Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

My kindle screen le broke. It was sitting on my desk snug in its Kindle Case with Light, and I heard a little "pop" sorta like the one that you hear when popping your knuckles, went to turn it on and the screen's gone all borked.

Calling Amazon now. I fully expect them to overnight me a new one Monday.

http://www.marco.org/2011/06/03/nook-simple-touch-review

Quite a sad ripoff of the Kindle, and the small improvements arent enough to move me from the Amazon camp, too late and too little, Amazon will come out with the next gen kindle soon, B&N released something comparable to last year's kindle :/

IMO it's a downgrade from the original Nook which did a lot more than this "new" model, and was actually unique with its dual screens.

My kindle screen le broke. It was sitting on my desk snug in its Kindle Case with Light, and I heard a little "pop" sorta like the one that you hear when popping your knuckles, went to turn it on and the screen's gone all borked.

Calling Amazon now. I fully expect them to overnight me a new one Monday.

Oh deer. But they'll probably take care of you. They have excellent customer service, and they certainly don't want people to get mad and start badmouthing their bread and butter.

IMO it's a downgrade from the original Nook which did a lot more than this "new" model, and was actually unique with its dual screens.

What was that second screen really for anyway?

I'm sure they will. Amazon has always had impeccable customer service.

(Case in point, my Grado SR-80s broke 3 days after I got them. Emailed Amazon, new pair are in the mail already)

Just Called, I'll have a new kindle Wednesday.

Last edited:
woot, speaking of Kindle i was looking at a few cases, but i really cant be bothered since i take care of my handhelds and i keep it in the lego stand I made when I'm not using it, how many of you'll have bothered with cases?

I think I'm gonna have to return the tablet. :(
It keeps uninstalling the drivers and it already has a dead pixel. It's not really worth it to me.

I think I'm gonna have to return the tablet. :(
It keeps uninstalling the drivers and it already has a dead pixel. It's not really worth it to me.

What are you trying to install? Maybe we can help out a bit.

Do you have a USB thumb drive handy, it might be time to install Windows 7 clean, without any Asus addons.

If the dead pixel bugs you, Asus is really good about their warranty: http://completewarranty.asus.com/Content/US/360/360.aspx

Is it a bright dot, if so, have em replace the panel.

I agree with trying a clean install, and I've just installed the trial of mirabyte FrontFace(three day, full featured) and it seems like it would be great for tablet use. Full license is $40, which is a bit lame, but may be worthwhile. If this works out, then get the screen replaced. If not, return and buy many ice cream sammiches.

What are you trying to install? Maybe we can help out a bit.

Do you have a USB thumb drive handy, it might be time to install Windows 7 clean, without any Asus addons.

If the dead pixel bugs you, Asus is really good about their warranty: http://completewarranty.asus.com/Content/US/360/360.aspx

Is it a bright dot, if so, have em replace the panel.
I am trying to install nothing, just the driver that makes the pen actually work properly, they neglected to install it. I THINK they neglected to install it that is, since it keeps uninstalling it they might have had it installed. This is not something that fixes with reinstalling windows, guess why I am using a mac? My windows 7 PC rejects my tablets. I though it only effected OLD tablets but the driver uninstall issue is a windows 7 incompatibility thing. <_<

Honestly, It's not all that better for me than my beat up graphire anyway. The lack of traction on the screen makes the lines wobbly if I don't go fast enough and the entire time I was using it I was thinking how I would like to go back and use my graphire instead... I'd rather have my money back then a replacement.

Yeah, but the original Nook was really slow and buggy. Nice concept but poor execution.

I am trying to install nothing, just the driver that makes the pen actually work properly, they neglected to install it. I THINK they neglected to install it that is, since it keeps uninstalling it they might have had it installed. This is not something that fixes with reinstalling windows, guess why I am using a mac? My windows 7 PC rejects my tablets. I though it only effected OLD tablets but the driver uninstall issue is a windows 7 incompatibility thing. <_<

Funny you should mention that, when I tried to finish a picture today I found my tablet drivers weren't working and I had to re-install them. :|

This has happened twice now in the month or so I've been using Windows 7, sometimes it just works fine though. Weird, I never had this issue with XP and my tablet isn't exactly old...

You could try running them in compatibility mode, as well as with administrator access.

Just the other day I was wondering if anyone had come up with a full replacement interface for touchscreen/tablet use in Windows. That FrontFace looks to be exactly it. I might give it a try though the regular interface isn't that much of a problem for me.

You mean stretch? You need an app for that. http://www.displayfusion.com for instance

no you don't o_O well... maybe if you want to stretch it, yes... :p
i have a single 3840x1200 wallpaper that sits perfectly across two screens... just set the damn thing to "tiled" or whatever it's called in english (dont resize, just put next to each other when too small, that setting)

displayfusion does look kinda nice though, thanks :lol:
just to comment on that: the damn program is utterly useless when using two screens of a different size. it is not capable of placing the wallpaper in the right position...
another possibility would be ultramon, havent tried it myself, but i will now... which in turn doesn't let you cycle through multiple wallpapers -.- this is getting annoying

Last edited:
Anyone use Nemulator? (NES emulator I really really like) I don't understad what I need to do to use my usb controller...

For those unfamiliar:

Just ordered a new socket 775 DDR2 motherboard. It hurts to buy such technology nowadays but I can't do any meaningful upgrades on this PC for $80, so it's just a stopgap. A PC with a dead motherboard isn't very useful for anything.

Meanwhile, my new Windows tablet is hooked up to my 1920 x 1080 monitor over HDMI, plus the keyboard and mouse over USB and the speakers in the headphone port. Suck it, iPad!

Funny you should mention that, when I tried to finish a picture today I found my tablet drivers weren't working and I had to re-install them. :|

This has happened twice now in the month or so I've been using Windows 7, sometimes it just works fine though. Weird, I never had this issue with XP and my tablet isn't exactly old...
:blink: But... you don't have a wacom. Windows 7 is incompatible with not wacoms too? FFFFF. Wtf man. But yeah the same thing happened with our desktop. It came with horrible windows xp media edition so I upgraded to 7 and the tablet stopped working. Even weirder, installing the drivers actually made it WORSE and totally unrecognized by the computer. I tried every freaking driver on the wacom site and none of them worked.

The revamped notifications system in ios 5 looks good, the tabbed browsing on the ipad looks good and they're finally use one of the volume buttons as a shutter button in the camera app. It's a shame we don't yet have widgets though, maybe next year.