Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

i bought 2 samsung ecogreens from germany :)

now i have too many hd's.

ghettoserver = 40Gb + 2x 1,5Tb in raid1
gamingrig = 160Gb + 2x 2Tb in software raid1
laptop = 160Gb

externals = 500Gb lacie, 250Gb, 300Gb lacie rikiki, 80Gb, 160Gb, 80Gb

:p

High voltage in an LCD? Me thinks not. A CRT on the other hand will give you a shock that will really make you have a bad day.

CFFL(basically anything not LED) backlit displayes use high voltage for the backlight, I think around 200-300V. As long as you have decent soldering skills it shouldn't be an issue; it's not like the thing is going to be on while you work on it.

So, I'll be getting a new PC this spring but it's been so long since I've been involved with hardware that I'm not sure of what I want. I'm thinking about getting one of the new i5s, some Asus mobo and an ATI video card. I'll also need a new LCD. I'll need something that will last me some time(though eventual future updates are not excluded) because my desktop is 8 years old and I mainly use my notebook now.

Just a heads up, Intel started shipping the B3 stepping P67 chipset to their OEM partners a few days ago so it might be a while before sandy bridge compatible motherboards go back on sale.

For future proofed video cards either HD 6970 or GTX 570.

Last edited:
Got my 2TB drive today, now fitted nicely into my enclosure and the 1TB is wedged into the case. I didn't realise until I opened the case that I already had a fourth drive in there but disconnected, I've been looking for that to use as an external drive. It had to come out though because my case is too small now.

I now finally have a data connection on my phone. :D

On another note, would something like this be a good upgrade from an Asus E8800GTS 320mb GFX card?

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=416&products_id=16655

not if you're looking for any significant improvement in performance.
sure the 5xxx series packs directX11 but the 5450 is pretty much the slowest one you can buy, i don't think the performance boost over the 8800 would be worth any price at all...
if you don't need performance though, it should be nice - with the passive cooling making it all silent and what not!

What a coincidence that this should be page 226, I've just brought my Samsung 226CW back from the dead, thanks to Youtube and ?5 worth of capacitors! So pleased this worked and it was so easy.

Last edited:
What a coincidence that this should be page 226, I've just brought my Samsung 226CW back from the dead, thanks to Youtube and ?5 worth of capacitors! So pleased this worked and it was so easy.
I love that feeling, repairing something that you know 95% of people would have just replaced. Too bad I'm usually not skilled enough to actually do so...

Nice. :thumbup: I did that with my tv stb, replaced a few capacitors worth maybe 2?, and fixed it.

You know where they need fingerprint scanners? on the credit card machines in shops. The surface can't be written on properly anyway so signing there is useless and really fucking annoying if you have a swollen hand.