Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Alright, been working on picking bits for that new computer I want. I now have an updated parts list here.

How's that looking now? Any missing parts essential for proper computing (aside from the obvious monitor/keyboard/mouse)?

i'd definitely go for a 1GB model of the GTX460... much better according to the tests i read (not the usual 'ololol moar is bettor'-deal).
apart from that, i can't complain :thumbsup:

So my JDownloader is bugging out with my Rapidshare prem account, so I bought a Hotfile subscription only to experience 30kb/s download speeds....great.

Looks good, though I'd skip the bluray burner (reader is useful) and go for a 1 GB video card, unless that is a particularly good deal

Well point me in the direction of a 1GB video card, I must be too blind to find it because all of those I saw on newegg were the 3/4GB. And I'd prefer to keep the bluray burner just as a bit of futureproofing, though I see where you're coming from, I suppose I could always wait and put one in in a year or two when they're half the price.

Looks like a pretty solid build to me, though to be honest I'd probably look for a bit less expensive case.

I spent 2 hours (quite literally) clicking and comparing and being annoyed at huge perspex windows, then being annoyed that the ones I really liked were $300++, then being annoyed at the other ones I liked having tons of glowing crap, and finally found that one which I can put up with (and it has a switch to turn off all the lights). So it's staying.

Unless you have magical powers and show me a case I like for cheaper.

As far as future-proofing in regard to the Bluray burner, I really don't see much future in it either. A burner is something you can slot in later very easily, so if you don't need it now, you're only going to pay more for it and end up with an older model. Not to mention, I don't see much point in the first place, as flash memory gets cheaper and optical disk players are usurped by network media devices. In what situation would you burn a Blu-ray? The disks are expensive and hold little more than a flash drive. They read slow, write slower, cost a lot up-front, cost a lot per disk, and only work with other Blu-ray readers....

I spent 2 hours (quite literally) clicking and comparing and being annoyed at huge perspex windows, then being annoyed that the ones I really liked were $300++, then being annoyed at the other ones I liked having tons of glowing crap, and finally found that one which I can put up with (and it has a switch to turn off all the lights). So it's staying.

Unless you have magical powers and show me a case I like for cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216

RC-692-KKN2-CM-690-II.jpg

I know I know, the fan has blue lights, but that's easy to fix, and it'll cost less than $90. I have one waiting for me to build up, and its emptiness makes me sad.

Well now you can get this case and a PSU and keep the same total cost :)

The 1GB versions of the 460 are delayed a couple weeks after the 768 MB ones, which is why you aren't seeing many yet. They're quite a bit faster (the memory is 33% faster, since the only way to cut down the RAM to 768 was to disable 1/4 of the memory controllers, which also disabled 1/4 of the ROPs), so unless you need your computer RIGHT NOW, I'd wait until more are available.

The 1GB versions of the 460 are delayed a couple weeks after the 768 MB ones, which is why you aren't seeing many yet. They're quite a bit faster (the memory is 33% faster, since the only way to cut down the RAM to 768 was to disable 1/4 of the memory controllers, which also disabled 1/4 of the ROPs), so unless you need your computer RIGHT NOW, I'd wait until more are available.

very much so. do yourself a favor and wait.

You must live in Magical $40 modular PSU Land. :lol:

For some reason I was thinking that your current choice was $170.

I think I'm going to pass on the 1GB video card. I honestly don't game much, if anything I'll install the Sims 3. The only other thing I'll need it for is photoshop and watching some HD video, and my current 8800GT is already capable of those things, so I'll be fine. And of course in the future I could always add another video card if I wanted more oomph.

The main factor though is I want to go ahead and order this before Mother Dearest decides she doesn't want to pay for it anymore :lol:

If the Sims 3 is all you're concerned about, just recycle your 8800GT, it will do everything you described very well :dunno:

As you said, you can always upgrade later.

If I were to install a GPU, middle of te range, to my intel graphics box would I need a beefier PSU too?

That kind of depends on what PSU you have now! :p

Specifically, the most important figure to look at is wattage. 350W would be about the bare minimum for a decent GPU depending on the rest of your system.

Great, I'm 5MB over on my data plan because this stupid Nexus One doesn't automatically reconnects to wireless networks when it needs it or after sleep... :-(

Should I send the bill to Google? ;-)