Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

ok, so i just need to view the log files on w8
normally, you do right click on my pc - manage - log viewer

now it took met 30 mins of searching on google that i have to type comexp.msc to load the logviewer
and i'm sure i won't remember tomorrow what it was...

Thirty minutes of googling should have lead you to eventvwr, opening the event viewer directly rather than the component explorer.
Alternatively, press Win+X and you're there.

Win+search is the quickest way to launch an application. I use it all the time... :wave: My desktop is set to not display any icons.

I personally have frequently-used programs pinned to the taskbar (you can still do that in 8, right?), and less-frequently used ones pinned to the start menu (where they can also have a sub-menu of recently opened files, which is super-handy).

Thirty minutes of googling should have lead you to eventvwr, opening the event viewer directly rather than the component explorer.
Alternatively, press Win+X and you're there.

I got there in 3 clicks... :shrug:

Had a power outage yesterday that may have killed my hardrive I bought in November (?). The computer just hangs and then I do the startup repair and get a message to contact the admin /computer builder to repair or replace the HD...

Ugh!

Had a power outage yesterday that may have killed my hardrive I bought in November (?). The computer just hangs and then I do the startup repair and get a message to contact the admin /computer builder to repair or replace the HD...

Ugh!

That sux, try booting into UBCD and running some low level diags for more info, could just be the filesystem

ok, so i just need to view the log files on w8
normally, you do right click on my pc - manage - log viewer

now it took met 30 mins of searching on google that i have to type comexp.msc to load the logviewer
and i'm sure i won't remember tomorrow what it was...

All of your posts point to one fact and which majority of the people argue against Windows 8: It's a change they didn't want.

Everything that Win 7 did, Win 8 does similarly and sometimes even better. I have all my favorite/most used apps alligned in different groups on the start screen and if I can't find any, all I have to do is start typing its name and it's there. I don't even have to use the mouse for that!!!

Most people are either too slow to learn or arguing against it just for the sake of argument. There is nothing inherently wrong in Windows 8. People are too lazy to change their mentality. I am speaking in general not specifically about you...

All of your posts point to one fact and which majority of the people argue against Windows 8: It's a change they didn't want.

Everything that Win 7 did, Win 8 does similarly and sometimes even better. I have all my favorite/most used apps alligned in different groups on the start screen and if I can't find any, all I have to do is start typing its name and it's there. I don't even have to use the mouse for that!!!

Most people are either too slow to learn or arguing against it just for the sake of argument. There is nothing inherently wrong in Windows 8. People are too lazy to change their mentality. I am speaking in general not specifically about you...
It's more like a change for the sake of change with little additional functionality and in many cases decrease. For example big menu buttons optimized for TS, great if you have a TS but on a desktop you are simply decreasing the amount of real estate for the actual content.

actually the most annoying thing about windows 8 is that it doesn't think you would ever have any reason to touch anything in program files... at least they partly fixed it in 8.1.

So apparently the next big war is going to be in home automation. Samsung bought SmartThings (which makes me wonder what's going to happen with their iOS stuff) and Apple is already working with a bunch of manufacturers for iOS 8.

That sux, try booting into UBCD and running some low level diags for more info, could just be the filesystem

What? Could you translate that into English?

I finally got it to boot, but there is something wrong with the HD. There are several dead areas when I ran the scandisk etc. Just waiting on replacement drive.

actually the most annoying thing about windows 8 is that it doesn't think you would ever have any reason to touch anything in program files... at least they partly fixed it in 8.1.

for me the most annoying this is that you need to know what everything is called.
i know what all program in the start - accessories folder do, yet i have no idea what each is called
try starting those in W8, especially in a non-english version
or even better, i speak dutch, have an english windows, and have to give support to customers with a french version of windows

EDIT: it's not the most annoying, it's one of the annoying things...

Last edited:
What? Could you translate that into English?

I finally got it to boot, but there is something wrong with the HD. There are several dead areas when I ran the scandisk etc. Just waiting on replacement drive.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ you can grab this tool if you know your HDD brand (or have easy way of checking) they have some brand specific scanners that would be able to scan your drive and tell you more precisely what's wrong with it.

Okay, the power supply in my HP was dying. I was getting the blinky green light on the back of the pc...so I ued the 'hair dryer' trick to get it back up and running a few more times.

But this morning I finally decided to stop playing around and went and got a new one and popped it in. And realized:

Dear Lord! Was the fan on my old one REALLY that loud??!!

However...forgot to plug in the DVD drive to power...derp.

A) I always enjoy his reviews, rational thought process and personality. Great review.
B) I friggin want that, but will wait for one with that subtle curve he mentioned. :)

There's now been released a curved version (34UC97)...

LG-34UC97.jpg

RandyMarshJizz.jpg

:think:

Hopefully the stand is more adjustable than with the 34UM95. Will have to wait and look out for videos from IFA in a couple of weeks...

:think:

Hopefully the stand is more adjustable than with the 34UM95. Will have to wait and look out for videos from IFA in a couple of weeks...

It seems LESS adjustable.. The flat version had two height positions. (You had to remove and re-position the stand, but this one doesn't look like it has that option. )