Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I had the caps replaced on mine, was 5 in total, monitor works like new, but if you dont want to take the hassle and it's an old monitor I can see it not being worth it

You might be able to sell it for some small moneys, capacitors are easy enough to replace.

- - - Updated - - -

Use it for target practice?
I mean, its perfectly good, just needs a new hard drive. This thing was probably $800 two years ago. Would prefer someone gets use out of it vs putting some big holes in it with 308 win.

So...I finally saw the laptop my brother's BF gave up on. It's a Acer Aspire 5522:

Specs:
Athlon 64 TF-20 1.6GHz
3 GB of RAM
160 GB HDD
ATI Radeon HD 3200 integrated graphics

I wasn't able to get the latest intel drivers on my D630 to do custom resolution - it seems to be blocked on my machine for some reason even with generic drivers, so I could possibly do so through the ATi Radeon on the Acer. I'll need to wipe the OS though as it's password locked and see if i can get to the recovery partition. Disappointingly the laptop doesn't have a HDMI out...but it doesn't even have a webcam on a device made in 2010.

I also don't know how performance compares to my Core 2 Duo T7100...for all I know it could be worse. :lol:

I mean, its perfectly good, just needs a new hard drive. This thing was probably $800 two years ago. Would prefer someone gets use out of it vs putting some big holes in it with 308 win.

Honestly...I'd be tempted if I didn't decide to go in a different direction. I'd say your asking price is reasonable for sure.

They will be hiking up prices by about 11-13% in Europe, though. But the amended original Reuters article doesn't specify if that's for all their products or just their best selling bluetooth speakers.

Well, they did say their sales went down. I know! Let's hike the prices up to compensate, that'll work!

Anybody know where I put my old monitor's base/stand? I couldn't imagine that I just threw it out after mounting the monitor to the monitor arm...could I have, though?

Well, they did say their sales went down. I know! Let's hike the prices up to compensate, that'll work!
The price premium is rather a consequence of the weak Euro/strong US Dollar. Every company that has manufacturing in Asia and sells in Europe is currently buying expensively (because they pay in USD in Asia) and selling cheaply. As a result, the majoriy of made in China products will become more expensive sooner or later throughout this year. And since almost anything is at least made partly in China, there are going to be a lot of price ups.

Last edited:
Anybody know where I put my old monitor's base/stand? I couldn't imagine that I just threw it out after mounting the monitor to the monitor arm...could I have, though?

I'm sorry, I thought it was not needed so I used it to support a picture frame.

Is there a way to do selective sync on dropbox on mobile devices, cause the app isnt clear, I want one folder to always be synced on the phone and tablet (the PC auto syncs anyway). Carousel only deals with camera uploads but im also wanting to sync whatsapp photos.

Is there a way to do selective sync on dropbox on mobile devices, cause the app isnt clear, I want one folder to always be synced on the phone and tablet (the PC auto syncs anyway). Carousel only deals with camera uploads but im also wanting to sync whatsapp photos.

You can "favorite" single files to keep them always synced, I think it works for folders too.

Cant see any option to favourite folders and favouriting 460 files, yeahno

OK so as I posted here I have a racing set up that now moves the wheel and therefore myself further away from the screen. As you can see in the picture there, the monitor is rather small from that distance. I've been looking at the option of getting a 4K monitor to go in its place, and the Benq BL3201PT seems to fit the bill size and price-wise.

However, I'm well aware that a single 4k screen needs a lot of GPU grunt.

Current situation: I currently have a single GTX 660 2GB, which has always been 'adequate'.

Solution 1: I have a second matching card but no physical space to fit it in, to do so I would need to buy a new case. Would a pair of GTX 660s be enough to run 4K at the same standard I'm running 1080p at now? See solution/problem 2.
Solution 2: I could by a GTX 980, in theory. I could buy two if I wanted along with the new case. However it has been suggested to me that the rest of the system might stop even one 980 performing at its best, could this be the case? Current specs:

• ASUS Rampage 1 Motherboard (old) - PCIe 2.0 x16 (x2)
  • Core 2 Extreme X9770 - benchmark is now below top end i3s...
  • 8GB HyperX DDR3

It's fairly old kit, should I assume that right away the lack of PCIe 3.0 is going to kill any performance?

This is mainly theoretical as I don't necessarily have the cash to throw at the monitor, the cards and certainly not a full PC rebuild, I'm just interested. Cheers :)

Last edited:
There's no point to putting a 980 on a 2.0 lane.

Get a new board/CPU and go from there.

Gaming in 4k requires at least one, preferably two, flagship cards.

There's no point to putting a 980 on a 2.0 lane.

Get a new board/CPU and go from there.

Gaming in 4k requires at least one, preferably two, flagship cards.

Got it, cheers. :)

Can't say I'm surprised. Apparently the BL3200PT was 1440p so if I really want a 32" monitor I could look for one of those instead.

Got it, cheers. :)

Can't say I'm surprised. Apparently the BL3200PT was 1440p so if I really want a 32" monitor I could look for one of those instead.
1440p is 1.8x the pixels of 1080p... So all other things the same you need 1.8 x the GPU to run same fps same settings.

That being said I have no issues at 1440p with my dual 290X setup.