Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Amen brother. Preach it!

This is 2015, that steering wheel should even be compatible with the 360.

That!

My G27 is compatible with PC and PS3. "Upgrading" to a G29 would mean dropping PC support, and upgrading to a G920 would mean dropping PS3 support, and none of them add what I really want anyway, XBox 360 support.

So I'll keep my G27, my PS3 and my XBox360, and more importantly, my money (by not getting a next gen console).

Edit:

Should have kept reading, I missed that part:

If you'd bothered to scroll down and actually read the spec (linked by yourself no less!), youd've noticed the following:

For the shifter, I can understand why they're doing it: I have a G25 myself, and I never use it. I hear the G27 feels nicer because they ditched the sequential knob option, but I haven't spent anywhere near enough time with a G27 to make a comparison (my desk also being a cheap ikea desk and wobbling under spirited shifting doesn't help either). The only reason I have it mounted on my desk is to use the controls on it, but with said controls relocated to the wheel itself, the shifter pod isn't as important anymore.

Blame Sony and especially MS for not wanting to play nice with each other. PC supports both wheels.

G29 might be considered further down the line then, if I ever see a reason to go PS4. Still not happy about lack of 360 support, and the separate model for the XBone.

Last edited:
If you'd bothered to scroll down and actually read the spec (linked by yourself no less!), youd've noticed the following:

For the shifter, I can understand why they're doing it: I have a G25 myself, and I never use it. I hear the G27 feels nicer because they ditched the sequential knob option, but I haven't spent anywhere near enough time with a G27 to make a comparison (my desk also being a cheap ikea desk and wobbling under spirited shifting doesn't help either). The only reason I have it mounted on my desk is to use the controls on it, but with said controls relocated to the wheel itself, the shifter pod isn't as important anymore.

Blame Sony and especially MS for not wanting to play nice with each other. PC supports both wheels.

I believe when I asked someone involved with Forza Motorsport on this forum they said it was out of their hands. The PS3 and PS4 work with Logitech devices that were designed to be PC only (G25 and G27) so my tendency is to blame Microsoft. It's all USB and is completely arbitrary. I'd buy Forza 6 in a heartbeat if it worked with my wheel even though I don't have an Xbox One (know a few people I could commandeer one from).

It's possible that Logitech wanted to design two different wheels, but that seems less likely. They can't expect to sell two wheels to one person so it just makes them look individually less appealing.

The PS4 does not work with the G27 as far as I know.

Oh right, for some reason I had GT6 as a PS4 game in my head. Honestly I would expect the next GT game to support it but we'll see when that time comes. Hell GT6 still supports my original model Logitech Driving Force made for GT3.

Perhaps it's better to say, it's not so much that the system natively supports it, but that developers are able to support it if they wish. On PS3 there are some other games that work with the G27, some even unadvertised like Midnight Club Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Maybe I just play games with way too many buttons, but I'm actually quite disappointed the G29/G920 shifter doesn't have any buttons on it at all - in Euro Truck Simulator 2, I use pretty much every single button on my G25 shifter and wheel. Heck, I've considered buying the G27 a few times just for the extra wheel buttons.

Maybe I just play games with way too many buttons, but I'm actually quite disappointed the G29/G920 shifter doesn't have any buttons on it at all - in Euro Truck Simulator 2, I use pretty much every single button on my G25 shifter and wheel. Heck, I've considered buying the G27 a few times just for the extra wheel buttons.

You could always get Saitek's new wheel they made for Farming Simulator :p

WR34Tc6.jpg

New laptop will be here Monday. It arrived at the DFW airport center this morning. 5.9 miles from my apartment and I can't get it until Monday. Waiting is such fun :glare:

The minimum specs for Batman: Arkham Knight for PC have been adjusted and are listed below.

We also want to note that there are some known issues with the performance of Batman: Arkham Knight for PC owners using AMD graphics cards. We are working closely with AMD to rectify these issues as quickly as possible and will provide updates here as they become available. We thank you for your patience in this matter.

MINIMUM:
OS: Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required)
Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2 GB Memory Minimum) | AMD Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB Memory Minimum)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection required
Hard Drive: 45 GB available space

nVidia is on a roll with sponsoring devs to use their GameWorks proprietary bullshit. I hope I'll be able to run it though there's a substantial chance it won't. Honestly, I can understand games like Unity not getting properly made for PC and such but taking money from a hardware manufacturer to cripple the experience for the others is just plain shit.

Oh, and this gets revealed less than a day before release, while I'm preloading the game.

This is the future of PC gaming?

8LCeM7a.jpg

Seriously contemplating picking up 2 980Tis vs 2 Fury X's next week, I may join team green here for just this reason. Too many games with driver issues on launch.

Meanwhile, I've just spent the whole of this evening banging my head against the wall with SLI.

I get really bad flickering (read: unplayable) when running some games in SLI + fullscreen mode. I tried to get Life Is Strange to work but it just won't. The only ways are to disable SLI on it or run it in borderless windowed mode. Some games like GTA V and DA:I work fine in SLI fullscreen. Some games you can forget about altogether like all Bethesda games (only option is to disable SLI).

My previous SLI build was twin 7800GTX's about 10 years ago. It's funny to see that the all the problems that were present then are still alive and well.

If I didn't need the power I would just settle with a single overclocked 980ti.

nVidia is on a roll with sponsoring devs to use their GameWorks proprietary bullshit. I hope I'll be able to run it though there's a substantial chance it won't. Honestly, I can understand games like Unity not getting properly made for PC and such but taking money from a hardware manufacturer to cripple the experience for the others is just plain shit.

Oh, and this gets revealed less than a day before release, while I'm preloading the game.

This is the future of PC gaming?
<snip>

Oh quit spewing FUD. Game devs want shinier effects, GPU vendors have said shiny effects and are happy to license it. Not sharing your proprietary code is a perfectly valid (if not much liked option). At the end of the day, both Gameworks and whatever AMD calls their dev-help division are NOT locking competing cards out of specific features, instead, both have simply optimized very hard for their particular GPU architecture (because why the fuck would you not). If you do the same sort of optimization on the CPU side, the same effect presents itself, but in a lesser form because the CPUs all run the same instruction sets (thanks to a series of back and forth lawsuits between AMD and Intel and some serious cross-licensing on various bits), compared to GPUs which run completely different instructions sets, that are completely obfuscated behind APIs like OpenGL anyways.

Meanwhile, I've just spent the whole of this evening banging my head against the wall with SLI.

I get really bad flickering (read: unplayable) when running some games in SLI + fullscreen mode. I tried to get Life Is Strange to work but it just won't. The only ways are to disable SLI on it or run it in borderless windowed mode. Some games like GTA V and DA:I work fine in SLI fullscreen. Some games you can forget about altogether like all Bethesda games (only option is to disable SLI).

My previous SLI build was twin 7800GTX's about 10 years ago. It's funny to see that the all the problems that were present then are still alive and well.

If I didn't need the power I would just settle with a single overclocked 980ti.

Interesting.. my 670s have been giving me a lovely time for the past 1.5 years that I've been running them in SLI (aside from some teething troubles with defective cards), running in games as expected, no stuttering or flickering, not even when I was running them in triple-screen surround mode.

Incidentally, the reason why windowed mode of any sort fixes your problem is quite simply because SLI hardly gets triggerred on windowed contexts.

That's because SLI works basically the same way as before, every GPU renders every other frame.

SLI can do both AFR and SFR. The problem lies in game devs not putting in the dev time and skipping SFR support.

I have no problem toggling it on and off. I turn crossfire off a lot. I play a lot of competitive CSGO (MG2 currently) and with crossfire on it likes to occasionally take big FPS drops that get me kilt. So I turn it off for that, then back on when I'm playing the Witcher 3 or something. My single biggest reason for wanting nVidia cards is Shadowplay.

I'm also considering forgoing a GPU upgrade for the time being and instead getting a 27-inch 1440p 144hz monitor, as it's not like my 290Xs have problems running the games I play.

I considered a single 980Ti / Fury X with a 144hz upgrade, but.... 40fps in AAA games at 1440p is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Needs less vertical video. And a bigger hammer.

The Sky box has turned magical. Usually when you want a film, itll download and after 10% you can start watching it.

However, I picked 3 films today and they were available instantly, with no downloading.

If they're smart enough they'll have known you would pick those three films and cached a few percent of each in advance.

I checked and erm, it turns out I downloaded them a week ago. Let's never talk about this ever again.