Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Can teachers now operate VCRs or did they just skip past that to being incapable of operating projectors and laptops? :p

That is why DVD players were developed.

Anybody have any good experiences with wireless earbuds and side sleeping?

I've got the FIIL T1X TWS, but they are just a but too bulky.they dinxt need noise cancelling, but ideally would have some good isolation (wear them to tune-out/block snoring).

Anybody have any good experiences with wireless earbuds and side sleeping?
i recently got a pair of douchepods that I use to listen to audiobooks and podcasts in bed. I only use the one that my head is not resting on...

they dinxt need noise cancelling, but ideally would have some good isolation
... aaaand they’re out :p i actually prefer the way they’re fairly open and transparent, because that way I’m comfortable wearing them while out and about.

The normal EarPods don't fit my ears properly so I can't imagine the wireless version of the same thing being any better.

AirPods Pro work fine though, after getting a pair of third party memory foam tips. The downside is that the foam looks absolutely horrible after a couple of uses.

The normal EarPods don't fit my ears properly so I can't imagine the wireless version of the same thing being any better.

Definitely not, no. As far as I can tell and wearing them both back to back the shape and fit is exactly the same. Perfect for me, though :D
However, I have yet to find in-ears that comfortably fit me and don’t hurt after half an hour at most... ears are weird, and different for everybody it seems.

Year, apple earbuds have never fit my ears. Thinking about them too hard makes them fall out.

Reading in the iPhone thread got me thinking, I haven't used iTunes for a while for a simple reason. It doesn't work, it takes a couple of tries to get it to launch. Each time within the past year or so on multiple machines will it just not launch the first time. You may ask "well, what version are you using?" Fuck if I know other than the software updater saying it's current. I guess since I don't use it for anything anymore, I might as well ditch it. For a while I was doing iOS updates through it because I got screwed a while back with a backup not being fully done while doing the iOS update on the phone and losing a bunch of stuff. Since it seems that's not an issue anymore and probably hasn't been for a while, I don't need iTunes anymore.

I will have to start looking at my music folders and merge them all together since my iTunes library started with version 5, and was moved to an iBook clamshell with OS9 and iTunes 2.0.4 once or twice, My library is strewn between the folders "iTunes Music" and "Media" in the iTunes Library folder.

I've been doing iOS updates OTA since day 1, never a single issue. I've had to restore via USB once or twice after messing around with beta releases, but other than that, no.

Itunes also works fine here...at least on the iphone, the windows PC is hot garbage. It seems apple is doing a lot of work to do the segmentation they did on iTunes and also a revamp on iCloud, but it hasn't come to fruition so far.

It's really annoying.

I have never gotten iTunes to work consistently well, across different PCs and devices (iPad/iPhone).

Dunno how it is on a Mac, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I only use it to transfer files to and from the devices, and only then if there’s absolutely no other way to do it. Updates work fine, but usually I need to unplug/replug my device a few times before it recognizes it...

before version 11, I had good luck with it on Windows, I stopped using macs around version 9 or 10 and it worked extremely well there.

As long as you don't enable iCloud or Music Match iTunes isn't bad. I've swapped my library between Windows and Mac OS without issue, but anything Apple cloud related borks things badly (album art either disappearing or being set wrong, lossless being automatically converted to lossy, music duplications, etc... ).

I have never gotten iTunes to work consistently well, across different PCs and devices (iPad/iPhone).

Dunno how it is on a Mac, but I wouldn’t recommend it. I only use it to transfer files to and from the devices, and only then if there’s absolutely no other way to do it. Updates work fine, but usually I need to unplug/replug my device a few times before it recognizes it...

As someone that's been using iPhones since 2009 I still don't understand this "transferring files" thing and why people have constant issues with it. When do you need to "transfer a file" and why? Just drop it in your cloud storage.

Because I have limited data usage and can’t just upload a few TBs to the cloud without breaking the internet. I know, I’m probably old and stuff but I don’t see the point of uploading stuff and then downloading the same stuff to my phone. It’s transferring with extra steps

I guess I was the only one to actually use Cloud Print. Bummer.

4F0FE4F1-693E-4384-916B-87CFB1523D79.jpeg

I guess I was the only one to actually use Cloud Print. Bummer.

Yeah, we were using it at work for Chromebook printing and migrated to another solution as soon as the rumors swirled about GCP's demise. Still a adjustment though.

Widely Used Software Company May Be Entry Point for Huge U.S. Hacking​

Russian hackers may have piggybacked on a tool developed by JetBrains
and
JetBrains, which counts 79 of the Fortune 100 companies as customers