Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

With enough espresso, you can do anything.

Having worked on enough Dells myself the question is does the amount of coffee equal the amount of blood lost on the sharp edges inside? I swear the manufacturers do it deliberately. :LOL:

I’m fairly sure that if someone unearthed my laptop 1000 years from now and managed to get it to power on, it would still be signed in to my facebook account. Meanwhile, some apps and web sites forget the login cridentials every time you go there. I just had to convince Word for iPad, again, that i do indeed have a valid 365 subscription.

It really should be a criminal offense.

I have MS Teams on my phone to be able to quickly check my work calendar and easily transfer calls/confcalls from my PC to the phone to be able to walk around... I have to sign into my work account again every. single. day. o_O

I have MS Teams on my phone to be able to quickly check my work calendar and easily transfer calls/confcalls from my PC to the phone to be able to walk around... I have to sign into my work account again every. single. day. o_O
That's a setting of your IT/O 365 admins though. I also use Teams for work across multiple devices, and it never asks me to fully re-login, only the 2FA code needs to be re-entered every once in a while (on the order of 1-2 weeks).

Yeah I should probably complain... but someone's bound to ask questions (what phone is that you're using and why don't we know about it...)

I have logged into Teams (and Outlook) on my phone when I installed the apps and then again when I had to change my AD password.

That's a setting of your IT/O 365 admins though. I also use Teams for work across multiple devices, and it never asks me to fully re-login, only the 2FA code needs to be re-entered every once in a while (on the order of 1-2 weeks).

We aren't too cruel to people either, as much as I do enjoy being cruel. Re-authenticating every week or two should be enough.

We aren't too cruel to people either, as much as I do enjoy being cruel. Re-authenticating every week or two should be enough.

If I sign in somewhere and check the box to remember me, I should never EVER EVER E-VEEER have to sign in again.

That's unfortunately kinda anathema to 2FA. You want to check every so often to ensure only the devices that need to be plugged into your network are. Otherwise, it can be compromised simply because Janice from accounting wanted to answer an email from her friend John's office that one time and she reflexively clicks "remember me on this PC".

We had the IT department at my employer just drop drop 2FA on us and then force us had to sign in twice a week. Some minor revolt later brought it to a much more reasonable 30 days.

I'd love for windows to keep my signed into our file server because IT linked our main printer to that so if I need to print, I have to make sure I'm signed into the file server. Why you can't just connect directly to the printer is beyond me, we used to do that but since getting the Canon ImageRunner lease, that went away. I could change how it connects because the printer still broadcasts on the network, but I've gotten my hand slapped enough times dicking with my set up that I'm done with that.

Gotta love the answers to people's product questions on Amazon. It's bad enough when Aunt Carol, who doesn't know they aren't specifically asking her, answers with something like "I don't know"...but then there's people who think they are answering the question but have no idea that they aren't.

1602811183456.png

I got an e-mail from my Synology NAS yesterday morning. I'm backing up my entire NAS to the Synology cloud every night and the backup was failing, apparently.

Turns out that the system clock was about 15 minutes wrong which wraught havoc with the timestamps on the files in the backup, which caused the backup to fail. The Synology OS has been gettings its time from time.google.com since I bought it several years ago, but I guess Google couldn't tell the time anymore or something, I don't know. I fixed it by changing to another NTP server.

?

When I got my iPhone XR, I loved the battery life compared to the iPhone 7 I had before. Here it's absolutely clobbered by most of the competition.

That's really impressive, shame the X couldn't be included in the test. Mine's still fine, currently it either gets wirelessly charged on the dock at home or in the car to and from the office on the rare occasions I drive in. I'll be looking at the 12 Pro, definitely not concerned about the battery life there.

That's really impressive, shame the X couldn't be included in the test. Mine's still fine, currently it either gets wirelessly charged on the dock at home or in the car to and from the office on the rare occasions I drive in. I'll be looking at the 12 Pro, definitely not concerned about the battery life there.

As far as I can recall, the XR got better mileage than the XS, mostly because it had less pixels to push, I guess. The next generation (11) was a big improvement because of better silicon.

I want the new and shiny, but battery life is a big selling point for me because I do use my phone a lot, bot at work and on my free time, so I guess I could get a deal on the 11 Pro Max from the local Apple shop. The biggest issue is if it fits the breast pocket on the shirt I wear for work. The XR is barely fitting as is.

I've been using a clock radio to tell the time my entire life. Feels like I should upgrade that to a smart clock. Lenovo makes a decent looking one that runs Google. My entire household is Apple including HomeKit which controls my IKEA smart lights. Would I be able to control the same smart lights via the Google thing at the same time?

My robot vacuum, Bengt, runs every weekday while I'm at work. I typically only need to deal with it when it needs emptying. The other day when I opened the app to summon it to the kitchen for emptying I noticed that it had a pretty novel idea of what a complete cleaning cycle should look like. In real life it was docked to the charger (green dot) but the map showed it in the corner of the room.

View attachment 3558873

I tried resetting the map but it didn't make a difference. The helpful people in the Xiaomi/Roborock owners grup on FB advised me to clean the front and side sensor, so I did with a paper towel and some kitchen spray. You could barely even tell there was any dirt on them, but that was all it took to Make Bengt Great Again. And for some reason, the new map it built for itself is now turned 90 degrees.

View attachment 3558875