Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

But I still don't like the fact that it's there! I'm terrified of key loggers.

I miss the old days, when the virus or a trojan was a separate service, easy to identify. Now they all infect svchost and you have bugger else to do apart from siphoning through the registry.

Switch to Linux :)

I wonder, now that I have a 802.11n capable laptop (Thinkpad X220), am I missing out by still using the old, trusty Linksys wrt54gl? I only kept it for long because I liked tomato.
Is there a no-brainer choice like 54g for n?

I wonder, now that I have a 802.11n capable laptop (Thinkpad X220), am I missing out by still using the old, trusty Linksys wrt54gl? I only kept it for long because I liked tomato.

Don't know much about good n routers, but the performance increase between 802.11g and n is dramatic, if you use the network for more than just your internet connection. Things like moving large files or streaming media are a lot more comfortable.

You are missing out on a huge amount of speed. No brainer choice for 11n is Apple's AEBS router, though no tomato support and is not nearly as configurable but very good router. This thread has a possible choice for you.

It's a bit pricey, but I after a few months I absolutely recommend this ASUS RTN-56U. It destroys my old router (which was not cheap and also N) in range, reliability, and speed.

Also, according to my family it's quite stylish. I think it looks fucking weird.

Last edited:
It's a bit pricey, but I after a few months I absolutely recommend this ASUS RTN-56U. It destroys my old router (which was not cheap and also N) in range, reliability, and speed.

Also, according to my family it's quite stylish. I think it looks fucking weird.
Reminds me of those Lady Gaga headphones.. We have this one at work, seems to be working well so far, it's been running for a couple of months.

Just ordered a set of Klipsch S3 headphones for only ?15 - on sale on Play.com.

The reason? My Logitech 200vis lasted less than 3 months before one of the earphones stopped working thanks to the internal wiring in the jack coming loose. I got a refund, but it still makes me wonder. I mean these will be my 4th set of headphones in my life. The first set of Sennheisers lasted more than 5 years before succumming to broken jack wiring. The second set of Sennheisers lasted 2 years before falling to the same problem. I then ordered a third set of Sennheisers, which were fakes so I got a refund and ordered a set of the Logitech Ultimate Ears, which have just died. It makes me think that I'm the problem here; and that the way I've used them is the cause, but I can't figure out exactly why. :rolleyes:

If these Klipschs die in under a year I'm going to be worried. But then I'll get them replaced under warranty so that's fine. :lol:

TomatoUSB is a port of the tomato firmware to newer n routers. Something like the ASUS RT-N16 or Netgear WNR3500L would do nicely. :)

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look. It doesn't necessarily have to be tomato, I don't use any advanced features, really. I'm sure any firmware these days will handle all my needs, just maybe wont draw all the pretty graphs.

Yesterday we filmed a little video to show how rubbish the Mini Boombox by Logitech (The Verge review - 4) is.

*snip*

Random Thought: Get several of those things, and you have ULTIMATE MINI BOOMBOX RACING!

I never thought I'd be glad to have my work laptop at home over the weekend. But in contrast to my own desktop PC, the laptop's DVD drive doesn't fail to read my far too old burned CDs and DVDs with photos etc. on it, which I have finally decided to transfer back onto my hard drive (plus backup USB hard drive) now that I have disks with enough space...

I want one when it ships with a case and a power supply. One interesting thing about production of Rasperry pi.

Rasperry pi homepage said:
I?d like to draw attention to one cost in particular that really created problems for us in Britain. Simply put, if we build the Raspberry Pi in Britain, we have to pay a lot more tax. If a British company imports components, it has to pay tax on those (and most components are not made in the UK). If, however, a completed device is made abroad and imported into the UK ? with all of those components soldered onto it ? it does not attract any import duty at all. This means that it?s really, really tax inefficient for an electronics company to do its manufacturing in Britain, and it?s one of the reasons that so much of our manufacturing goes overseas. Right now, the way things stand means that a company doing its manufacturing abroad, depriving the UK economy, gets a tax break. It?s an absolutely mad way for the Inland Revenue to be running things, and it?s an issue we?ve taken up with the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.

Last edited:
Continuing the rasperry pi business, lots of UK forumists over there are complaining that PSU's made in China (and specifically the plug) is dangerous because they're shoddily made. That's because of the uniqueness of UK home wiring right? Their plugs are filled with shoddy electronics, whereas our Europlug/Schukos are basically just insulation no? And if the PSU is dodgy, it trips the fuse in the entire house?

It is a bit weird this tiny thing is a "PSU" and costs $2.67.

Then again there are HTC branded chargers on Ebay for $5 with shipping.

Last edited:
A Schuko plug is just three wires going in and connected to the two pins and the grounding contacts plus lots of insulation.