Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Yeah. I use google docs one week out of the year. We get an excel doc to enter in for inventory control that's submitted at the end of the first week of January. Due to the volume of shit, we put 2-3 people on inventory duty and we share the doc.

I have a couple years worth of those, I guess I should remove them since the last time I was around for inventory was 2 years ago.

So: When travelling to England and The Netherlands, to make sure i'm understanding correctly:
- Netflix: I'll only be able to watch items available in whatever country I happen to be in, even though I have a US subscription.
- Hulu is not available in either of these countries, even though I have a US subscription
- Amazon Prime will offer a "carousel of selections" available while travelling abroad, basically exclusively of Amazon originals, even though I have a US subscription.

Short of figuring out what a VPN/DNS is and how to use them, am I understanding the limitations correctly?

I don't use Hulu or Prime, but the Netflix offerings outside the U.S. aren't half bad!

I'll have to mention this to my coworkers and possibly send a email with instructions on removing the app permissions (supposedly one can use GAM to do this but I've never done it this way): https://www.reddit.com/r/k12sysadmi...as_shared_a_document_on_google_docs_with_you/

If anyone wants to check for and remove the permission manually: https://myaccount.google.com/permissions?pli=1

You should periodically go through this anyway and clear out any things that you no longer use.

Thankfully, since so much of the phish depended on Google's own services, Google was able to purge everyone's connections to the fake Docs app. I agree it's probably a good idea to go through there and remove old permissions, though.

Thankfully, since so much of the phish depended on Google's own services, Google was able to purge everyone's connections to the fake Docs app. I agree it's probably a good idea to go through there and remove old permissions, though.

They even used Google Analytics to track the spread.

Managed to fall victim to a phishing attempt. I'm usually so good about these things, but somehow I blew right through the warning signs on this one.

They're getting sophisticated. Pretending to be a Google app using Google APIs. Got an email from a friend sharing a file via Google Docs, that then asked for permissions, which I blew through because I was actually expecting a shared file a few days ago that didn't come. Now I feel so stupid and violated.

This is why I have a Nextcloud server that is set up in my own house that I use for that kind of stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

So: When travelling to England and The Netherlands, to make sure i'm understanding correctly:
- Netflix: I'll only be able to watch items available in whatever country I happen to be in, even though I have a US subscription.
- Hulu is not available in either of these countries, even though I have a US subscription
- Amazon Prime will offer a "carousel of selections" available while travelling abroad, basically exclusively of Amazon originals, even though I have a US subscription.

Short of figuring out what a VPN/DNS is and how to use them, am I understanding the limitations correctly?

A peripherally-related question:
What's the cheapest-yet-not-utter-crap Android tablet, even if it's a no-name or off-brand from eBay?

I've done several google searches for reviews/ratings, and they all basically just rank the ones one could find at Best Buy, none of them being as cheap as I'd like. Wi-Fi only is A-OK. I thought about the Fire HD 8 32GB, but that's pushing me over $100, for something that isn't Android. Ideally 2GB ram, but no less than 1GB, and preferably less than 2.5lbs. OK with 8" screen or larger. I see the RCA Galileo which comes with a detachable keyboard case, but it's 3lbs.

Netflix and Amazon have offline viewing now, so you can download some stuff before hand. Setting up home VPN like Adamar said is definitely a possibility. It's relatively easy to do and openvpn is free.

Any reason why my Lenovo yoga 4's fan stopped working since I clone the hard drive to an SSD?

It comes on when I press the power button for a few seconds and it goes off again.

Last edited:
Anyone used a Blue Yeti with a USB power bank to provide analogue audio through the monitoring port? Just an idea that popped in to my head, I tried with a couple and got nothing so wondering if anyone has managed it.

Any reason why my Lenovo yoga 4's fan stopped working since I clone the hard drive to an SSD?

It comes on when I press the power button for a few seconds and it goes off again.

I'd assume it just isn't getting hot enough, the HDD must've been generating enough heat to bring the fans in but the SSD is not. Either that or the SSD is lacking a temp sensor and is upsetting the fan control. Both of my SATA SSDs are reporting temps in S.M.A.R.T but I guess yours is mSATA or M.2. The fans on my Thinkpad Helix cycle on and off on startup and won't come back on for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Nah it's the old 2.5". I put the old drive back in (back cover was off) and tried. Same thing.

SSD reports a temp. I ran a CPU test and got the thing to 65C. Shouldn't that be enough to get the fan to come on even if it's just low?

Did you change anything in the bios/uefi?

After cloning, something got botched and once I tried starting, I got a BSOD stating winload.efi was missing or corrupt. Found a page on how to restore it with a windows 10 USB recovery thing (made a recovery with my HP Spectre). Did it through command prompt and she started.

This is what I used: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...ile-Windows-system32-winload-efi/td-p/5106929

Around lunch time at work I put my hand near the vent exhaust and it felt quite hot(similar to a MacBook). FanSpeed reported CPU 0 and 1 to be in the high 40s, low 50s. Everything else was cool.

Reason I'm freaking because, every program I opened while running on the HDD caused the fans to come on during the starting process. Same with the boot up process once I logged in and all the background shit was loading. Now that it's completely silent, I'm worried about frying something.

'Nother edit.

Spent the afternoon at work reinstalling intel emi (?), chipset, Lenovo power management. Also did a bios update as the Lenovo driver page said it needed one. Installing the power manager driver didn't give me a program to monitor fan control like screenshots online perceive.

Last edited:
Yeah some Lenovo stuff is picky when it comes to drivers esp around power management.

I don't know if ThinkVantage Tools work on the Yogas but if so, Lenovo System Update should find the drivers and other shit you need.

The yoga 4 has a redesigned built in battery and the plug felt near impossible to remove so I left it for fear of tearing wires out of the plug. I'll try different software tomorrow. I just find it weird that cloning the drive and swapping fucked up fan and temperature control. Fan isn't dead as it powers up when you start the laptop up. Day to day office tasks isn't taxing on the machine, really just software updates would be it. Problem is, I use the laptop in unconvential locations. Namely, hot boiler rooms and manufacturing plants where its 100 degrees or more.

:/

Anyone used a Blue Yeti with a USB power bank to provide analogue audio through the monitoring port? Just an idea that popped in to my head, I tried with a couple and got nothing so wondering if anyone has managed it.
It still needs a computer to turn on properly.

The yoga 4 has a redesigned built in battery and the plug felt near impossible to remove so I left it for fear of tearing wires out of the plug. I'll try different software tomorrow. I just find it weird that cloning the drive and swapping fucked up fan and temperature control. Fan isn't dead as it powers up when you start the laptop up. Day to day office tasks isn't taxing on the machine, really just software updates would be it. Problem is, I use the laptop in unconvential locations. Namely, hot boiler rooms and manufacturing plants where its 100 degrees or more.

:/

Fan completely off when at lower temperatures is perfectly normal and intended behaviour these days.

On my dad's laptop, the fan stays off until the CPU hits 75?C iirc (my laptop is somewhat more agressive and turns things on at around 55?C.. then again, quad-core with dGPU vs dad's dual-core Ultrabook), so if you're only seeing 65?C maximums, it's probably operating as intended. Give it a run on mains power with the newest prime95 and see how it behaves then - that's almost guaranteed to smack the CPU straight into 85+?C temps.

It still needs a computer to turn on properly.

I guessed that would be the case, cheers. Just an idea, I don't think it would've actually been practical. I might use the monitoring socket with my GoPro if I buy the adapter, for videos at my desk.

Fan completely off when at lower temperatures is perfectly normal and intended behaviour these days.

On my dad's laptop, the fan stays off until the CPU hits 75?C iirc (my laptop is somewhat more agressive and turns things on at around 55?C.. then again, quad-core with dGPU vs dad's dual-core Ultrabook), so if you're only seeing 65?C maximums, it's probably operating as intended. Give it a run on mains power with the newest prime95 and see how it behaves then - that's almost guaranteed to smack the CPU straight into 85+?C temps.

I did. Got the temps to 88C. Fan never kicked on.

I think I fried the PWM circuit somehow hence why it appears that no software is making a change and the fan does a quick full speed check at startup or a wake from sleep.

Last edited:
I like my huge CPU cooler (Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B) and the new PC case (Fractal Design Define C) which has venting with dust filter in the top cover - I'm currently burning in the CPU and the GPU, all CPU-cores and the GPU are at 100% and even though the top exhaust fan isn't moving at all the max temperatures are at under 80?C...

OK, I have a mere Core i5-4460 (84W TDP) and a Geforce GTX 960 (120W TDP) so the rig not that powerful, but it's still remarkable what natural venting does.

[edit]
After half an hour of CPU burn-in the top fan kicked in, currently it's spinning at 400 rpm which is apparently enough to keep the CPU below 80?C...
[/edit]

Last edited:
Burn in? People still do that?

You only really need it if you're using special liquid metal type of thermal grease. Not needed with normal operation.

- - - Updated - - -

It may even be unsafe to do so with modern CPUs, they aren't designed to operate near TJ Max for prolonged periods of time.