Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Ahhh Verizon FiOS. Great at first, but you just wait and see what happens in about a year. Price goes up a lot more than what the customer service rep told you. If you need replacement equipment you lose hours on the phone, then the equipment takes a long time to be delivered (if delivered), then the company claims they never received your old equipment and charge you for it...

Just curious, how much are you paying for it?
Unless their ONT fails I am not planning on using their equipment, considering where I am I doubt it would take me more than a day to get new equipment anyway :) The good thing about my location is that if they decide to be bitches I can switch back to Optimum :)
That sucks, well cable sucks period it seems. My uncle has newly installed Comcast for internet and his modem keeps randomly disconnecting...only a pull from the outlet will solve it..it's annoying.
There is your problem :)
The Actiontec router is indeed a POS, especially if you get a early rev version. DSL/Broadband reports FiOS forum has the differences between the router revisions, as well as info on the D-link and Westell routers if you'd ever get one. (not likely now) They also have instructions on how to daisy chain the actiontec with another router of your choice. If you don't have FiOS TV, you can just chuck the Actiontec right out of the equation.
Yep that's the plan, I'm gonna ask them to wire the Craptiontec with Cat5/6 (if they don't I can wire it myself and call to change it apparently) and use the pfSense based router that I have right now :)
DIT: So, my phone's headphone jack is stupid (does strange things when headphones or aux cord is plugged in/touched) and I'm sick of having to choose between listening to music or listening to podcasts (My sansa clip backup player is 1 GB) so I'm considering a bluetooth headphone purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S305-Bluetooth-Headset-Packaging/dp/B002BH3I9U

Thoughts? (stupid editor keeps applying hyperlink to the first letter of the word after a link...annoying)
I hear bad things about Moto BT headphones but have no first hand experience. katwalk has these IIRC http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-906-Bluetooth-Headphones-Packaging/dp/B001TK3ACA/ref=pd_cp_cps_1

Last edited:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/as/astonmartin/2011/07/31/ffb.jpg

I know I shouldn't, but it's hard to change.

Needs more toolbars.

That is exactly why I still use IE. The last few Firefox's have been dire and lock up constantly. If you want a site to load fast go Chrome.
But, i'm highly lazy. I click the Google Toolbar arrow and I can search things again. I click the address arrow and I have all my sites I want in there.

One handed browsing is the future.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/as/astonmartin/2011/07/31/ffb.jpg

I know I shouldn't, but it's hard to change.
I actually think IE9 is great. Altough at work I am forced by the evil that is administrators (why do we run IE8 when we all run on Citrix'ed W7 desktops on W2k8 machines?) to use IE(8) which is a bit awful.

I actually think IE9 is great. Altough at work I am forced by the evil that is administrators (why do we run IE8 when we all run on Citrix'ed W7 desktops on W2k8 machines?) to use IE(8) which is a bit awful.

I use IE8 because i'm on XP, until a few weeks when i'm 7... and IE. :mrgreen:

We're supposed to use IE6 at work. I use Chrome.

We get to use pretty much whatever, even though the "approved" choices are IE 8 and Firefox 3.6

I've mainly had luck with Firefox so I just stay with it I suppose.

Also I gave in and bought a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 (as far as I can tell). I just couldn't resist it. I don't want/need a tablet, I won't do much with it. The superb battery life will enable me to just bring it (it's less than 3lbs!) along and not weigh me down.

(Pictures and nerd stuff to follow when I get it.)

God I love BlackBerry's email services. I had to configure my new university mail account on my desktop, laptop and tablet. It was a real hassle but luckily my uni has a great helpdesk which even supports Android devices.
Anyway, on my phone I merely had to enter the email address and my password and everything got sorted. :D

I have to use IE8 for couple of work applications otherwise Chrome all the way baby.

We have a few admin applications that don't support anything but IE, for example our phone system which just doesn't work on Firefox.

There's an application that some people use here to get maps with gas and electricity locations, which for the last couple of years has been on DVD. Not very long ago they decided to upgrade to an online system... that only supports IE6...

Naturally we told them where to go with that.

We have a few admin applications that don't support anything but IE, for example our phone system which just doesn't work on Firefox.

There's an application that some people use here to get maps with gas and electricity locations, which for the last couple of years has been on DVD. Not very long ago they decided to upgrade to an online system... that only supports IE6...

I hate it when things are made for a specific browser. There are two applications that I have to use with IE mostly because our target audience won't use anything but IE so no one bothers testing. Funnily enough one of the applications works fine on mobile Safari and Chrome but the formatting is a little off, the other one is IE only.

I have to use IE8 for couple of work applications otherwise Chrome all the way baby.

IE Tab is your friend. This one also gets good reviews. It exists for FF as well. It actually looks better in FF, IIRC.

I've used IE Tab before, but it was never reliable for me. In the end it was just less hassle to fire up IE.

IE Tab is your friend. This one also gets good reviews. It exists for FF as well. It actually looks better in FF, IIRC.
IE Tab has limiations, for instance if a site opens a pop up (something that's normal for the applications in question) it is opened in normal Chrome/FF also not all of the scripts work the same.

IE Tab has limiations, for instance if a site opens a pop up (something that's normal for the applications in question) it is opened in normal Chrome/FF also not all of the scripts work the same.

While I can't speak to scripts, I know at least one iteration of IE Tab has an option to allow any new windows/tabs to also use the IE engine. I think it might be Classic.

I use IE Tab at work, you can assign sites to automatically open in it so I just click the bookmark and it spawns in IE Tab automatically. Still there are a couple of sites that don't work right even in that.

So there is another nail in the Flash's coffin. Adobe is making a tool to make HTML5 based animation on websites, it's very raw at the moment but it looks like they are following "if you can't beat them, join them" policy. With the market leader in tablets and a vast majority of smartphones (since a limited number of Androids do Flash) not working with Flash it makes sense to try and establish themselves with HTML5 tools since they have a name in web design already.