Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I recently came across a quote that I found very fitting: "any sufficiently misunderstood algorithm is indistinguishable from artificial intelligence".

Artificial intelligence is great. Not. Especially not when it's used to cheap out on actually understanding humans' input:

Source: The Verge article

Now, from the article, I suspect "artificial intelligence" is quite an exaggeration of what the grading algorithm of that software actually does. Even though AI is really just a fancy way of saying "statistical analysis", cutting-edge technology in this field is a bit better than just string matching against a word list.

The problem is they probably didn't utilize #blockchain. /s

Artificial intelligence is great. Not. Especially not when it's used to cheap out on actually understanding humans' input:

Source: The Verge article

Now, from the article, I suspect "artificial intelligence" is quite an exaggeration of what the grading algorithm of that software actually does. Even though AI is really just a fancy way of saying "statistical analysis", cutting-edge technology in this field is a bit better than just string matching against a word list.

That isn't much different than most low level college courses, let alone K-12. Even with a professor teaching, I've gotten away with answers not much different.

I'd run out of time on a test and just jot answers like: Venice: Italy, trade, city-state, Fourth Crusade, swamp people. And get 4 out of 5 on that answer.

That isn't much different than most low level college courses, let alone K-12. Even with a professor teaching, I've gotten away with answers not much different.

I'd run out of time on a test and just jot answers like: Venice: Italy, trade, city-state, Fourth Crusade, swamp people. And get 4 out of 5 on that answer.

Well, the swamp people were actually related to the fifth-crusade...you heretic.

Why does a pregnancy test need a screen like this? Why do geeks keep running Doom on strange things? These are just some of the questions that will never be answered to my satisfaction in my lifetime.

4772795__e188297988ce060ed77289f0d306731a.jpg

Do you need to pee on the stick to activate the game or not?

I really hope not!

Why does a pregnancy test need a screen like this? Why do geeks keep running Doom on strange things? These are just some of the questions that will never be answered to my satisfaction in my lifetime.

It's become a meme. For a short time, it was Skyrim jokingly being run on "smart" TVs with screens, etc.

Running Doom on nontraditional tech is a technology equivalent of the meme of putting bacon on eeeeeeeeverything.

While awesome, I am disappointed it wasn't printing each frame.

That was a pretty good one for just a printer, it's not quite Floppotron though.

There's some guy out there doing music on electric toothbrushes. I'm not going to link to it, you're better off without it. :LOL:

Holy crap!

Floppotron, I salute you!

I used to see pictures of old HP printers that had displays. People were changing the normal "PC Load Letter" errors to say "feed me humans" or some such. Is that still possible?

I used to see pictures of old HP printers that had displays. People were changing the normal "PC Load Letter" errors to say "feed me humans" or some such. Is that still possible?

HP now signs the firmware blobs, so sadly I'm doubtful.

I made ours at work around 2012 say "Insert rainforest"

I need some Bluetooth in-ear headphones for cycling as my old, cabled ones are giving up and I want to take the opportunity to change to wireless. I prefer the type that has a cable around the neck connecting the two speakers because those are not as easy to lose as the "true wireless" type.
Noise cancelling not needed, microphone optional.

Any recommendations?

If you have an iPhone that can take advantage of them, BeatsX. Otherwise, Senheiser CX Sports would fit the bill nicely.

I have the predecessor of the Kalenji 500 from Decathlon, they work pretty well. There are three different sizes of silicon plugs which go deep into the ear canal so they will fit pretty much every ear canal.