Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Windows does not use drive letters internally at all. Instead there's a really logical (if unwieldy) system that can be mapped to anything. Because of legacy reasons back in the day (I'm talking NT 3.51 here...), letters had to be kept, and, well, shitty programmers assumed letters would still exist on NT as well, and consequently made it required again for NT-only programs :(. If they wanted to, MS could flip a few lines of code and have UNIX/POSIX-style paths for everyone, but there's just no point: good programmers know to use the correct representation, and shitty/lazy ones will use letter-based paths.
Small correction it uses letter paths because QDOS used letter paths and MS does not know how to tell its customers to STFU and change with the times.
Windows could have extra filesystems added, but nobody can be bothered to write new filesystem drivers aside from maybe Paragon, and the documentation as far as I know, is poor at best. As for needing new empty directories to mount drives, *nix also needs that. As for arbitrarily moving stuff like My Documents, Windows handles it pretty well: right-click folder, switch to "location" tab and move it to a new path. If you don't want to do that for every folder (it's a PITA), a pile of symlinks (yes, Windows has those too) will also do. Finally, you can't just change the partition mounted to /home on a *nix without repercussions. Stuff will break and reset, much like on Windows, unless you copy the data over first.
Far as I know there are Ext drivers for Windows and for sure NFS mount support neither are made by MS and are not present as defaults. Not that I am surprised by that on any level since MS never claimed to support open standards.*

*Funnily enough the "Oh so locked up" OS X supports NFS out of the box as well as NTFS read and write**.
**You have to enable NTFS write but it is in the OS by default.

Sure you can't arbitrarily move partitions around w/o copying data first that simply makes sense.

See above. Windows is at parity with *nix. Symlinks. Symlinks out the wazoo!
Sure... however we are not talking about symlinks here but rather mount points which are different as you know ;)

Small correction it uses letter paths because QDOS used letter paths and MS does not know how to tell its customers to STFU and change with the times.

Far as I know there are Ext drivers for Windows and for sure NFS mount support neither are made by MS and are not present as defaults. Not that I am surprised by that on any level since MS never claimed to support open standards.*

*Funnily enough the "Oh so locked up" OS X supports NFS out of the box as well as NTFS read and write**.
**You have to enable NTFS write but it is in the OS by default.

Sure you can't arbitrarily move partitions around w/o copying data first that simply makes sense.

Sure... however we are not talking about symlinks here but rather mount points which are different as you know ;)

Shitty devs hardcode paths :(. And these shitty devs sell Windows as a dep, so MS can't exactly tell then to STFU, as much as we'd like POSIX filesystems.

I've used a few of the ext drivers for windows. They all suck by being basically stuck at ext2 feature levels. The documentation for writing filesystem drivers is out there though, since stuff like IBM's GPFS has to use it in order to work in Windows environments. GPFS is aimed at clustered HPC admittedly, but it exists all the same and proves one can write real third-party filesystem drivers for Windows, just that nobody can be arsed because ntfs-3g is good enough for client usage and NAS/SAN over NFS, SMB/CIFS, iSCSI and similar are good enough for most other people. As for NFS, Windows supports that natively, with Windows Server having NFS server capabilities (not too sure about desktop though).

Finally, on the OSX native support, it seems to be unstable for writes, hence the disabling. I'll stick to recommending ntfs-3g or exFAT for now.

The mount point argument is a non-argument though: both Windows and *nix have basically the same limitations, with the differences attributable to the filesystem layout.

Finally, on the OSX native support, it seems to be unstable for writes, hence the disabling. I'll stick to recommending ntfs-3g or exFAT for now.
All NTFS write support is unstable even 3g says in the disclaimer that its unstable, also I'm pretty sure OS X uses the same driver its likely there as part of Darwin to begin with.
As for NFS, Windows supports that natively, with Windows Server having NFS server capabilities (not too sure about desktop though).
As of Win 7 definitely not, not sure if later versions have support for it well OOTB support there is 3rd party support.

All NTFS write support is unstable even 3g says in the disclaimer that its unstable, also I'm pretty sure OS X uses the same driver its likely there as part of Darwin to begin with.

Nope. What they mean by unstable for OSX is that it crashes and kernel panics, unlike ntfs-3g which works mostly reliably.

As of Win 7 definitely not, not sure if later versions have support for it well OOTB support there is 3rd party support.

I only have Win8.1 and Win10 machines currently, and on both cases, it's a simple case of ticking a checkbox in programs and features. The same method is also used for Windows Server 2008 and up. Honestly, I was surprised it was MS-built and supported when Adu mentioned it to me...

Nope. What they mean by unstable for OSX is that it crashes and kernel panics, unlike ntfs-3g which works mostly reliably.
Never had the issue and used it with an external NTFS drive quite extensively for a time...

I only have Win8.1 and Win10 machines currently, and on both cases, it's a simple case of ticking a checkbox in programs and features. The same method is also used for Windows Server 2008 and up. Honestly, I was surprised it was MS-built and supported when Adu mentioned it to me...
I guess they really want to keep their business presence seeing as how Apple has been getting bigger in that space thanks to their iDevices.

Never had the issue and used it with an external NTFS drive quite extensively for a time...

I guess they really want to keep their business presence seeing as how Apple has been getting bigger in that space thanks to their iDevices.

Apple has moved/is moving to SMB, deprecating AFS. NFS is a distinctly server-side request, probably from the virtualization people.

Apple has moved/is moving to SMB, deprecating AFS. NFS is a distinctly server-side request, probably from the virtualization people.

Apple has moved to SMB its true but it never dropped NFS support (now its not advertised at all but its there). NFS is kind of a big thing in enterprise, I work with a large number of differently sized companies and all of them use NFS.

A dude at work has a Pebble. It's really nice.

Anyone know why the fuck Chrome redirects to random pages? For example I type YouTube, it shows the main page in the address bar, I hit return and I get sent to a random page I've never visited on YT. Here and at work so it's unlikely it's on my side of things.

Been getting a lot of this lately:

Screen shot 2014-11-13 at 2.19.21 PM.png

Along with the entire screen distorting for a split second now and then, mostly with heavy Flash/video use.

Also the wifi drops often and refuses to connect to anything. If I turn wifi off then it refuses to turn back on. Only way to get it back is to reboot, and sometimes it needs 2 or 3 reboots.

Headphone jack is dead. Optical drive is dead. And the indicator light on the MagSafe only works 25% of the time.

Anyway, its a 2007 MacBook. Is this thing trying to tell me its close to death? (I don't care if I've already kept it too long. Up until a few months ago, minus the headphone jack and optical drive, its run like brand-new)

Last edited:
Been getting a lot of this lately:

View attachment 14817

Along with the entire screen distorting for a split second now and then, mostly with heavy Flash/video use.

Also the wifi drops often and refuses to connect to anything. If I turn wifi off then it refuses to turn back on. Only way to get it back is to reboot, and sometimes it needs 2 or 3 reboots.

Headphone jack is dead. Optical drive is dead. And the indicator light on the MagSafe only works 25% of the time.

Anyway, its a 2007 MacBook. Is this thing trying to tell me its close to death? (I don't care if I've already kept it too long. Up until a few months ago, minus the headphone jack and optical drive, its run like brand-new)

Try zapping PRAM, otherwise might be dying mobo.

PRAM already zapped. Ugh.

Looks like last years MacBook Pro refurb can be had for $1000. Pretty sure 4GB wont last though? Not entirely sure with OS X's new ram management system thing.

PRAM already zapped. Ugh.

Looks like last years MacBook Pro refurb can be had for $1000. Pretty sure 4GB wont last though? Not entirely sure with OS X's new ram management system thing.

I upped mine to 8 pretty quickly, but if you are not getting a retina display one adding RAM is trivial.

What are your specs, prizrak? Just trying to gauge what I would really need. I know 4GB is plenty for my MacBook, but I'm running Snow Leopard.

I was thinking about a 760, but with the sales coming up, I'll just save up for 2 more months and get a 970. It'll last a lot longer and is right now the best bang for the buck.

Actually, if they drop the price on the 970 a bit next week when the sales start, I'm getting one. It's almost the same price as a 770 now.

I have a 2011 13" base model macbook air with 4 GB, it's fine with Yosemite. :dunno: I don't do any heavy lifting on it though.

If I bought a new one today I would get 8 gigs for sure. And I'm fairly sure I wouldn't ever buy a MBP, it's too bulky. Too used to the air.

Thats good to know. I don't do any heavy lifting either. The most stress I put on the MacBook is Chrome with 6-10 tabs, Spotify, Mail, Twitter, BeerSmith 2, and Microsoft Office open all at the same time.

What are your specs, prizrak? Just trying to gauge what I would really need. I know 4GB is plenty for my MacBook, but I'm running Snow Leopard.

Gotta look it up dont remember off the top of my head, it's the first of the Sandy Bridge MBPs 15" basically all maxed out aside from RAM. Running Yosemite is OK don't really see any difference to be honest, it had 4 originally but I upped to 8 because its cheap enough. If you find that it's not enough for you once you get it it's user replaceable basically just pop the bottom off and thats it.