Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Those of you with two monitors, where do you sit? I have a laptop powering two big screens. The laptop sits off to the (right) side and I basically just use it for Pandora. I sit in front of one monitor (the left most one) with the second monitor offset to the right a bit. I've tried moving to the middle of the two big ones but always find myself shifting back so I'm just facing the left one head on.

I sit squarely in the middle - running a Mac Mini has some advantages :p

Just get a third, makes fixes everything.

< has a 16:9 flanked by 3:4s

I want a 21:9 with a 16:9 as a secondary.

Those of you with two monitors, where do you sit? I have a laptop powering two big screens. The laptop sits off to the (right) side and I basically just use it for Pandora. I sit in front of one monitor (the left most one) with the second monitor offset to the right a bit. I've tried moving to the middle of the two big ones but always find myself shifting back so I'm just facing the left one head on.

This is my setup at work as of lately:

2017-08-01 08.13.51.jpg

Two Dell 24" 16:10 screens, and the Dell XPS 15" on a stand off to the side. The laptop screen is smaller and has higher DPI than the externals, so it's only used for less important things like chats and Spotify. Would prefer a proper workstation with three monitors, but company only provides laptops for now - still fighting that battle.

The desk is height-adjustable (electric) and can be used as a standing desk, which I actually do about half the time. It's rather neat.

Last edited:
The thing the "haters" don't get about sit-stand desks is that it's not about "standing is healthier than sitting". Both are bad if that's all you do. It's meant to get you working in a couple different positions throughout the day. And since it's one button touch (maybe 2) away, people are more likely going to utilize it than it it were, say, a hand crank (which are almost all just seated height adjustment anyway), or having to push in a pin to adjust legs, which isn't always a 1-person job.

The other way to accomplish a similar thing is to get a fixed height desk at the standing height, and then get a stool...but to get an ergonomic task chair style stool, you'll likely be spending the same amount as you would have on an electric table base.

Oh, and treadmill desks aren't for practicing for your upcoming marathon while you're huffing and puffing on a conference call. It's really meant for a leisurely stroll at a mph or two, just to get your blood moving. Nobody is working up a sweat or running out of breath at these things. Besides, they generally aren't someone's primary desk...it's usually one or two that people can grab their laptop and hop over to them to work for a little while; a shared resource.

7 years at this company and I really long for an adjustable standing/sit desk. I have to get up every so often because it's plain uncomfortable otherwise.

Nice thing about working on-site support at a hospital is that I don't spend a lot of time sitting down. Even on those odd days when it's slow, I usually just get up every so often and walk around for a bit. :p

As for my desk/monitor layout, I haven't changed much since I took this picture (about 2 years ago).

a-16368.jpg

Three 24" 16:10 monitors connected to the HP Z workstation with the center serving as the main. The laptop sits by itself and I really only use it when I'm out on the floors.

Home PC is similar to NooDle's; dual monitors and the gap between the two (as small as it is) sits right in front of me.

Last edited:
I want a 21:9 with a 16:9 as a secondary.

I used to have 3 x 26" screens with 1920x1200. Then I moved to a single 35" screen with 3440x1440 and I never ever thought "man I could add some more screens to this".

Having one big screen makes things so much easier. You want tiling? Get a window manager. You want fullscreen? Any stupid app can do fullscreen on a single monitor (that's something that would not always work on my previous multimonitor setup - some applications seem to get confused by the number of screens and start doing weird shit - or their fullscreen is just "fake fullscreen", aka borderless window, which is "fun" when it does not constrain the mouse to the active window). You want a large FOV without borders? 21:9 is the answer.

At work I still have two screens (but we're also working towards replacing them with single 21:9 screens), and I used to sit right in the middle of the two. Gave me terrible neck cramps and back pain, because I was always turning my head slightly to the left or right. So now I have my left most screen as my primary display and the right screen is for stuff I like to keep open. The screens are now arranged in that fashion, so that the left screen is facing me at a perfectly perpendicular angle and is placed at the center. The right screen is really more of a secondary screen now, and to fully face it I have to turn my whole body (so no more back pain). But again, I'm looking forward to replacing them with a single 21:9 screen.

Going to pick up a PoweMac G4 Quicksilver. Dual 800MHz with 1.5GB of memory. You may be wondering why I would waste money on a useless machine. Two things. I don't have nor could I find a usable IDE/ATA drive reader. So, since you can mount 4 hard drives inside (including boot drive) without modification, I figure this is the best option. I used to have a couple but, got rid of them. Having three iMac G3's, two iBook Clamshells, PowerBook G3 Pismo, iBook G4, two PoweMac G4's and, and iMac G5 while living at your parents is a bit nuts.

Cool thing is it comes apple's 20" Cinema Display. It still looks classy today.

I still have a 733MHz QuickSilver back at my parents' place, I'd ship it here if the shipping cost wouldn't be more expensive than the machine :cry:

I do it that way whether i have two or (currently) three monitors, one dead centre in front of me and one to the right or on both sides at the same angles

Interesting to read y'all have too many monitors since all I read is 'I mainly use x and not really y'. Both my work monitors are used all the time (need the real estate because many programs open at the same time).

We did get one of those ultrawide ones as a test but I didn't like it curvature.

At home I have just the single 24 inch monitor because narrow desk. I've added a 7 inch photo frame thing that can be used too, but I rarely actively use it, mainly for displaying my Winamp playlist. Main screen is for farting around on the net, even though I mostly do that on the iPad nowadays.

Come to think of it, with a smartphone, tablet and smart tv (+raspberry pi) I rarely use the pc at all nowadays

The monitor setup really depends on the use case for me.

My biggest computer is for gaming (currently couch gaming with a controller) and that's got one huge display. Going forward I might build another desktop PC for desk gaming (strategy, card games, builders, etc) and it would still have one display, maybe an ultrawide.

For work, at the home office I use a 30" 16:10 panel and a 24" 16:9 panel. I'm facing the bigger display where I would mostly work, and have the smaller display on the side for e-mail, calendar, skype etc.

At the office I have two identical 24" 16:9's and I face the middle bezel. Rotate on the chair to face whatever monitor has the thing I want to be looking at.

e52d8f38ae5f50e9592df8bac34c6ef9.jpg

I feel like it was worth the Apple display and the PCI SATA card alone for what I paid for this pile. Even though it's a 20", it still shows a decent picture rivaling most regular market displays today. It also sports a USB 2.0 card and ATA card because this is before they offered built in support for drives larger than 128GB and it has 2x 250GB drives along with a 160 and 80GB.

Last edited:
e52d8f38ae5f50e9592df8bac34c6ef9.jpg

I feel like it was worth the Apple display and the PCI SATA card alone for what I paid for this pile. Even though it's a 20", it still shows a decent picture rivaling most regular market displays today. It also sports a USB 2.0 card and ATA card because this is before they offered built in support for drives larger than 128GB and it has 2x 250GB drives along with a 160 and 80GB.

Nice. Apparently the last of the white plastic macbooks can run Sierra. I've been watching YouTube videos...i have to see what "iOS support" features it can do (Handoff, Continuity, etc)