Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

You guys are acting like car manufacturers aren't already charging exorbitant prices for some parts, seemingly at random. And it's not only the premium car makers either.

Byt he way, a lot of cars have fragrances built into the HVAC systems nowadays. I don't think you're too far off with the $24,95 for a new cartridge for one of those.

Do CEE 7/16 Y-leads exist? I'm figuring out my options for converting the plugs on the Atelier to UK ones, they're all CEE 7/16 2 pin earth-less plugs. I could buy a Schuko extension in this country but that's overkill.

I could also use individual CEE 7/16 to UK adapters with fuses, I probably will do for the amplifier but the other components are 40, 30, 15 and 15 Watts respectively so that's also overkill. The smallest fuse is 1A so it would be a waste to have each one on an individual plug.

I can find simple splitters but they're Schuko and don't fit the UK adapters. A 4-gang extension with just the 2 pin unearthed euro plugs would also be ideal if that exists.

Last edited:
Replace all outlets in your house with the EU one and replace all electronic connectors on your device, simple! No need to uproot your life.

Thanks both, I think I'll go with this kind of thing:

1611941735854.png

:LOL:

Edit: I found a switched 5-way Schuko extension on Amazon going for £3.82. Looks like a mistake as the non-switched version is £15 but I'm taking advantage of it, at this price I'll just cut the main plug off and put a UK one on.

Last edited:
Thanks both, I think I'll go with this kind of thing:

View attachment 3560070

:LOL:

Edit: I found a switched 5-way Schuko extension on Amazon going for £3.82. Looks like a mistake as the non-switched version is £15 but I'm taking advantage of it, at this price I'll just cut the main plug off and put a UK one on.
that "adapter" :D

i looked at those extensions, and i realised that i had never really looked at the prices of those extension cords, i had just bought one when needed.
So the 15£ ones price looked really expensive, while the ~4£ was in the zone that i would have paid.

Well two components of the Aletier system turned up today, the A1 amplifier and CD3 CD player. Incredible considering they were only picked up in Germany on Tuesday. No mention of customs charges on the paperwork and I've had no emails or messages suggesting that I need to pay, I wonder if the others will incur anything. The only place spare to get them out and test them was a bed.

For testing purposes I went full danger and used double death-dapters.

Tested them both and they're working great, have been using the amp all afternoon and the low frequencies are so much better than with the modern Denon. Both are basically spotless (the mark on the CD player above and were very well packed too. The CD player has a super fabcy little flip out control panel below the tray, didn't know it had that as most of the controls are on the front of the machine. The tray also glides out perfectly and has little pads for the CD, very high-end indeed.

I found out that the Denon amp already had a CEE 7/16 to UK adapter on it so re-used that until my Schuko extension turns up.

Speaking of customs, I ordered €1200 worth of fancypants facemasks from the UK on friday, for all the employees at our company, to last us (hopefully) until the end of this shit.

I got a text late friday night that they needed our VAT number for customs. Attached was a link to a DHL web form. I entered it and that was that, it seems to be all that's needed. Expecting delivery on monday or tuesday.

I literally just finished setting up my new AMD rig. Raedeon software has already suggested an RX6900 XT and a 5950X 16-Core as "Recommended upgrades" :ROFLMAO:

I like two screens for the discord/telegram viewing, but the span between my speakers is too far sometimes and I kind of want to bring it together...
E9ABEFE2-2454-4C48-BDF6-5E1804035B62.jpeg

Yeah... I'm sort of in the same boat. Only for me it's a 13" laptop screen next to a 24" monitor of the same resolution :| No way to win with that combination, really - it's always going to be a garbage experience :p

I'm very happy with my bookshelf speakers either side of my 40" monitor TV, the distance is just about right. My second monitor is on an arm so I can swing it in from the side if I need it. That height difference would really annoy me, even at work I put a lot of effort into getting my mismatched monitors level.

Just put some books under there to make them level? Thats what I did. Bit of hassle to find 2 stacks of books which would give le identical height but I managed.

I think I have OCD because I get the willies seeing 2 different sized screens with different resolutions and not lined up

I don't mind different resolutions next to each other but they at least have to be level and the displays levelled out in the OS. At work I have a 1080p 24" with a 1280x1024 17" to the side, they're close enough in resolution and perfectly lined up in software so the cursor matches.

As an aside, three more boxes just turned up from Germany.

Last edited:
I'm used to working on a laptop+extension screen, and often at different places with different setups. so I've gotten super used to have two screens at various positions. I'd go from working with my 13" laptop at home with my 27" 16:10 1920x1200 monitor, to my old client's office, where I'd have my same laptop plugged into 38" LG ultrawide, to my office where it's two 24" 16:9, to our other office where it's a 32" TV on the wall. Sometimes I'd just not bother and stay on my laptop, and then complaining about neck pain after about 2 hours.

It's not the different sized screen/resolution that's bugging me, it's the space between my speakers that bothers me, you can see I hang farther to the right than center or left. I would like to be more central/have the speakers feel more central as far as sound goes.

It's not the different sized screen/resolution that's bugging me, it's the space between my speakers that bothers me, you can see I hang farther to the right than center or left. I would like to be more central/have the speakers feel more central as far as sound goes.

You'd hate my desk...monitor to the left, both speakers on my right.

1612214079045.png

Speaking of monitor and screen setups, I currently have my laptop (15.6" 1080p) hooked up to a 27" 1440p monitor, as I did last spring/summer, but with the main difference being that instead of having them side by side, they monitor is above the laptop screen.

I actually find that setup much more useful and way less annoying, and on top of that, it uses much less space. It's still far from ideal, and I know it doesn't work for everyone.

However, I don't have to worry about speakers, as I use headphones 99% of the time. Not the best solution, but again, it works for me.