Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Random question:

So if I have FIOS cable and internet, and I'm getting like basically 1080i/1080p content from my TV provider, and I barely watch anything in higher quality than that.

Is it worth getting a 4K panel to replace my LED panel from several years ago?

Is it even worth getting a 4K panel these days when the content hasn't caught up?

I don't know if this helps at all, but this was just posted a day or three ago:

I watched that, good video compared to a lot of their content. That internal UHD Blu-Ray drive is actually available to buy on Amazon UK but check out the price.

Might as well buy one of those consoles.

Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Found a snag with OneDrive. You can share docs just like google docs. If you're trying to collaborate with more than one person opening the document, you can't. I tried allowing multiple people but, if one person saves, the other guy can't and doesn't see new changes in real time. You can do this in google docs without having to creat a google spreadsheet formatted document.

I've been tasked to do inventory again because our stock is fucked again. And to speed things up, I get multiple people counting and entering in the quantities. One of our guys doesn't want to use the system to transfer items into their own location. It's jot hard, just takes a little more time.

Found a snag with OneDrive. You can share docs just like google docs. If you're trying to collaborate with more than one person opening the document, you can't. I tried allowing multiple people but, if one person saves, the other guy can't and doesn't see new changes in real time. You can do this in google docs without having to creat a google spreadsheet formatted document.

I've been tasked to do inventory again because our stock is fucked again. And to speed things up, I get multiple people counting and entering in the quantities. One of our guys doesn't want to use the system to transfer items into their own location. It's jot hard, just takes a little more time.

Collaborative documents for Microsoft require you to spend more money to implement. As in, you basically need your own dedicated server. IIRC, they actually tell you that you can't do this with OneDrive, specifically so you'll go buy a server and such.

I don't know if this helps at all, but this was just posted a day or three ago:

All i learned from this is that you need to jump through quite a few hoops to get your legal content working.

As apart from just downloading from torrent/usenet and it just works!

No surprise there.

Collaborative documents for Microsoft require you to spend more money to implement. As in, you basically need your own dedicated server. IIRC, they actually tell you that you can't do this with OneDrive, specifically so you'll go buy a server and such.

That's dumb when another company (google) does this without having to shell out money.

That's dumb when another company (google) does this without having to shell out money.

You must be new to Microsoft products. Dumb is what they do.

Apple also includes such functionality in iCloud/iWork and that's free too.

Microsoft *does* say that it should be possible to do Google Docs/iCloud style collaboration with OneDrive... if all persons working on the document are using Office Online i.e., the web based Office suite crippleware. Which, if you want to use it on a screen greater than 10.2", is not free.

Yes, it's technically possible for the locally installed versions of Office to work collaboratively with each other over OneDrive, but it's a total clusterf**k in practice with more than two people (and sometimes even with just two people.) It only works with Office 2016 or Office Online and you have to do some retarded per-document setup. Annnnd sometimes it doesn't work for no well defined reason and even Microsoft reps can't get it to work - but they'll be happy to talk to you about buying a SharePoint server! And if you're not using Office 16 or Online, well, OneDrive just won't work for it and you need to buy a SharePoint. (Or so their reps say, even though it's supposed to work.) Been there, done that more than once.

Last edited:
I'm working on a furniture installation today, and in one room, they are installing 3 side-by-side-by-side 90" 4K TVs. o_O

That sounds like either an extremely big virtual conference room or a presentation room...

"Multi-purpose room". meetings, trainings, presentations.

They are testing all of the gear, and they are playing something on Origin...I think Medal of Honor Pacific Assault. Oddly it's spanning two two of the screens, and the 3rd screen on the right is only the left.

You must be new to Microsoft products. Dumb is what they do.

Apple also includes such functionality in iCloud/iWork and that's free too.

Microsoft *does* say that it should be possible to do Google Docs/iCloud style collaboration with OneDrive... if all persons working on the document are using Office Online i.e., the web based Office suite crippleware. Which, if you want to use it on a screen greater than 10.2", is not free.

Yes, it's technically possible for the locally installed versions of Office to work collaboratively with each other over OneDrive, but it's a total clusterf**k in practice with more than two people (and sometimes even with just two people.) It only works with Office 2016 or Office Online and you have to do some retarded per-document setup. Annnnd sometimes it doesn't work for no well defined reason and even Microsoft reps can't get it to work - but they'll be happy to talk to you about buying a SharePoint server! And if you're not using Office 16 or Online, well, OneDrive just won't work for it and you need to buy a SharePoint. (Or so their reps say, even though it's supposed to work.) Been there, done that more than once.

And SharePoint isn't that great at it either you have to 'check out' and 'check in' files to modify them, not to mention that it is completely limited to Windows and sorta OS X. Got a bunch of engineer types that run Linux? You are SOL.

Before you start on your "Linux sux rant" it works very well for SA work and is much cheaper to implement than OS X, by that I mean give engineer a regular Lattitude and tell them they can install any Linux they want....

Last edited:
Who did you switch to?

Not familiar with that company, but it has to be better than Comcast.