Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

MSE found this in my cache apparently. I'm just gonna do a full system scan, though I don't even do much browsing on this machine.

The practical limit of USB 2.0 is about ~30 MB/s (~240 mbps), not 60 MB/s like you would expect from the 480 mbps theoretical speed, so that might be what you're seeing.
Thanks didn't know that. Though that would explain the reads my writes are are still somewhere around 10-15MB/s.

To answer your original question, Mac OS 8 won't even begin to work, it's designed for a completely different processor architecture. Just like old Macs couldn't run Windows.

I figured as much. I'm trying to find an appropriate linux distro that will run on core i5 and that can recognize my friggin SSD to pull drivers off of it.

Either that or mac os X.

The reason I'm saying mac mac mac is because we use the fucking things at work, and plus I kinda wanna try out... iphone app development

No modern Linux distro should have trouble with your processor (at least I've never heard of that being an issue). No idea about the SSD though.

EDIT: Oh, and since you're doing this for the sake of messing around, how about a virtual machine? No messing with disk partitions and you've got plenty of horsepower.

Last edited:
I just bought my dad a birthday present - Creative Aurvana X-Fi. I tested them just to make sure they are working properly (it will be a bitch if he had to do warranty claims from Bulgaria). Oh my god! I love their sound. Now I'll have to buy a pair for myself...

No modern Linux distro should have trouble with your processor (at least I've never heard of that being an issue). No idea about the SSD though.

EDIT: Oh, and since you're doing this for the sake of messing around, how about a virtual machine? No messing with disk partitions and you've got plenty of horsepower.

That sounds like a plan. I'll look into the VM.

Edit: Lolol I called apple up to see if this was possible and the guy at the other end (who sounded like he was 16 and his name was Justin) was like Noooo that's illegal for you to install software on a non-mac noooooo. You apparently cannot build your own fucking computer and put mac on it without it being illegal or against their terms and agreements. So I couldn't get a straightforward answer regarding whether I needed the full version of OS X or if I could get away with the upgrade (which is hella cheaper).

Fuck it. Linux.

Last edited:
OK one thing about Apple I do NOT understand. Why in the fuck are there no home/pg dwn/pg up/end buttons?

^ There are, I've got them on this mac laptop (hand me down) and next to me on my mac mini computer on this mac keyboard (I'm at work right now, we use macs at work).

Mac.

^ There are, I've got them on this mac laptop (hand me down) and next to me on my mac mini computer on this mac keyboard (I'm at work right now, we use macs at work).

Mac.
Neither my laptop (current MBP) nor my g/f's (2 year old MB the aluminum one) have em. IIRC my roommates 2 year old MBP didn't have em either (she moved out so I can't check easily)

Neither my laptop (current MBP) nor my g/f's (2 year old MB the aluminum one) have em. IIRC my roommates 2 year old MBP didn't have em either (she moved out so I can't check easily)

Fn + arrows does the trick. I still maintain that 15" and 17" MBPs should get full-sized keyboards with a numpad and other stuff, there is more than enough space...

Fn + arrows does the trick. I still maintain that 15" and 17" MBPs should get full-sized keyboards with a numpad and other stuff, there is more than enough space...
Ahhh Thanks. I sorta agree, I mean on the 15 the speaker grills are kind of in the way but on the 17" for sure :p

That's kinda weird because the Macbook pro loaner that I use in the lab has it displayed on the arrow keys and the mac keyboard for the mini has specific keys for it.

Whatever, I'm happy to be back home to the win7 :p

Apple changed their keyboard layout at the end of 2007 when they released Leopard, they cleaned up most of the keys that have two usages (like the virtual numpad, the Home/End/Pg Up/Pg Down, etc.).

Also I think having a numpad on a laptop is the work of the devil :p
For a start you type with your hands completely on the left of the laptop, which means you're either not in front of the laptop anymore or typing at an angle... AND it looks awful!
Then again I might be biased since I use my MacBook, the bluetooth Apple keyboard which has no number pad and a short Apple keyboard at work which doesn't have one either. I can understand that some people actually need the numpad, but in that case I'd recommend to get a USB one or a bluetooth one ;-)

MSE found this in my cache apparently. I'm just gonna do a full system scan, though I don't even do much browsing on this machine.

Did 3 full scans since then, one with MSE and two with Avast Free and nothing came up. Yeah, I'm a bit paranoid about these things, unlike my friend that had no protection at all on his machine, while playing WoW, Steam games and having had a keylogger that tried to get his WoW credentials some time before that.

That's kinda weird because the Macbook pro loaner that I use in the lab has it displayed on the arrow keys and the mac keyboard for the mini has specific keys for it.

Whatever, I'm happy to be back home to the win7 :p

No labels here. Everytime I use my work laptop with Win7 I want my MBP back. Though it has more to do with the fact that its a nicer machine in every single way :p

You don't need a numpad on a laptop, but there would be more than enough space to keep the pg down/up, home and end on the apple keyboards...

You don't need a numpad on a laptop, but there would be more than enough space to keep the pg down/up, home and end on the apple keyboards...
They would have to do some rearranging and shrink some of the longer keys but otherwise I agree with you.

You mean on the side of the keyboard like on some PCs? I'm so used to know where the keyboard ends to punch Enter for instance that I don't think I'd like that :-D
Besides, as said earlier, the keys are virtually still there, you just need to push fn + the arrows :)

Maybe I didn't explain it right...
When you are dealing with external peripherals you have two factors for speed:
1) The throughput of the interface (basically how much data you can push through the pipe)
2) The speed of the storage device itself.

So lets say you have an HDD that is capable of write speed of 400mbps and a port that is capable of 500mbps (made up numbers obviously). In this scenario if you up the port speed to 1000mbps it won't make a difference in your transfer speed because the drive will be the bottleneck. Now if you have a drive that can go up to 700mbps and a port that does 500mbps, then upgrading your port speed will make a difference.

There are some other things involved here. When you are transferring one big file your speed will be higher than transferring a bunch of small ones because you are not wasting time on seek and creating new file and all that overhead. Also when you are going USB to SATA for instance you have some translation overhead because the controller has to convert between one standard of data transfer and another. This is one of the reasons why I only see about 440mbps out of my NAS despite it sitting on a 1000mbps connection, I'm sure the drives are capable of more speed but translation overhead kills you.

There is also the actual speed of your computer to think about. For instance iPhone syncs on my old laptop took longer than they do on the new one, simply because new one is faster so it can process w/e needs to be processed quicker.

That's a lot of technical mumbo jumbo there. :rolleyes:

Look, come up with whatever argument you want, fact of the matter is a USB 2.0 hard drive or thumb drive will be at least three times slower than a USB 3.0 drive transferring the same large file.

End. Of. Story.