Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

The sound makes me think a capacitor is dying (has died) in the tablet itself. Maybe...

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to word my question to be able to search for it...

Google Sheets:
I already have the top two rows frozen so that they are always visible when I scroll down. As you scroll down, though, there are rows that introduce multiple cities for this client, with their projects listed below that City line. Is there a way to "hold" that city title line through a scroll until you get to a new one?

For example:

Lines 1 and 2 are already "frozen" at the top.

Line 3 is the "San Francisco" line. Then there are 20 or so lines of projects for San Francisco.
Line 23 is the "Los Angeles" line. Then there are 15 or so projects for that City.
Line 39 is the "New York" line. Then there are 10 lines of projects for NY.

Is there a way for lines 1 and 2 to always stay there, and then have 3 stay there until I get to 23. Then 3 goes away and line 23 stays just below 1 and 2 until I get to 39. Then 23 goes away, and 39 stays under 1 and 2 until I get to the next city's line.

Is that possible in Sheets? I believe I've seen something like that in Excel, but I don't remember what it was called to be able to search for it for either program.

Hot damn :eek: That thing fixes one of the biggest issues I've ever seen with all drones until now... and it comes with all the intelligent collision protection and everything from the phantom 4 as well. hngnnnn...

Yeah, DJI pretty much obsoleted the Phantom 4 with the Mavic. P4 has absolutely minor advantages in "number" specs (1080p120 vs 1080p96, 20m/s top speed vs 18m/s, 6000m max pressure altitude vs 5000m, etc.), but looking at the overall picture, the Mavic is just better: much smaller and lighter, foldable form-factor, longer range, better collision avoidance, new follow-me modes. And it's cheaper, too. There's literally no more reason to buy a P4.

Last edited:
Exactly. And I feel they mostly obliterated the GoPro Karma as well... I mean, I still feel that having an attachable gopro is just a better solution than what DJI is offering in principle (because of the added flexibility), but that thing is simply so friggin tiny!

Karma's only advantage is the detachable GoPro. However, some people don't see it is an advantage because of the wide-angle lens - it works for action sports, but little else. There's a reason DJI has been putting non-distorting 90? FoV lenses on their cameras since the Phantom 2 Vision - for "normal" aerial filming, it's just better suited in most cases.

Technologically, Karma is effectively a generation behing the P4 and the Mavic. No follow-me, no collision avoidance, very average flight time of ~20 minutes - that's competitive against the Phantom 3 range, but not the P4 and definitely not the Mavic.

With the way DJI has priced the Mavic it seems like either they'll obsolete or move the phantom line upmarket. For the average user it seems like the mavic is a much better choice with its smaller size whilst retaining pretty much all the phantom features.

I've been waiting for something like this....the phantom was just too bulky for me to carry around on a regular basis. The Mavic is much more travel friendly.

To me it'd be more interesting if DJI made something cheaper in the 500 price bracket....I reckon if they can bring something to the market at that price range it'd take a lot of the drone marketshare.

Last edited:
Yeah, true enough. If they'd have ditched a few of the safety and comfort features and slashed the price a little, it would be even more appealing :nod:

What I realized later yesterday: they claim a 7 km (!) range for the remote o_O

To me it'd be more interesting if DJI made something cheaper in the 500 price bracket....I reckon if they can bring something to the market at that price range it'd take a lot of the drone marketshare.

Note how the current Mavic is called "Mavic Pro". I bet there'll be a trimmed-down "Advanced" and/or "Standard" release at a lower price point later on, possibly lacking collision avoidance and/or the dedicated controller (only flown via smartphone, which is already possible with the Mavic Pro), or other features.

Last edited:
I wonder how much they could cut out of the mavic to make it cheaper though.

Well, they could take away a lot of the "intelligence" and make it a more stupid drone. Compare a Phantom 3 to a Phantom 4 and I guess that is exactly what they could do... strip away collision detection, following/tracking, gesture detection, that kind of stuff :dunno: That would sort of make sense to me.

edit: Also, because I'm a sucker and a child who needs expensive toys, I've pre-ordered one :|

Last edited:
edit: Also, because I'm a sucker and a child who needs expensive toys, I've pre-ordered one :|

:thumbsup:

I also like expensive toys, but since I have kids, I can't afford one (not with my current expensive hobbies, like motorcycles). Can't wait to see your first videos.

In 6 months or so, the next version will be ready and the price will drop.

Yes, and the next one will have more features for even less money... if you follow that sort of thinking too far, you'll never get one :D Also: I don't care, I wannit nao!!!

It does look tempting. If I could make it pay for itself, and the accessories, I would get one.

You know even I'm tempted to get involved. I can certainly see uses for it and with the finance deal Jessops are offering I'd hardly notice the cost. It's almost like a flying tripod but with a better camera than anything I own. :think:

It does look tempting. If I could make it pay for itself, and the accessories, I would get one.

Sadly the chances are that will never happen, it's just too expensive. If you factor in the cost of your time editing stuff the level where you could get money from it then you'd be much better off keeping it as a hobby and doing something else to pay for it.

I personally see these as a hobby and if it got me a free beer every so often then great, if it went further then that's even better but I wouldn't expect it. :)

Last edited:
I personally see these as a hobby and if it got me a free beer every so often then great, if it went further then that's even better but I wouldn't expect it. :)

That's the way I see it, purely as a toy, really. That way I'm completely aware of what kind of cost I'm sinking into this and will never even expect to get a single cent of that back :dunno: Don't have to see everything as a financial investment, this is purely an investment into my own personal lulz :p

Yeah. As someone who actually did aerial photography commercially for a while a few years back: it's not really doable anymore, unless you sink a lot of time and money into it and work with a proper production company. Lower-end market is oversaturated, and prices for aerial work are extremely low in the kinds of work that's doable with a Phantom (or a Mavic). I've long since decided to continue flying purely as a hobby, and this has definitely saved my enjoyment of it.

I've long since decided to continue flying purely as a hobby, and this has definitely saved my enjoyment of it.

It's a shame that, as with most things, technological advancements have made things unprofitable for people who have developed skills that were previously beyond most people. It's great that you're still able to enjoy the hobby though.