Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Opera3.png
:p

Obviously I am lazy.

Nobody can be that lazy. Right-click the bar right next to the refresh button, uncheck "Tabs oben" in English to move the tab bar. Right-click again, select "Anpassen" in English, and drag around the cancel and refresh buttons. Done.

Nobody can be that lazy. Right-click the bar right next to the refresh button, uncheck "Tabs oben" in English to move the tab bar. Right-click again, select "Anpassen" in English, and drag around the cancel and refresh buttons. Done.
Yes I know I already fixed it.

And now I am going to where they moved it to to refresh. Grrrrrrrr.

In case anyone's wondering where the "save my tabs on exit" option went in FF4 (like I was), they're always saved, but to restore them, you have to select History->Restore Previous Session. It's kinda nice that you can't accidentally forget to save tabs anymore, but it's a bit annoying to add an extra step to restoring them. and you can have them automatically restored by following narf's instructions below:

Last edited:
I have a plugin that gives me a button to press that closes it out and saves them at the same time, makes things easy.

Not worth its own thread IMO but I got a rant.
So as many are aware I picked up a 15" MBP CTO from Apple couple of weeks ago (a few days after they came out actually). Now the machine is excellent in just about every way but after a few days of usage I noticed a discoloration spot on the monitor. No biggie drove out to the nearest Apple store and got one of the geniuses to look at it. So the dude checks it out tells me that since its so new they will give me a new machine. I'm thinking great, new laptop instead of just a screen swap who doesn't like that? So he tells me since its a CTO they will have to order a new one and then I will have to come and pick it up, that works fine for me so I agree and that I will get to keep my laptop until new one arrives.

Fast forward a week later, I get a call from the store they tell me that the process will take a couple of weeks and that I will be contacted by the Apple care folks. So fine they call me and tell me that I will have to send mine in before they send me the new one but that they will not ask me to send it till they get the new machine and its ready to ship. So I'm not all that happy about it but I have my up to date Time Machine back up and have other laptops so I was like OK. Shipped the laptop back to them Thursday (bad idea because of the weekend in the middle) and got a new one on Monday.

So I open the box boot up, look at the laptop, power it back off and pack it up. Reason being? They shipped the replacement with a stock glossy screen, mine was a high res anti-glare. So I call up the person I was dealing with leave her a voice mail. She calls back the next day very apologetic and says they will ship me a new one. For some reason they also switched the representatives that I was dealing with.

So I get an e-mail from the new rep who confirms my config, I confirm it. He sends me a return label for the wrong machine, I ship it the same evening and e-mail him saying the same. At this point I assumed that the replacement was already ordered (they have to build it in China before it's shipped) as this is obviously a mistake on Apple's part. So I get an email in the evening of the next day stating that they got a confirmation that they got the laptop (I'm thinking they got confirmation it was shipped not received since I dropped it off after the cut off due to having this job thing I tend to go to during the day :p) and placed an order for the new one along with the order #. So I check the order, sure enough the damn thing was ordered evening of that day not the morning of the previous day. Of course it didn't get "built" until yesterday (Friday) and was shipped out today (Saturday) according to the FedEx tracking page it will come here on Wednesday (next week).

For those of you keeping score at home, at this point it has been over a week since I shipped my laptop out and if FedEx is accurate it will be nearly two weeks before I actually get a replacement.

Now here are the parts that piss me the fuck off:
1) It was a simple screen problem they could have ordered a new screen to the store and have me come in when they get the part, it would take under an hour to replace the damn thing...
2) If you are giving me a new fucking laptop why in the fuck do I need to ship my old one back first? What if I don't have a fucking backup drive (not everyone does) or the replacement machine has some kind of a problem with it? I've RMA'ed shit before and most places will just take some credit card to hold as a collateral in case you don't ship the old one back.
3) Why in the fuck did it have to be shipped to my house? The genius specifically asked me if I would prefer just calling Apple care and having them ship me shit directly or if I'd rather the store takes care of all of it. He asked me the same thing twice and both times I told him my preference was to get it shipped to store (thought maybe they'd have a Thunderbolt cable to transfer my shit in the store and I could also make sure it's fine right in front of them). Yet Apple decided to ship it to me...
4) Why the fuck did the fucking rep wait for me to fucking ship the fucking wrong laptop before fucking ordering the new fucking one? It wasn't my fucking mistake in giving them config, they didn't even fucking ask/confirm with me the first time before. I am honestly at the point where if anything else goes wrong I will simply ask for a refund and find me something else. I already beat SC2 anyway so don't really care about the power much :D

Because they won't risk letting you defraud them out of another laptop, even if it was their failt. Until they get it in their hands, it still could potentially come back to yours. Although, they should have been able to work something out where you drop it off at the store, and the store says "It's OK to send the replacement: we (Apple) have the computer."

However, that would be logical and would make sense. How dare you for trying to think rationally.

Last edited:
So...Windows 7, 64.

Why does it constantly tell me that I need administrator privilages do do certain things, and even sometimes denies me when this is the only user account, and it is set up as an administrator?

For instance...I can't save to my "music to file" folder on my "G" drive. It doesn't even ask for me to approve it. It just says "You don't have permission to save to this location."

WTF?

Right click on the folder, click Properties, go to the Security tab and check whether your account is in that list. If not, click Advanced, go to the Owner tab, click Edit, select your account and click OK. If your account is in that list but has too little rights, click Edit and change them.

I've gone though and checked here:
snip1.jpg

Here:
snip2.jpg

And Here:
snip3.jpg

Still no luck...

Weird...it keeps re-setting itself to "read-only". Even after I unckeck the box, it tells me that an administrator has to OK it, I click "OK", a progress bar progresses, and closes. I then go back to the folder, and it's still says "Read-Only"

Not worth its own thread IMO but I got a rant.

It will be interesting to see if they ever send you the correct one, I did this dance over a 50$ cell phone with motorolla and after FIVE fuckups I just gave up.

Weird...it keeps re-setting itself to "read-only". Even after I unckeck the box, it tells me that an administrator has to OK it, I click "OK", a progress bar progresses, and closes. I then go back to the folder, and it's still says "Read-Only"

In my experience, that read-only thing is meaningless and you can ignore it. I have no idea what it's supposed to do.

The "you do not have permissions" error is actually often an indication that the file is in use. Make sure you aren't playing the music while you copy? Rebooting the PC and not running applications usually solves that, even if some process is stuck in the background keeping the file locked.

Well, whatever I did after about 20 minutves of going back and forth and re-checking boxes I'm sure I've checked before seems to have solved the issue.

I do get those "you need administrator" messages a lot, though. This was just one where it wouldn't give me an option to continue. The messages sure are annoying, though. i thought this was something that was supposed to be fixed from Vista-to-7?