

More thoughts to come as I continue to enjoy this great device :D

Last edited: