Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Got talking to my sister about the old Game Boy Colors we had so dug mine out. I've always been convinced that the copy of Pokémon Crystal I got in 2006 was a bootleg copy, partly because of the wonky sticker and partly it would never save but never looked into it. Decided to open the cartridge up today and find out.

IMG_6692_S1024.jpg

Actually getting it open was tricky because the giant CR2032 battery holder blocks the front of the cart from sliding correctly. When I finally got it off it was clear that it's a knock-off with those horrible through-hole components soldered on and the add-on board, compared here to an original Yellow cartridge. I quickly saw that the battery holder was broken off the board and testing the battery showed that it was dead.

IMG_6694_S1024.jpg

A bit of re-soldering and a new battery and I could save a game for the first time! Now I can put it away for another 14 years!

Not sure if this is good or bad. Lately I’ve been having network issues that is solved by power cycling the internet company’s box. Since this seems common enough, I’ve now put it on a light timer that will shut power off to the unit for an hour between 1:30 and 2:30 in the morning.

Not sure if this is good or bad. Lately I’ve been having network issues that is solved by power cycling the internet company’s box. Since this seems common enough, I’ve now put it on a light timer that will shut power off to the unit for an hour between 1:30 and 2:30 in the morning.

Modern problem require antiquated solution?

Fuck you laptop.
The screen started showing artifacts and some flickering, and I went pale because I recently opened it up to add more RAM and this pretty much seemed like a flat cable issue.
But then I noticed it happened more noticeably when Chrome was open, and also the mouse was having issues scrolling, and that has no realtion to screen hadrware...so a reboot later everything is fine again.

Fuck you, laptop, for scaring me like that.

Hopefully it helps but if the reboot is after a random problem occurs... probably not. The homeplugs I had before running ethernet upstairs had issues where I had to reboot them sometimes.

Fuck you laptop.
The screen started showing artifacts and some flickering, and I went pale because I recently opened it up to add more RAM and this pretty much seemed like a flat cable issue.
But then I noticed it happened more noticeably when Chrome was open, and also the mouse was having issues scrolling, and that has no realtion to screen hadrware...so a reboot later everything is fine again.

Fuck you, laptop, for scaring me like that.
Good thing it isn't a Surface tablet, we have a big stack at work now of devices that have been damaged by bulging batteries, they have nowhere to go so break the screen connection or sometimes the screen itself from behind. Naturally this happens after the warranty has expired.

Ordered a Moment case for my 12 Pro Max, will probably arrive before the phone does. For anyone who doesn't know Moment cases, aside from being nice cases the make inserts that allow the secure mounting of additional lenses. This is something I may not use but I like the option, especially as they make a really nice anamorphic lens. Didn't order a mount insert yet as they aren't likely to be available until the end of the year, they want $15 shipping for the insert alone so I'll probably get the anamorphic lens and the insert at the same time.

Good thing it isn't a Surface tablet, we have a big stack at work now of devices that have been damaged by bulging batteries, they have nowhere to go so break the screen connection or sometimes the screen itself from behind. Naturally this happens after the warranty has expired.
Ugh.

Having watched a bunch of reviews of the new M1 powered MacBooks, there seems to be a pattern forming:

1) The M1 is stupidly powerful. In therms of CPU performance it outperforms every single Intel powered Mac notebook, including the maxed out i9 16" MacBook Pro. Heck it even gets within spitting distance of the base Mac Pro, which has an Intel Xeon. There is also very little difference between the Air and the Pro, you have to run it hard for an extended period of time to see any difference, courtesy of the Pro's active cooling.

2) GPU performance is also very impressive, outperforming the integrated graphics of any Intel or AMD chip. In the MacBook Pro it gets within very close to the base 16" MacBook Pro, which has dedicated AMD 5300M graphics.

3) The unified memory architecture is extremely effective, basically performing like having twice the RAM on an Intel system. The result of this is that 16 GB of RAM will get you a long way.

8 GB RAM vs. 16 GB RAM on the M1 MacBook Pro:

M1 MacBook Pro vs. Intel MacBook Pro:

Sorry for spilling cool aid around, but this is very impressive. And it's just the beginning. The M1 will be the least powerful of the new M-series Apple chips.

Last edited:
I was more impressed by the battery life.

Having watched a bunch of reviews of the new M1 powered MacBooks, there seems to be a pattern forming:

1) The M1 is stupidly powerful. In therms of CPU performance it outperforms every single Intel powered Mac notebook, including the maxed out i9 16" MacBook Pro. Heck it even gets within spitting distance of the base Mac Pro, which has an Intel Xeon. There is also very little difference between the Air and the Pro, you have to run it hard for an extended period of time to see any difference, courtesy of the Pro's active cooling.

2) GPU performance is also very impressive, outperforming the integrated graphics of any Intel or AMD chip. In the MacBook Pro it gets within very close to the base 16" MacBook Pro, which has dedicated AMD 5300M graphics.

3) The unified memory architecture is extremely effective, basically performing like having twice the RAM on an Intel system. The result of this is that 16 GB of RAM will get you a long way.

8 GB RAM vs. 16 GB RAM on the M1 MacBook Pro:

M1 MacBook Pro vs. Intel MacBook Pro:

Sorry for spilling cool aid around, but this is very impressive. And it's just the beginning. The M1 will be the least powerful of the new M-series Apple chips.

The M1 is compared to a 2 generation old Intel processor in that second video, how is that an apples to apples comparison? Where is the 10th gen Intel Mac?

The M1 is compared to a 2 generation old Intel processor in that second video, how is that an apples to apples comparison? Where is the 10th gen Intel Mac?
It's being compared to it's direct predecessor, the one they sold up until the November 10th event, just two weeks ago. The base (two T3-port) 13" MacBook Pro (which the new M1-version replaced) was never available with with the 10th gen. 8th gen was the latest it got until they dropped the M1 in there.

Last edited:
Let’s hope Apple doesn’t fall behind again. I’m old enough to remember the bad old days when the PowerPC was stuck in a performance rut and intel was far ahead. The G5 desktops were either noisy or liquid cooled or both, and the G4 laptops were slow and got so hot you could fry an egg on them while they struggled to play flash. We never got a mobile G5 chip because they couldn’t get it to work. Then they switched to Intel and all was well again.

Then again, the PPC issues were because their chip supplier was busy pumping out millions of gaming console chips for Sony and Microsoft and had no interest in battling Intel just to keep Apple happy. This time Apple is in charge.

Briefly returning to the power tools / Ryobi discussion: looking around for deals paid off. Ordered the R18PD3-215GZ from amazon.co.uk for a grand total of 89€ incl. shipping to Germany. Imho, extremely good price for a full kit with the combo impact drill/screwdriver, two 1.5 Ah batteries and a charger.

1606236505992.png

Now the hunt continues for good deals on their hot glue gun and hand vacuum :) Although those may just be cheap enough to order at standard price at some point.

Let’s hope Apple doesn’t fall behind again. I’m old enough to remember the bad old days when the PowerPC was stuck in a performance rut and intel was far ahead. The G5 desktops were either noisy or liquid cooled or both, and the G4 laptops were slow and got so hot you could fry an egg on them while they struggled to play flash. We never got a mobile G5 chip because they couldn’t get it to work. Then they switched to Intel and all was well again.

Then again, the PPC issues were because their chip supplier was busy pumping out millions of gaming console chips for Sony and Microsoft and had no interest in battling Intel just to keep Apple happy. This time Apple is in charge.
And this time, Apple is a 2 trillion dollar company, they were in a different shape back then.

They also have successfully designed and widely produced and utilized several generations of ARM chips for their mobile devices, that consistently perform on par with or above other contemporary mobile SoCs. This is a much more solid foundation to build on than anything they've had back in PowerPC times. And the M1 derives directly from those chips as well, down to where the dev "preview" systems for the M1 were modified Mac Minis with an A13Z chip from the iPad Pro.

I know I shouldn't be thinking about it, but the slightly reduced price and impressive performance of the new M1 Mac Mini make me sort of regret buying the Dell Precision workstation two months ago. They don't exactly compare head-to-head, but if you count in all the upgrades I've been planning to do to the Dell, the difference in price almost vanishes.

No, I don't need a fancy Mac. No, I wouldn't be able to play the games I've been playing so far on it. No, I don't think it's a good idea to be an early adopter. I don't even know my way around macOS as well as I do around Windows 10. But dammit, this basic configuration is enough to make me want it. I already have a monitor and even an Apple keyboard to use it with, and it'd be both an interesting experience and useful to learn my way around macOS properly. Also, it's probably going to depreciate extremely slowly.

Luckily, the lack of repairability and upgradability is something that puts me off, as well as the fact that where I live, it's still a somewhat expensive device. Also, I'm pretty sure it'd take a while for it to become fully usable for all my uni-related intents and purposes. I really need to wait for my initial impressions to cool down, as I am slightly tempted by the idea of selling the Dell and becoming a Mac user. The funniest thing? I used to be sceptic about the whole transition thing.

Briefly returning to the power tools / Ryobi discussion: looking around for deals paid off. Ordered the R18PD3-215GZ from amazon.co.uk for a grand total of 89€ incl. shipping to Germany. Imho, extremely good price for a full kit with the combo impact drill/screwdriver, two 1.5 Ah batteries and a charger.

View attachment 3559235

Now the hunt continues for good deals on their hot glue gun and hand vacuum :) Although those may just be cheap enough to order at standard price at some point.

The glue gun was like €30 at the hardware store next to where I work, and it works at least €100 better than the crappy €20 230V guns I've had before. Money well spent IMO.

Are you getting the correct Euro plug with that Ryobi kit from the UK? I usually tend to stick to .de whenever I buy something that plugs in, just to be on the safe side.

Are you getting the correct Euro plug with that Ryobi kit from the UK? I usually tend to stick to .de whenever I buy something that plugs in, just to be on the safe side.
I realized that about 10 minutes after confirming the order. Ofc no, it comes with a UK plug :p Ordered a 1.90€ adapter right away, not an issue, still annoying. Although maybe the charger cable is separate and not built in, in that case I probably have one that will fit and has a EU plug.

Gave up on renting the hammerdrill, instead got a quote to get someone else to drill that concrete support beam for me.

160 Euros. For 18 holes. LOLNO

I bought a riveter for 5 bucks and fixed one of the clothesline. The bigger one will require some epoxy or something. We'll see.

Last edited:

View attachment 3559235

One thing to note: That's a Drill/Hammer drill combo, but not an impact. They sound similar, but are very different. A hammer drill basically taps on the back of the drill bit (like hitting a chisel with a hammer), while an impact driver applies it's "hammer" rotationally around the bit (like if you put a wrench on a bolt or nut, and then hit the handle of it to on the side with a hammer to tighten or loosen the nut/bolt).

Yeah, I’m aware, just confused by terminology there apparently. Hammer drill and screwdriver combo is what I need, for the occasional hole in the wall and some shelf attached to it and the like. Impact driver may be useful some time later when I get a place with a garage and another MX-5 to screw on :) but not needed for now.