Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

The computer killing is spreading, my work PC has started blue-screening on me. Why? Because of the graphics. Oh, how familiar.....

(my last personal Dell died 2 years into its life from a complete graphics card meltdown after many similar BSODs. Obviously my work PC won't have a graphics card, but still amusing how all my Dells die in the same way. Good reminder to do get an encrypted USB key and finally do a backup too).

I don't really care about processor speed if the user experience is solid anyway. It is just a number on paper. I think that is the only thing on the phone that could be described as last gen. And to accompany the processor and dedicated graphics chip it has 1GB of ram and 64GB of storage anyway, which look like quite nice figures.

Of course the real user experience still remains to be seen, but I'll rather judge a phone by that than any number on paper.

Last edited:
I am sorry I am apparently sending everyone some sort of virus. D:

I don't really care about processor speed if the user experience is solid anyway. It is just a number on paper. I think that is the only thing on the phone that could be described as last gen. And to accompany the processor and dedicated graphics chip it has 1GB of ram and 64GB of storage anyway, which look like quite nice figures.

Of course the real user experience still remains to be seen, but I'll rather judge a phone by that than any number on paper.

If the screen is a pentile display (which I think was likely) then thats another thing that is last gen. This thing has to compete against the sg2, sensation, iphone 5 and a whole host of tegra 2 based phones, this one does not compete in the hardware department at all.

If the screen is a pentile display (which I think was likely) then thats another thing that is last gen. This thing has to compete against the sg2, sensation, iphone 5 and a whole host of tegra 2 based phones, this one does not compete in the hardware department at all.
FTFY

Hardware and OS do not sell phones, availability of 3rd party apps do and Nokia is not even on the radar in that space. If they price this one at around a $100 or so it might make a nice feature phone....

I think my iRiver H10 has finally had enough. I can't play more than 5 songs in a row without it needing a restart and I can't even wipe the drive with the firmware updater. :(

Lasted longer than most friends iPods, so I guess it has served me well.

I have an iRiver H320 that still works well.

Hi all,
I'm looking for some advice and recommendations on hard drive enclosures. I'm looking for an enclosure that fulfills the following:

1. SSD compatible
  2. SATA II & III compatible
  3. USB 3.0 compatible and USB 2.0 backwards compatible.
I have a OCZ Agility 1 currently that's very soon to die, so I'm going to use that in the enclosure until it does, then replace it. Are there any enclosures that the forum community members most recommend that can fulfill the above criteria? Thanks.

Last edited:
SATA II compatibility is obligatory if you have SATA III compatibility.
USB2 compatibility is obligatory if you have USB3 compatibility.
A dieing SSD does not need anything other than power and SATA.

Hence you should be fine with any USB3 SATA3 enclosure.

SATA II compatibility is obligatory if you have SATA III compatibility.
USB2 compatibility is obligatory if you have USB3 compatibility.
A dieing SSD does not need anything other than power and SATA.

Hence you should be fine with any USB3 SATA3 enclosure.

Aye, all true, didn't really think that through as much as I should have. Probably need to add another criteria, usb enclosure that's powered by just the USB.

As such, are there any specific ones that people prefer?

Seems like my NAS drive has used up its second life, it's struggling to play videos and just copying files using teracopy is very slow. Strangely copying files using windows explorer works fine and is actually quite quick.

i5 2500k with stock cooler doesn't really work with 30+ ?C ambient temperatures. Actually, I just measured the temp on the case with it off and it was ~35?C. That translates to 40+ idle temps, so I'm not happy with that. With that said, I'm getting one of these as fast as I can

h60_cooler.png

I've never replaced a CPU cooler in my life so I have to clean the paste off. I'm guessing isopropyl and some sort of soft cloth?

I've never replaced a CPU cooler in my life so I have to clean the paste off. I'm guessing isopropyl and some sort of soft cloth?

since its a rather recent CPU i dont think the paste will have had the time to get properly nasty... so i think you probably wont even need your isopropy-something. so far i've always been fine with just cloth...

I've heard its best to use some rubbing alcohol on it in any case, just to be sure you get all the old paste off, as well as any other crap that might be on there. You really don't want anything interfering with your cooling.

Rubbing alcohol works fine, the surface isn't particularly delicate. I just use a paper towel.

Rubbing alcohol works fine, the surface isn't particularly delicate. I just use a paper towel.

Don't use a paper towel, you'll scratch the IHS. Use a lint free cloth for best results.