Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

And a ruined cloth. I've always used a paper towel without adverse effect :dunno:

i wouldnt worry about scratching the CPUs surface... its not polished anyway, so it wont matter much. i know a guy though who actually did polish the damn for better conductivity... didn't make that much of a difference though.

I have an iRiver H320 that still works well.

I have two of the H10s. They were refurbished units that I got from Woot and one was used primarily in the car and that battery is bad(constant charging?). The other one was used in and around the house and when I was going to be driving a different vehicle. It spent many an hour riding around on the tractor too. All in all they have served me well, but I think I will grab the decent battery and put it in the one that still works and keep it going for a while and start looking for a new one. Maybe an Xmas present to meself (awww, it is just what I wanted :p ).

i wouldnt worry about scratching the CPUs surface... its not polished anyway, so it wont matter much. i know a guy though who actually did polish the damn for better conductivity... didn't make that much of a difference though.

You still don't want to scratch it and it's easy to scratch using a paper towel.

I think this is a somewhat common practice called "lapping" but I'm no expert.

You still don't want to scratch it and it's easy to scratch using a paper towel.

i've always used paper tissues since i don't use paper towels anyway. so i admit, i wouldnt know, but thought those headspreaders would be a bit tougher...

me neither... shitload of pretty annoying work as far as i could make out and his temperatures didnt really drop noticeably, so i didnt follow it further.

Lapping is when you slowly grind down the IHS and the bottom of the heatsink to they're flat, since they are normally a bit out.

i've always used paper tissues since i don't use paper towels anyway. so i admit, i wouldnt know, but thought those headspreaders would be a bit tougher...

So did I, until I scratched mine using paper towels....

Last edited:
Lapping is when you slowly grind down the IHS and the bottom of the heatsink to they're flat, since they are normally a bit out.

that is what i meant by polishing... maybe not a wise choice of words since there is actually quite a bit of material that needs to be taken away, but still...

recently i haven't been too happy with the performance of my scythe mugen 2... i haven't changed anything but somehow my temperatures seem to be higher than they used to be. since i'm lazy i probably wont do anything about it (especially since the mounting procedure is a right pita), but i'd still like to hear whether anyone here has ever seen any real improvement by using better thermal paste?

that is what i meant by polishing... maybe not a wise choice of words since there is actually quite a bit of material that needs to be taken away, but still...

recently i haven't been too happy with the performance of my scythe mugen 2... i haven't changed anything but somehow my temperatures seem to be higher than they used to be. since i'm lazy i probably wont do anything about it (especially since the mounting procedure is a right pita), but i'd still like to hear whether anyone here has ever seen any real improvement by using better thermal paste?

I think it does play a role. Can't wait to get the new cooler, I haven't even played games on it a lot since the 2500k gets stupidly hot with the stock cooler(~65?C in ME2, some higher) and I'm afraid of damaging it. And yes, I know you can't really do that as Intel CPUs throttle themselves down at dangerous temps.

Your thermal paste has probably worn away.

So one of my hard drives gave me a bit of a scare today by refusing to work out of the blue. A restart didn't help, but after opening up the box and checking the connections it seems to be up and running again. However, I have a feeling that whatever I did was just a coincidence (The connections didn't feel like they changed even slightly while I was in there), so I've done some backups and I'm looking for a new hard drive to replace two of my aging drives. I'm considering one of these, is it any good?

The Deathstar? I have a whatever model 1GB WD and while it's a bit noisy it's pretty good. I also hear Samsung drives are good. My older desktop has a 8 year old 60GB Seagate that's still going strong and a newer but still old 320GB WD. Similar spec Seagate, $20 more expensive.

Oh, I never heard of that issue with them, but then again I haven't paid much attention to hard drives (Excluding SSDs) for a while now. That Seagate looks pretty good however, and has the exact specs I want.

This is what YouTube told me today:

"Please use your Google Account password to sign in. We no longer support signing in with your old YouTube password."

FUUUUUUU Google!

If I can find a clean soft cloth to clean the thermal paste I'll use it else I'll use some q-tips as I've seen most people use.

I did more than my fair share of bitching on here when my 6 year old PS3 died (right in the middle of the PSN outage too).

But now my faith is restored, my brother's brand new Xbox 360 S he got for Christmas stopped reading discs :rolleyes: