Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Trying to remove crap from netbook is unnecessarily complicated and I am starting to wonder if I should have just used OSX. Then I would NEVER HAVE THIS ISSUE AGAIN as I could boot from the external. Stupid windows not letting me boot from usb DVD drive.

Trying to remove crap from netbook is unnecessarily complicated and I am starting to wonder if I should have just used OSX. Then I would NEVER HAVE THIS ISSUE AGAIN as I could boot from the external. Stupid windows not letting me boot from usb DVD drive.

You should be able to boot from it..check the boot order in the bios (F2 on Dell's) and move the USB drive up to the first position

Doesn't come up as existing. Also, annoyingly the reinstall seems to have eaten up things, like the ability to remove the crap from fucking MS office that has eaten up most of the hard drive with it's useless fail so I need to go find an uninstaller that will hopeful take that shit out.

So what sorts of fans should I be looking for to replace the existing fans for my GPUs? I have 2x EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked GPUs and I'd like to buy more powerful and quieter fans since I have to run the stock fans at ~80-100% fan speed all the time in order to keep the temps to a moderate rate. When playing games like Rift, the speeds can go up to 75-78C on the first GPU (the second one doesn't run anywhere near as hot, but new fans for both would be better) and I think that's just a bit too hot for my liking. Since I have a job I can invest a bit more into fans than like $10 fans, but I'm not exactly made of money either. Also, the fans are extremely loud and even when my door is closed the fans can be heard half way across the house.

What would all of you recommend? (I like to hear what others would buy since a fair amount of you all probably know what is good.)

Also I greatly appreciate any responses to this since I really would like quieter and fans that can push more air away from the cards.

So what sorts of fans should I be looking for to replace the existing fans for my GPUs? I have 2x EVGA GTX 260 Superclocked GPUs and I'd like to buy more powerful and quieter fans since I have to run the stock fans at ~80-100% fan speed all the time in order to keep the temps to a moderate rate. When playing games like Rift, the speeds can go up to 75-78C on the first GPU (the second one doesn't run anywhere near as hot, but new fans for both would be better) and I think that's just a bit too hot for my liking. Since I have a job I can invest a bit more into fans than like $10 fans, but I'm not exactly made of money either. Also, the fans are extremely loud and even when my door is closed the fans can be heard half way across the house.

What would all of you recommend? (I like to hear what others would buy since a fair amount of you all probably know what is good.)

Also I greatly appreciate any responses to this since I really would like quieter and fans that can push more air away from the cards.

Try reinstalling the heatsinks with fresh thermal compound to see if that helps. It could be you just aren't getting good contact anymore.

Well I might try that. These Superclocked cards seem to just run very hot to begin with even with everything in order (from my own research I've done). The people who owned these before me always ran them at 100% and it isn't so loud when you just have one, but when you have two it's really quite unbearable. I'm pretty sure most of you would hate the sound level that these fans produce. (I have to usually blast speakers or my roommates do just to hear the TVs or their laptops, or etc.)

(A major part of looking for new fans are hopefully for quieter fans.)

Unfortunately this isn't a Windows thing but something that is handled by the BIOS. Installing OS X wouldn't fix it.

To remove my old power supply I need to remove the CPU heatsink (as a cord runs under the surround)....when I do this I should probably clean off the old and reapply fresh thermal paste?

Last edited:
To remove my old power supply I need to remove the CPU heatsink (as a cord runs under the surround)....when I do this I should probably clean off the old and reapply fresh thermal paste?

erm... yes... you have to if you remove the heatsink...

erm... yes... you have to if you remove the heatsink...

I was pretty sure of that fact, but it's all new to me. I've only ever upgraded video cards and ram... I guess you could call it a knowledge gap.

I was pretty sure of that fact, but it's all new to me. I've only ever upgraded video cards and ram... I guess you could call it a knowledge gap.

not too big of a deal really, shouldn't bee too hard or take too long.
... some people here tend to take it very seriously though ,what with not scratching your CPU with paper towels and whatnot :p

To clean my CPU I use a lens/glasses cloth and the ArctiClean kit.

41LPsjkPdoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Overkill? Definitely... but the $15 that that cost kind of got lost in the entire computer bill. I still wouldn't take anything less than isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth to my CPUs though.

Power supply installed! Wow is it a whole lot quieter than the previous unit....I also don't think I was getting adequate power as the computer seems to be running....better.

Edit: Ate some pie then installed the video card....all done!

Edit2: Ohh this card is delicious! Idle temp of 36C.

Last edited:
Power supply installed! Wow is it a whole lot quieter than the previous unit....I also don't think I was getting adequate power as the computer seems to be running....better.

Edit: Ate some pie then installed the video card....all done!

Edit2: Ohh this card is delicious! Idle temp of 36C.
Nice! What kind of pie?