Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

You'll get a 120GB Vertex2 for around $200. Awesome enough, getting a larger one is just a waste of money.

You'll get a 120GB Vertex2 for around $200. Awesome enough, getting a larger one is just a waste of money.

is this a viable alternative to a "real" HDD yet?
I'm thinking of ditching my old 300GB drive that runs Win7 for one of those small 80GB SSDs, and then putting in a 2TB "real HDD" for storage...

Combined cost should not exceed 250? amirite?

What genius decided to put a desktop P4 into a laptop?
:lol: Seriously? Mine can heat my entire room quite nicely, its TDP is higher than what my laptop power supply is rated for.

edit: I hadn't noticed how old that post was. :angel:

Last edited:

Define viable alternative.

Speed? Check. Duh.
Power consumption? Check. Seagate claims under 8W operating, under 5W idle for its Barracuda.12. OCZ claims 2W in operation, 0.5W idle for its Vertex2.
Heat? Check. Lower power, less heat.
Size? Check. Both are available in standardized 2.5" and 3.5" cases.
Reliability? Check. Seagate gives an annual failure rate of 0.32% for its Barracuda.12, that's a MTBF of 1.37 million hours. OCZ gives a MTBF for its Vertex2 of 2 million hours. Compared to your old 300GB drive, reliability heaven. Also not sensitive to shock, depends on your environment whether that helps or not.
Price per GB? No check. Again, duh.

I'm thinking of ditching my old 300GB drive that runs Win7 for one of those small 80GB SSDs, and then putting in a 2TB "real HDD" for storage...

Judging by Belgian Alternate, you could dish out 200? for a 120GB Vertex2 and 50? for a 1TB HDD, or 150? for an 80GB Vertex2 and 90? for a 2TB HDD, or 110? for a 60GB Vertex2 and 90? for a 2TB HDD.
For me, 60GB as a system drive is enough, discounting temporarily downloaded things that could as well be stored on an HDD it's only half full. However, ymmv and you might need more than 60GB. The question is, are those extra 20GB worth 40? to you? You might as well save those 40? on the second Terabyte on the HDD though, if you can live with 300GB now then you will be able to live with 1080GB for a long time - would be 200? in total.

Last edited:

Get these and you'll be fine :)
Vertex 2 SSD
WD 1TB 64MB Caviar Black (or the 2TB model)

At least that's what I got, they do free delivery too :)

Last edited:
My old solution has stopped working, how do I download youtube videos from chrome?

My solution for saving any sort of internet videos is going through the temp folder of the browser that you are using. So in Chrome....
XP
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache
C:\Users\[User name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache

Then arrange the contents by size. The largest file most probably will be the video. Copy it to someplace and then rename to "blahblah.flv"

OR you could go here ;)

longass reply with lots of text and numbers.

could have expected such a reply from you!

some info that may help :
Speed: would be the reason for getting an SSD in the first place
Power consumption, heat, size, reliability : don't really care since it's going in my desktop

also : I neglected to mention that I already have an extra 1 TB external drive, so now I have 1300GB...1080 will do just fine, if I count my other 1 TB in there it should be enough for a couple of years

My old solution has stopped working, how do I download youtube videos from chrome?

My solution for saving any sort of internet videos is going through ... rename to "blahblah.flv"

I appreciate your loyalty to Chrome but when there are Firefox extensions out there that download videos in MP4 format in one click I personally can't see why you wouldn't use them.

Switching to another browser for 5 minutes should be much quicker than running around the maze that is the windows file system.

I'm not saying either of you should change, I'm just interested. :)

Well I am a Opera user. Which before v11 came out, didn't have extensions. So therefore I had to use other methods. Like the going through the temp folder or using an online downloader.
I find the temp folder maze better because the video is already downloaded when I was buffering it. So I don't have to wait again until the video downloads again. And well it works anywhere I load a video :p

As for the Opera extensions, I do not have that much experience with them because....uh..long story short, I still don't have a HDD. I use Linux live CD. which requires me installing Opera after I restart my computer. And Opera Link does not work with the extensions.
I cannot be bothered with installing extensions every time I install Opera...because well I can live without them...:p

But that said when I do get my HDD (Stupid shop delaying it :shakefist:) I guess I will turn into the dark side of extensions....

And that concludes my longass reply to a such a simple question. :D

Last edited:
I appreciate your loyalty to Chrome but when there are Firefox extensions out there that download videos in MP4 format in one click I personally can't see why you wouldn't use them.

Switching to another browser for 5 minutes should be much quicker than running around the maze that is the windows file system.

I'm not saying either of you should change, I'm just interested. :)

I'll switch if there's a good alternative :p

Opera doesn't support ctrl+click for new tab. I will not even consider trying it again until that changes.

Ctrl + Click? Nope. I don't even know such a shortcut. (Actually it does not work in any of the browsers I have atm. Opera 11, Chrome and a FF 3.6) I use the middle mouse button to open/close tabs :)

Ctrl+Left click opens a link in a new tab for me in Chrome.

OH links?....brain fart moment. I thought that by Ctrl + left click = new fresh tab. I use the middle mouse button for opening links in new tabs.

No wonder I had trouble with the middle mouse button on my previous mouse. I didn't realise I was using it that much :lol:

I have used FF, Chrome, Opera, and IE. I found Opera to be the worst of the 4. It is also the worst when dealing with a proxy, which is bad for work use (in my case). Opera doesn't have any features that distinguish itself from something like Chrome. So the speed of Chrome makes it better over the bloat of Opera. I know people love their technology, I don't mean to be insulting. I am just stating my opinion.
My ranking for browsers on W7 is FF>Chrome>IE(newest)>Opera. I used FF in Ubuntu when I had that installed.

Opera doesn't support ctrl+click for new tab. I will not even consider trying it again until that changes.

For some reason, on my netbook, this works about 30% of the time in Firefox. I have taken to middle-click out of habit (and since I abhor trackpads I'll just take it as an excuse to go find my mouse).

could have expected such a reply from you!

some info that may help :
Speed: would be the reason for getting an SSD in the first place
Power consumption, heat, size, reliability : don't really care since it's going in my desktop

also : I neglected to mention that I already have an extra 1 TB external drive, so now I have 1300GB...1080 will do just fine, if I count my other 1 TB in there it should be enough for a couple of years

Reliability is a factor in every machine. In the early days of SSDs there was a stigma of short lifespans due to limited number of writes. My point is, even with technical limitations such as those they still are as reliable as mechanic HDDs, even more.
Power and heat are usually no major buying point, but are nice to have. Remember, the less total heat in your machine the less cooling you need - less noise. Less power also saves some money in the long run, so you get a tiny fraction of the added price back. If you save 8W then that's about 200Wh per day, 70kWh per year when run almost continuously. At 0.2? per kWh that's 14? per year, over an HDD life of five years that's 70?. Roughly half the price of the disk saved.

Factoring in the external TB, no point in getting more than 1TB additionally.