Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I think I need to get a new PC this spring. With all the upcoming games I'm interested in(Portal 2, Battlefield 3 and SWTOR to name a few) I'll need something much more powerful. But, with all the new tech out there and no requirements posted for games, I'll wait a little bit more.

Buy the new hardware *after* the games. No sense in getting hardware in anticipation of software, since it gets faster and cheaper all the time.

Yeah. I almost bought a new video card the other day in anticipation of this year's releases, but logic caught up with me.

Bloody routers How do they work???

My Netgear router stopped working a few days ago. No idea why. When I connect the modem directly I can access the Internet but not when I connect with the router. I couldn't even access the RouterLogin page. Did a reset, but nothing. I left it like that (I couldn't figure out why its not working). Today I tried it and the first few attempts it resisted but then suddenly I could access the Router Login page. Did the settings and now its working fine :?

my router was totally defeated by a wooden table so IDK either.

Did the wooden table fall onto your router? Because that would make sense then.

No, it doesn't work when under it (it's the tv stand, the tv was not on it at the time) and does work when on top.

Fucking radio waves.

I really hope Nokia gets their heads out of their asses and start supporting Android. Or even Windows Phone.

Now it's official. Nokia's new high-end phones are Windows Phones. Market doesn't like it, though.

I hoped Android :(

Last edited:
So they'll be selling some phones with their own OS and others with Windows Phone? What for, is there not enough competition from other companies? :blink:

So they'll be selling some phones with their own OS and others with Windows Phone? What for, is there not enough competition from other companies? :blink:

They'll make around 150 million Symbian phones, after that it's all Windows. Nokia sold ~450 million phones last year.

edit: another source claims they make 150 Symbian devices. Damn this is complicated, no wonder stocks go down.

edit2: I think cheap phones continue with Symbian, and more expensive ones are Win. There will be only 1-2 Meego devices.

Last edited:
From the Nokia press release:

Nokia on Symbian devices said:
With Nokia's planned move to Windows Phone as its primary smartphone platform, Symbian becomes a franchise platform, leveraging previous investments to harvest additional value. This strategy recognizes the opportunity to retain and transition the installed base of 200 million Symbian owners. Nokia expects to sell approximately 150 million more Symbian devices in the years to come.
Translation: Holy Hell, there's no way we'd transition every single thing to WP7 overnight! Existing lines stay Symbian, along with the cheap phones. Only latest-and-greatest will be WP7.

Nokia on Meego said:
Under the new strategy, MeeGo becomes an open-source, mobile operating system project. MeeGo will place increased emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices, platforms and user experiences. Nokia still plans to ship a MeeGo-related product later this year.

Translation: Intel would kill us if we dropped MeeGo, so we might as well release that one phone we were working on. Don't expect it to be polished, but it'll at least be hacker-friendly.

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop said in press conference that they would use the next generation Windows Phone -plantform on their phones, whatever that means. He and Steve Ballmer also said that Nokia doesn't just adopt WP, but they will also be very close partners in developing it. For example Ovi services will be integrated with WP, and Nokia Maps will be integrated to Bing search.

It will be intresting to see how this turns out.

So I'm thinking the ole tower might be ready for an overhaul this summer. I don't bother even trying to keep up with hardwares so I dunno, but looking at some stuff on Toms Hardware, do yous think multi graphics card nowadays is as good or better than a single card for the same money? It looks like two cheaper model cards could outperform a single card that costs more than the two cheaper ones combined.

So I'm thinking the ole tower might be ready for an overhaul this summer. I don't bother even trying to keep up with hardwares so I dunno, but looking at some stuff on Toms Hardware, do yous think multi graphics card nowadays is as good or better than a single card for the same money? It looks like two cheaper model cards could outperform a single card that costs more than the two cheaper ones combined.

Perhaps, but I look at it this way: you can buy two cards now, and buy two upgraded cards later, or buy one card now, and buy a second later when prices are lower.