Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I bet it is getting a +12V input, or it is not a true plasma type tube.

Jesus... $300+ for two 8gb sticks.

- - - Updated - - -

From a review I just found:
I used to own a plasma ball in the past and knew that if you touched the ball when it was running the lightning would jump to your fingers. I can confirm that the same is true for these memory modules as well, with the tubes lighting up brighter as you touch them (although of course I don?t condone sticking your fingers inside a powered up machine!).

No mention of another power source.

Got an email at work today

...Your computer is scheduled to receive this BIOS update between January 25 and March 18, and it will take approximately 20-30 minutes to install. During the installation and reboot process, your computer will not be usable...

Gee, thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to plan around that timing window.

Geesh, you'd think they'd schedule that overnight...

Wouldn't it be likely that they just forgot to include the line that says, " As we get closer, the day prior to your installation, we will let you know when we are planning to perform the task so you can plan around this down-time." I'd hope so, at least...

Those things are a pain to get replacement parts for, especially an old model like that. No point buying yourself in to trouble later on. Surely that's overkill too, wouldn't you want something smaller like a net-top?

I just got a notification thing on this Windows 10 laptop that someone who is clearly one of those spammy sex chat bots wants to add my contact on skype.

Uh, why is that running? I never installed skype, nor did I enable it to do anything if for some reason Windows preinstalled it for me. I guess then Windows linked my email address to a skype account I haven't touched in probably 5 years at least. There's a line which has been crossed here, and I ain't all peachy over it.

I just got a notification thing on this Windows 10 laptop that someone who is clearly one of those spammy sex chat bots wants to add my contact on skype.

Uh, why is that running? I never installed skype, nor did I enable it to do anything if for some reason Windows preinstalled it for me. I guess then Windows linked my email address to a skype account I haven't touched in probably 5 years at least. There's a line which has been crossed here, and I ain't all peachy over it.
Are you signed in with a Microsoft Account?

Was thinking of something like this.

Those things are a pain to get replacement parts for, especially an old model like that. No point buying yourself in to trouble later on. Surely that's overkill too, wouldn't you want something smaller like a net-top?

"Repair" it by replacing it with an entire new machine when it breaks. Also, Dell Optiplexes are super, super tough.. Had one of those running 24/7 in 35+?C in Aussie summer with no issues as a router for a while. Eventually gave it away to a friend and it's continued its job as a glorified router since then. Pretty solid considering it's run 24/7 for essentially 5 years straight...