Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

So, iPhone 12 Pros are still scarce in this part of the world. I stopped by the Apple reseller today to ask if they know anything, and obviously they didn't.

I also had to wait in line behind a couple of ladies that not only bought an iPad - they also demanded help setting it up and creating an Apple ID because they "didn't know how to do it", which I can't for the life of me understand. Just power the damn thing on and go from there, it'll all be explained to you in large, friendly letters.

There was only one employee on duty on a saturday morning. Not only that but the person that they were buying the iPad for wasn't with them, so they had to call her to try to explain that she was going to receive a text message from Apple with the 2-factor code for setting up the account, and that they needed her to check her messages and read them the code over the phone. This was way too complicated and they ended up setting up the account with another phone number.

So, iPhone 12 Pros are still scarce in this part of the world. I stopped by the Apple reseller today to ask if they know anything, and obviously they didn't.
Did you consider just getting the "vanilla" 12? I for one can't really see how the 12 Pro is worth the extra money over the regular 12, unless you want the 12 Pro Max for it's ridiculously large screen and improved camera.

But then, what do I know, I got the 12 mini purely for it's size.

Did you consider just getting the "vanilla" 12? I for one can't really see how the 12 Pro is worth the extra money over the regular 12, unless you want the 12 Pro Max for it's ridiculously large screen and improved camera.

But then, what do I know, I got the 12 mini purely for it's size.

I have an XR today. It's the iPhone equivalent of having manual windows in the rear doors. Rear power windows aren't very useful but every time you open a rear door you're reminded that you cheaped out. :p I also want the camera system in the Pro.

It did take a bit of willpower to not just tell the guy at the store today to cancel my order and give me a vanilla 12.

I've gotten a handful of new Telegram contacts over the last couple of days. It seems people aren't satisfied with the Whatsapp eula...

Well, they should rather go to Signal... Telegram is more comfortable, but far less secure.
Is the FG Signal group still going?

Yeah, the WA exodus seems to be in full force atm. I am partially happy as a middle finger to the Succ. However, this is the point where any software I like generally goes to shit.

Yeah, the WA exodus seems to be in full force atm.
A few years ago when WhatsApp was bought by Facebook there was also a hype of "let's change to another app", but almost everybody ended up staying with WA anyway.

Yes, I'm aware the power window lockout switch is the best thing ever if you do have kids. :ROFLMAO:

Not true. Child locks are even more important so the little fuckers don’t open the door on the highway for shits and giggles....

Not just that. When you've got kids in car seats that can't reach or work the window controls themselves and are getting carsick, being able to crack the window and get them some fresh air might just save you from a nasty cleanup.

I won't clog up the vintage audio thread with my window shopping but I discovered the Braun Atelier 1 today and I was instantly in love with the design. Always liked Dieter Rams' designs and this one looks spot on to me. In black anyway, the white version not so much.

Tempted to get this set from Germany. It's tested, serviced and warrantied. Direct drive quartz lock turntable, 3 head tray loading cassette and CD player. I'd have to tweak my rack and wouldn't be able to use the included base but damn, so tempting. As an investment, you understand...

1610583503416.png

There's a large tech company HQ'd in San Francisco, with a high-level executive that has a white version of that system. We designed a custom bench/credenza for his office with open/fabric covered compartments for speakers to live inside and hidden, with drawers for record albums, and the components sat on top of this credenza all the way at the end. All made of clear-finished ash with a slim olive green leather cushion on top. Looked quite nice, but always seemed weird to want speakers down by your calves...

Nice, it would certainly look good in an executive office even after 40 years. I'm not so keen on the white version because it still uses black knobs, that doesn't seem to be very consistent with Rams' designs. That speaker position you mentioned does seem odd, might not make much difference depending on the room size/shape/layout though.

Ze Germans haven't responded to my request for a shipping quote, maybe they didn't take me seriously or maybe they're just busy.

I've been reading up (because I always research something after deciding I'm going to buy it) and the frequency response is 10Hz to 100kHz, kinda makes 48kHz music files seem inadequate. Still not sure I'll hear the distance if I compare 'Down Under' on Spotify to the version on vinyl...

Last edited:
Ze Germans haven't responded to my request for a shipping quote, maybe they didn't take me seriously or maybe they're just busy.

I've been reading up (because I always research something after deciding I'm going to buy it) and the frequency response is 10Hz to 100kHz, kinda makes 48kHz music files seem inadequate. Still not sure I'll hear the distance if I compare 'Down Under' on Spotify to the version on vinyl...
Telegram one of them.

Telegram one of them.
Whoops sorry I didn't mean one of our Ze Germans, the ones who run KultHifi.de. Unless you mean send them an actual telegram. :p