Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Personally, I've had good luck with Sony products. I pushed my folks to get a Sony Bravia 32" tv 7 years ago. It still works fine. There may be better options but Sony makes a good TV.

The low end Acer I gave my parents went through the 10 upgrade. So far, so good. DV8P though...still didn't get the notification

Forced the W10 update to both my laptop and desktop PC. The laptop upgrade went painlessly yesterday.

Desktop experiences so far from today:
- No probs during Windows install
- Installing NVIDIA drivers blackscreened the machine until hard-reset
- Mouse cursor is as broken as it was in W8
- Now when mouse cursor is moved, some elements flicker (seems to be a subset of elements, for example nothing in Firefox or the Windows desktop flickers, but all of task manager flickers)
- DPI scaling logic has changed again. I guess it's a step in the right direction (how it should be done, modern way, etc) but the net result is that for example Firefox doesn't scale at all and the UI is broken (for example, new tab button and minimize button are on top of one another)

Also I think the last 2 points are related.

Last edited:
- Mouse cursor is as broken as it was in W8

That's the first time I'm hearing that. What's wrong with the cursor?

And did anyone upgrade to W10 on laptop with switchable graphics? My friends Asus laptop with Intel HD and a nVidia 850m is having some issues. He mentioned blurry windows and issues with a black screen.

Maybe someone can give me some advice about tablets and privacy: I want to get one in the nearer future and there are a couple of things wrong with my i-phone that I don?t want to have when I buy a tablet. And iPhones and iPads are the only such devices which I am familiar with ... so: haaaalp!

I wanna be able to delete my browsers-cookies, block ads on some sites and NOT be forced to view "mobile"-sites (which means that the browser cannot identify itself - or not correctly). And getting "get the app" messages forced on me. Is there any tablet-os that will let me configure my browser in a way that I can avoid these nuisances?

Last edited:
You could also download Firefox (it's available for Android) and use that. It's very configurable and also allows add-ons...

iOS 9's Safari will come with built-in adblocker, and the ads that open the AppStore should be fixed by then(iirc they were fixed but of course the ad makers found a way around).

That's the first time I'm hearing that. What's wrong with the cursor?

The black outline and drop shadow on the cursor is not working, which means the cursor is white (not so great on a white or very light background). It's a very niche issue that I've only seen on my previous and current machines. It's probably caused by one or more of the following:
* 4K resolution
* 200% scaling
* 4:2:0 chroma

As a workaround I'm using the black cursor in W10.

The low end Acer I gave my parents went through the 10 upgrade. So far, so good. DV8P though...still didn't get the notification

I had to force it on my DVP8. It also kept erroring out until I did a factory reset and immediately forced the update without installing any further windows updates for 8.1. I think is had to do with how little room was left on the tablet.

Aaaand Im still on Win7. My key which activated 7 just fine all those years ago doesn't work on 10..... Whatevers!

Aaaand Im still on Win7. My key which activated 7 just fine all those years ago doesn't work on 10..... Whatevers!

You have to upgrade from Windows 7 first. After you do that once, the key should work with 10.

I had to force it on my DVP8. It also kept erroring out until I did a factory reset and immediately forced the update without installing any further windows updates for 8.1. I think is had to do with how little room was left on the tablet.
Gotcha! Yeah I had to do the same thing. Its upgrading now. :)

The black outline and drop shadow on the cursor is not working, which means the cursor is white (not so great on a white or very light background). It's a very niche issue that I've only seen on my previous and current machines. It's probably caused by one or more of the following:
* 4K resolution
* 200% scaling
* 4:2:0 chroma

As a workaround I'm using the black cursor in W10.

Ahh. Never heard that one. I don't have those problems but I stumbled upon this sometime back and have been using it ever since.

iOS 9's Safari will come with built-in adblocker, and the ads that open the AppStore should be fixed by then(iirc they were fixed but of course the ad makers found a way around).
Which is nice, but it addresses none of the other things I want to avoid ... problem is, I want control over my browser but apple doesn?t wanna give it to me. Even if I use the chrome browser for iOs, the problems stay the same. And while I can live with that on my phone, I want to use the tablet much more like a PC - especially the browser.

In related questions: does anyone have experiences running Linux on tablets?
No experience, but it seems like you're missing an obvious choice - a Windows tablet.

*use the browser you want with all the privacy tweaks your heart desires

*works like a PC...cause it is one - don't like a setting, switch it off or go into the registry to remove it entirely/be doubly sure.

*supports every desktop app. Windows Store apps are checked for privacy, security, and quality, Apple style (they slipped a bit on the last aspect for a while but people bitched so they have been cleaning house.

My Dell Venue got the upgrade to Windows 10 and its great. Fear mongers have raised concerns about privacy but:

*you can toggle these off during setup

*many are "opt-in" ex- cortana, wi-fi sense (actually a security feature that means you don't need to give out your wi-fi password to friends AND means you're not filling out dubious forms with your info to use public wi-fi...but people misread MS's shitty description), apps that ask for use of camera, microphone, location, etc.

*if you want to be doubly sure (like a lot of redditors seem to) just edit the registry to disable any features.

For what it's worth, I have left the features at their default settings.

To me, Microsoft has demonstrated that they're willing to go to bat to protect their users privacy, plus I know crash data can help make W10 better over time because of its SAAS nature now.

But the cool part about it being a PC is that, if I wanted to, I COULD go into registry and strip it out if I was overly paranoid that the off switches in PC Settings do nothing.

Hell, pick the right kind of tablet and you could get a laptop at the same time (convertible 2 in 1).

Back to your question- its possible to rub Linux on tablets but I'd look at older convertible tablet PC's like Lenovo ThinkPad's that have known good Linux support + a keyboard and mouse to use in case the touchscreen goes tits up during the install.

Edit: this may be a option for you: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/linux/how-install-ubuntu-touch-image-3531970/

Note that it isn't exactly non beta quality though.

Last edited:
No experience, but it seems like you're missing an obvious choice - a Windows tablet.

*use the browser you want with all the privacy tweaks your heart desires

*works like a PC...cause it is one - don't like a setting, switch it off or go into the registry to remove it entirely/be doubly sure.

*supports every desktop app. Windows Store apps are checked for privacy, security, and quality, Apple style (they slipped a bit on the last aspect for a while but people bitched so they have been cleaning house.

My Dell Venue got the upgrade to Windows 10 and its great. Fear mongers have raised concerns about privacy but:

*you can toggle these off during setup

*many are "opt-in" ex- cortana, wi-fi sense (actually a security feature that means you don't need to give out your wi-fi password to friends AND means you're not filling out dubious forms with your info to use public wi-fi...but people misread MS's shitty description), apps that ask for use of camera, microphone, location, etc.

*if you want to be doubly sure (like a lot of redditors seem to) just edit the registry to disable any features.

For what it's worth, I have left the features at their default settings.

To me, Microsoft has demonstrated that they're willing to go to bat to protect their users privacy, plus I know crash data can help make W10 better over time because of its SAAS nature now.

But the cool part about it being a PC is that, if I wanted to, I COULD go into registry and strip it out if I was overly paranoid that the off switches in PC Settings do nothing.

Hell, pick the right kind of tablet and you could get a laptop at the same time (convertible 2 in 1).

Back to your question- its possible to rub Linux on tablets but I'd look at older convertible tablet PC's like Lenovo ThinkPad's that have known good Linux support + a keyboard and mouse to use in case the touchscreen goes tits up during the install.

Edit: this may be a option for you: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/linux/how-install-ubuntu-touch-image-3531970/

Note that it isn't exactly non beta quality though.

Hate to agree since I dislike Winblows but it does make sense. I would think you could get Linux to work on any Android tablet seeing as how Android is Linux, of course its the question of whether you want to try to extract the drivers from Android OR if someone made it easy already.

You could also probably Hackintosh a Windows tablet but that seems like way more trouble than it's worth.

And did anyone upgrade to W10 on laptop with switchable graphics? My friends Asus laptop with Intel HD and a nVidia 850m is having some issues. He mentioned blurry windows and issues with a black screen.

I just updated my Asus G550JK with the same graphics configuration. No issues whatsoever. I even used it for some time before getting the W10 compatible Nvidia driver through their "GeForce Experience" program.

Windows tablet was the solution for me, I was too early and my tablet has aged extremely poorly (Acer Iconia Tab W500) but I hate mobile OS with a passion so I still prefer it to an iPad.

Hate to agree since I dislike Winblows but it does make sense. I would think you could get Linux to work on any Android tablet seeing as how Android is Linux, of course its the question of whether you want to try to extract the drivers from Android OR if someone made it easy already.

You could also probably Hackintosh a Windows tablet but that seems like way more trouble than it's worth.

But aside from Launchpad, OS X isn't really touch friendly. At least on Windows 10 title and menu bars are larger on a touchscreen.

You can try Ubuntu Touch via that pc advisor link but until they have a official Ubuntu tablet out, anything you install will be just a work in progress. There's a build for the Nexus 5 but I haven't bothered since if something happens...there goes my only cell phone!

Windows tablet was the solution for me, I was too early and my tablet has aged extremely poorly (Acer Iconia Tab W500) but I hate mobile OS with a passion so I still prefer it to an iPad.

Have you tried the RTM of 10 on it yet?

Edit:

lxTJFDE.jpg

And so it begins

Last edited: