Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Hey Eff Gee! I'm thinking of getting a new phone that will take 128gb sd cards. I really don't know anything about any of the different brands' special versions of android, ideally if I have to put up with one it shouldn't be horrendous (I probably won't root a phone again, I did with my current phone for like two things that I stopped caring about immediately anyways). Dem flagships are expensive, I might be willing to pay that much but is there anything lesser/older that I wouldn't mind? And by that I mean I have a Nexus 4 and have never wished it would perform any better, except that the camera is either shitty or I messed it up when I broke the back glass.

I'm off to the internets! Research topic hoooo!

Wow, I have trouble filling 16 and you need 8 times that? Unless you're watching full bd movies all the time (and why would you, on such a small screen), I wouldn't bother...

Wow, I have trouble filling 16 and you need 8 times that? Unless you're watching full bd movies all the time (and why would you, on such a small screen), I wouldn't bother...

Some people have huge music collections?

Some people have huge music collections?
So do I, but I don't want/need all of it with me at all times though. I'll need to wait for a 512gb card to be available to fit my collection, but at that point you've got so many files it's very hard to manage/find stuff in a 40,000 list of files...

hmmm... from a brand new (to me) laptop to hard drivery issues on the desktop :think:
Current Lacie external drive is behaving erratically, sometimes taking minutes to open a folder, sometimes not
The really annoying thing is that it kinda disconnects itself and then immediately reconnects itself, meaning my files I was copying/downloading get messed up...

Scans reveals nothing... is it dying? It is 4 yrs old though, which may be a lot for an external drive.

Got an answer : Its borked. Tech guy said the internals were litterally fried so nothing is recoverable. Thankfully I backed up my essential files and pictures 2 weeks ago, but my entire music collection (487gb and change) is lost (simply didn't have the space to back it up):(
(Started the collection way back in 1996 on dialup 56k modem)

Can the FG hive mind hook me up with some good music torrents? I like a wide range of music so try me. PM plz :)

Got an answer : Its borked. Tech guy said the internals were litterally fried so nothing is recoverable. Thankfully I backed up my essential files and pictures 2 weeks ago, but my entire music collection (487gb and change) is lost (simply didn't have the space to back it up):(
(Started the collection way back in 1996 on dialup 56k modem)

:hug:

And 1) I'm glad to hear that you actually backed your stuff up, but you need to automate that shit. It feels nicer to say "my essential stuff is backed up nightly" instead of "thankfully I did it two weeks ago" :)

and 2) A terabyte drive is chump change these days. Backing up 487GB is hardly expensive if it's stuff you don't want to lose. 18 year old music collection gone because you neglected to spend 99? on backup space? Ouch.

:dunno: I have exactly zero mp3's and zero movies on my phone and I have no trouble filling 32GB. I ran out yesterday, but then again 3GB or so was some HD video podcasts that apparently downloaded on my phone because I subscribe to them on my apple tv. The downsides of having things that sync together. :p

Between 8MP pictures, 1080p video and a couple gigs worth of maximum quality Spotify playlists, 32GB is not a lot. And some marine charts and offline car satnav maps for Scandinavia. And, well you get the idea.

We don't all use our phones to store torrented bluray rips, you know.

Last edited:
Only discovered these giant monitors recently. I made my dad buy himself a Dell U2913WM for office working, but this is a different thing all together. So much want... :woot:

Last edited:
:hug:

And 1) I'm glad to hear that you actually backed your stuff up, but you need to automate that shit. It feels nicer to say "my essential stuff is backed up nightly" instead of "thankfully I did it two weeks ago" :)

and 2) A terabyte drive is chump change these days. Backing up 487GB is hardly expensive if it's stuff you don't want to lose. 18 year old music collection gone because you neglected to spend 99? on backup space? Ouch.

Sad but true. Back in 08 when I originally bought the thing I had about 200gigs of music and 30 or so worth of pictures. The idea was to make a monthly automated backup, which worked fine. Until my collection grew to a point where I simply didn't have the space for a proper backup, and thus the backup drive became the main drive. Thankfully my old hd could (barely) hold my 20 years worth of pictures (grown to 200gbs since)... But the music is gone...

Currently looking at free cloud storage but nothing free comes close to 200gigs and most are very limited (be it in time, upload size or upload speed) :thinking:

Microsoft giving up on Windows 8, moving on to Windows 9 instead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/08/08/windows-8-updates/

Small wonder when 8 is actually *losing* market share to 7.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...share-down-slightly-as-windows-7-climbs-again

Microsoft backing down even more on 'no start menu' and killing charms bar/start screen/etc. (good riddance):

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-win...-add-virtual-desktops-drop-charms-7000032401/

Good riddance to Metro's major (dys)functions. Utterly worthless on the desktop.

Last edited:
Sad but true. Back in 08 when I originally bought the thing I had about 200gigs of music and 30 or so worth of pictures. The idea was to make a monthly automated backup, which worked fine. Until my collection grew to a point where I simply didn't have the space for a proper backup, and thus the backup drive became the main drive. Thankfully my old hd could (barely) hold my 20 years worth of pictures (grown to 200gbs since)... But the music is gone...

Currently looking at free cloud storage but nothing free comes close to 200gigs and most are very limited (be it in time, upload size or upload speed) :thinking:

:dunno: I pay something like 50 euros per year for carbonite.com, they store all my shit. Not sure why everything always has to be free.

Not sure why everything always has to be free.
2 years of subscription = one hard drive. May aswell buy a new drive then, saves tons of upload time on my shitty 20 down/2 up connection.

Cheapest Ive seen with no ads, limits or other bullshit (like you have to invite other people or share your own hd space) is 15? a month....Converted in hard drivery that would mean it would have to fail every 7 months....

Only discovered these giant monitors recently. I made my dad buy himself a Dell U2913WM for office working, but this is a different thing all together. So much want... :woot:

A) I always enjoy his reviews, rational thought process and personality. Great review.
B) I friggin want that, but will wait for one with that subtle curve he mentioned. :)

Apparently Dell are making a monitor with the same panel (U3415W I think - should launch in September). Hopefully it'll drive down the price once released.

Microsoft giving up on Windows 8, moving on to Windows 9 instead.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/08/08/windows-8-updates/

Small wonder when 8 is actually *losing* market share to 7.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...share-down-slightly-as-windows-7-climbs-again

Microsoft backing down even more on 'no start menu' and killing charms bar/start screen/etc. (good riddance):

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-win...-add-virtual-desktops-drop-charms-7000032401/

Good riddance to Metro's major (dys)functions. Utterly worthless on the desktop.

I've (notoriously here on FG) long stood as a Windows 8 user who doesn't mind the OS. But I have to agree that the OS launch was botched, the Sinfosky led team arrogant and perhaps overestimated the Windows userbase as a whole (sure there's power users who "get it" but there's also people who are computer newbs or really really hate change and get frustrated easily by it) the marketing poor (and what good marketing arrived far too late) and the app story lacking. Here's what should have happened IMO:

A proper pre boot tutorial (or what they've done in 8.1 with the tip overlays that go away once you successfully perform the action..like open the charms bar): When you change an entire usage paradigm that people have muddled through for decades suddenly and without gradually rolling it out across versions...it's going to be a shock to the system to people who only care about Windows when their at the computer store 8 years after their pc dies. The silent movie BS they do doesn't cut the mustard, most don't pay attention and it's so lacking in verbosity that it's MORE confusing to the uninitiated. They should have emphasized that one can search from the Start screen simply by typing. That's something that a lot of people STILL don't know due to Microsoft not discussing it in any "average consumer" marketing material. They added a magnifying glass that opens a search box instead in 8.1...whatever works, at least it lets people know they can search for what they need.

They should have gotten serious about courting app makers right away. Microsoft, you're not exactly berift of cash. I'd have done whatever it took to try and get app parity. I've used several excellent Windows 8 Modern apps and they're some of my favorites. But a lot of the big name stuff isn't there and what IS there is sometimes a step back in quality and features. While I love my Venue 8 pro and use it in a mix of desktop and Modern apps modes, more apps would be nice.

The marketing was a total disaster. Sure they got their act together with the "Honestly" ads that demonstrated the advantages of the 2 in 1 devices, touchscreen laptops, and tablets that Windows 8 runs best on, but by then it was too little too late. Word was out that anything running Windows 8 would pretty much stab your dog, kidnap your kid and key your car sooo yeah.

Their requirements were too lax for OEMs. IMO, any laptop or All In One sans touchscreen should have remained on Windows 7. The Windows 8 design just screams "touch me" but its frustrating for people to not be able to easily touch it and have to use the mouse. I got acclimated to the mouse commands and Windows 8's trackpad gestures to invoke app bars, the multitasking view, and charms but not everyone can do that. I walked into Wal-Mart (a fairly popular place for many to buy a computer here) and in their computer section were 2 20 inch AIO's sans touchscreen. Not a good idea when the OS is so touch centric. These systems were so cheap that they likely didnt come with the trackpads that make a Windows 8 non-touch system easier to use...leading to a potentially frustrating game of "find the hot corner with my mouse" for buyers.

The easier Start screen customization starting in 8.1 should have been there FROM day 1. Ditto the option to have the desktop wallpaper become the Start Screen background. That should have been turned on by default. While my PC is not running 8.1 (it's running Server 2012 that I got through DreamSpark...it doesn't update in place to the server equivalent of 8.1 for obvious reasons...) my tablet is and the option is a nice effect and I can see how it's far less jarring.

The power button should have been on the Start Screen from Day 1. Yes, most people just close the lid on their laptop and hit the physical power button on their tablet, but again...there's a sizable number of Windows users (whether it's grizzled power users who simply don't believe in Sleep or average joes (in tech support..i'd hear this all the time) who just want their computer totally off when not in use) who want a computer that turns off from within Windows, physical power button be dammed. It should have been there...they HAD to know that this would be the first thing people complain about...how could they miss this. I can only blame arrogance and not truly knowing the breadth of their userbase.

While some could argue that things like "boot to desktop" and "when clicking Start, go directly to All Apps view" should have been options from the get go, I could understand why they didn't want to do that: When you're trying to start a new, forward-looking, application and usage paradigm, the last thing you want to do is undermine your own new ecosystem. It IS a good thing they added this though with 8.1...it shows they're listening to feedback. Majority rules, even if it means standing still instead of moving forward (see Xbox One nightmare launch....although that could equally be blamed on the bumbling Xbox One head who was likely any PR rep's nightmare, saying all the wrong things to key demographics).

From the tech support side of things....the average 8 user's lack of navigation skills (not their fault...it's Microsoft's full stop for creating such a piss poor OOBE) made troubleshooting a nightmare, especially if they barely made it through using their 12 year old Windows XP pc that they replaced and now needed help getting e-mail off of. (that was a 30 minute long call...)

As mentioned above, majority rules, and as much as I wish Microsoft would sometimes "grow a pair" instead of being wishy-washy seemingly all the time, if most of your customers only want vanilla....not vanilla with sprinkles, or vanilla with chocolate ribbons...but just plain vanilla...then you gotta give em what they want.

What they should do next: I agree that Microsoft needs to provide Windows 9 for free to every Windows 8 customer. It's rumored to be happening but it NEEDS to happen. Too many are frustrated (I had many a customer call into *insert green and white hued telecom company here* DSL support and mention in passing how they begged for a Windows 7 or XP replacement pc) and there are too many low cost options for them to turn to that would honestly cover 80% of their use case today. The number of people who were setting up/using their DSL service with only a set of iPads/Android tablets, their Phone, or their Chromebook was kinda shocking..it's a significant amount and it'll only grow. Give them Windows 9 and say...idk 10 bucks of Windows Marketplace credit so they can start generating interest in the store. Partner with Best Buy, HHGregg, Staples, etc. to offer free 9 upgrades done by their staff. That would ease the fears of people not keen on installing a OS upgrade on their own.

They should provide 9 for very low cost to Windows 7 customers as well...these buyers will admittedly likely need convincing, but if they want people on the latest platform, they gotta court them somehow.

What they shouldnt do: Dismantle the Start Screen and leave people only with the Start menu. I find the Start menu woefully dated feeling and like using the entire screen to list apps in All Apps view. I enjoy the ambient information that Live Tiles provide on my Start screen when I boot up my PC or Tablet, and especially on "mini tablet" form factors, I predict the start menu could be a bit tricky to use unlike the Start Screen and the All Apps screen.

Give those of use crazies who like 8 as is they option to retain the Start screen and I'd be a happy camper.

EDIT: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/start-menu-will-replace-start-screen-threshold

So it's not an option but instead resizable...interesting...

Last edited:
Not a good idea when the OS is so touch centric.
That's the problem with the OS, it should not be on a desktop period, it's a mobile OS with some desktop mixed in.

...or really really hate change...

That pretty much sums me up...

I downright HATED the lack of a start menu and task bar. Sure, they sort-of added them back in later, but it still sucked as it wasn't a proper start menu (really just a shortcut to the Start screen).

That's the problem with the OS, it should not be on a desktop period, it's a mobile OS with some desktop mixed in.

I think Microsoft grossly overestimated the touch-screen market. Sure, tablets and touch-screen laptops are becoming more popular these days, but they still make up a fairly small percentage of PC sales. For non-touch-screen devices, the new interface is horrible!

One of my colleagues put it best;

"I do not want my computer to look like a f***ing phone!"

Last edited:
I connected the speakers up to the amp backwards, didn't notice the difference until I played with the balance. Pff.