Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I agree that the RAM upgrade would be worth it, not sure the difference would be noticeable with the CPU. I have 32GB in this machine, it's enough for Premiere/Photoshop/Illustrator but I'd also go for 64GB or 128GB (for the sake of it) on my next build.

Ffs a recent power outage seems to have killed my wife routers 5ghz band... it works for a little while then just shuts down... but no device gets any notice of it. So all devices using 5ghz just say connected but don’t receive any data, repeaters using both bands just crap out and 2.4ghz devices don’t care at all and just keep running. Took me a while to find this bullshit... switching off 5ghz fixed all issues instantly (without reboot, reconnect, anything).

guess it’s time for a new router then... old pos anyway...

Just don't do what I did and buy an Amplifi Alien. My wi-fi speeds from the internet were cut in half compared to what's built into my 802.11ac cable modem. Strangely, wired ethernet AND wi-fi speeds over LAN were fine.

Don't know what I should try next. I want Wi-Fi 6 with one mesh node and I don't want the devices to look like god damn a space station. Asus ZenWifi XT8, perhaps.

Just don't do what I did and buy an Amplifi Alien. My wi-fi speeds from the internet were cut in half compared to what's built into my 802.11ac cable modem. Strangely, wired ethernet AND wi-fi speeds over LAN were fine.
Oh yeah I followed your posts in that regard - utterly strange behavior! ... I also just don't understand how my issue could happen at all. I mean the 5ghz wifi runs fine for a few minutes before going moldy :dunno:

Anyway, I did what most Germans (and nobody else? this is mostly a German phenomenon, right?) would do and just bought a new AVM Fritz!Box (since current router is also AVM and all the repeater crap I have (two repeaters for a friggin 80m² flat ffs because sonos wifi is an even worse piece of garbage!)). Should arrive tomorow, then onto the hassle of telling my cable provider I have a new router which for some reason can only be done over the phone, which is the worst possible way to communicate the serial number and mac adress of the thing without typos (they fucked it up last time as well). argh...

Ah, FritzBox. My ISP gave out Fritz!Box 6490(?) cable modems to all their customers back in the day. Great devices. Then they got bought up by a bigger competitor which doesn't care about the customers they inherited, so firmware updates stopped coming. I eventually decided I didn't like using unsupported hardware as my firewall (and you couldn't bridge it) so I had to buy a new Arris modem from them. Fuck them.

As far as MAC addresses over the phone... well, I'm getting registration numbers and the like read to me over the phone every day. "Was that Stephen Frank Frank?" "No, it's Esstff Fffeessxs FFfffeess"...

Public schools should cut out some stuff like Latin names for plants and animals and teach kids the phonetic NATO alphabet instead.

Yeah, the 6490 is what died on me here :D It is quite an old machine now anyway...
I've honestly had the same experience when talking to people on that hotline. If I try switching over to Stephens & Franks, they act like I'm crazy and tell me to stop :| Ugh... maybe I'll try the "live chat" crap on their website, which depends on me tricking my way past an automated bot first. And since it's a chat I can't just start singing to it...

Fritzbox 6591 is the one I got from Vodafone with the 1Gbit cable upgrade last year. Quite happy with it, and since it was a Vodafone one, I didn't have the hassle of MAC activation and all that - plugged it in, it blinked the lights for a minute and just worked™.

Wifi works quite well - didn't measure the bandwidth, but it's enough for VirtualDesktop VR game streaming to the Oculus Quest, and that stuff takes all the bandwidth it can get and then some. With the previous router I had from Unitymedia (their white "ConnectBox" thing), some of my devices would regularly crash out and fail to reconnect without manual intervention - especially annoying with the Sonos speaker and the Chromecast. This hasn't happened since the upgrade.

I don't know what I would do with a gig at home, but it bugs me that I can't get anything faster than 250/20. :p Especially the upload is abysmal.

I don't know what I would do with a gig at home, but it bugs me that I can't get anything faster than 250/20. :p Especially the upload is abysmal.
*cries in 12/2*

Haha... there's a point tbh... I could just say screw it and live with 2.4GHz wifi because I only have a 150/10 cable connection anyway (and the wifi is mostly capable of delivering > 100). But damn it, I want fast Wifi, even if I don't know what for!

Upload was the reason I went for the gig package - it's 1000/50 here, with a little more actual upload available (measured at 54). Got the package at a discount at the usual price of 500/25, and added the Fritzbox on top. Before this I had 120/6, which was mostly enough for my needs, but the occasional larger upload was a pain every single time.

Damn, 1000/50 seems incredibly tight-arse. 200/20 here and that seems unfair. Gigaclear are supposed to be becoming available throughout more of the UK and they claim to be 900/900. I'll believe it when I see it!

Maybe they're selling the upload bandwidth to hosting customers?

*cries in 12/2*

Yeah, speed caps suck.
I have 50/5 of which I actually get 48/4 over wifi so I can’t complain really. Stupid thing is there’s no medium upgrade I can do. I can go to 1000/50 if I got fiber, but that would triple my bill aswell, while not giving me that much more headroom.

Also, I don’t have a download limit, which would be the case for the faster (which in itself is a contradiction, here’s a ton of speed but don’t use all of it). ISPs are just weird

*conforts from 50/10*

(which is 42/10)

you'll get better internet... eventually... can you?
I can get I think 20mb, but that's if I cancel and sign up again. The bullshit game of "we only offer deals to new customers and not exisiting longtime, always on time paying customers. No, new people are where it's at."

I can't be bothered to cancel and sign up or spend a bunch of time on the phone with them.

Fritzbox 6591 is the one I got from Vodafone with the 1Gbit cable upgrade last year. Quite happy with it, and since it was a Vodafone one, I didn't have the hassle of MAC activation and all that - plugged it in, it blinked the lights for a minute and just worked™.
As of 10 minutes ago now running a 6660. The MAC activation was suprisingly painless... 5 minutes waiting on the phone, having someone who actually understands when I start telling them my story of Adam, Bertha and Ceasar, afterwards pluggin the damn thing in and everything just worked™ for me too (sorry, had to steal that).
Did not expect that at all, after they told me it could be 2 hours (I guess just to be safe so people don't call again 2 min later) and after they fucked up last time (3 years ago) entering a misunderstood address and refusing to fix it over the phone, insisting on a technician (who facepalmed when we told him exactly what the issue was, but knew who to call for a fix).
After using the same Wifi settings I don't even have to re-connect any devices manually (I did not think that would work tbh), except for the two fritz1200 repeaters (yeah I'm cheap) that I have to run.

As of 10 minutes ago now running a 6660. The MAC activation was suprisingly painless... 5 minutes waiting on the phone, having someone who actually understands when I start telling them my story of Adam, Bertha and Ceasar, afterwards pluggin the damn thing in and everything just worked™ for me too (sorry, had to steal that).
Did not expect that at all, after they told me it could be 2 hours (I guess just to be safe so people don't call again 2 min later) and after they fucked up last time (3 years ago) entering a misunderstood address and refusing to fix it over the phone, insisting on a technician (who facepalmed when we told him exactly what the issue was, but knew who to call for a fix).
After using the same Wifi settings I don't even have to re-connect any devices manually (I did not think that would work tbh), except for the two fritz1200 repeaters (yeah I'm cheap) that I have to run.
well the mac address needs to be updated to every node, and that might be up to 2h (or 5h like here), which is pushed throught the system (when it thinks its a good thing to do).

and yes i did have to wait for an hour with the client to get their replacement arris working, i got paid good overtime that day.

I was looking at buying a house a couple of years back. Obviously the first thing I did was to check what kind of internet I could have at the address. My ISP only offered "up to 20Mbit" which means ADSL. I knew the seller, knew there was cable there and I and actually had a key to the place, so I went there with my modem and plugged it in. 250Mbps no problem.

The phone call that followed was kind of awkward. I called the ISP to ask them if there was a special reason why cable availability didn't come up in their address search, and I then had to explain to the person on the phone how DOCSIS works and how it's possible for me to make a modem work on an address that doesn't have an internet connection.

In other news, 5G is rolling out to the blocks around my work right now. Yesterday I suddenly noticed the 5G symbol while having lunch a couple of blocks away from where I work. That same afternoon I saw it while sitting at my desk but it went away and I couldn't catch it again. Today I got spotty but usable coverage indoors. It's pretty interesting to see the rollout happen.

I was looking at buying a house a couple of years back. Obviously the first thing I did was to check what kind of internet I could have at the address. My ISP only offered "up to 20Mbit" which means ADSL. I knew the seller, knew there was cable there and I and actually had a key to the place, so I went there with my modem and plugged it in. 250Mbps no problem.

The phone call that followed was kind of awkward. I called the ISP to ask them if there was a special reason why cable availability didn't come up in their address search, and I then had to explain to the person on the phone how DOCSIS works and how it's possible for me to make a modem work on an address that doesn't have an internet connection.

In other news, 5G is rolling out to the blocks around my work right now. Yesterday I suddenly noticed the 5G symbol while having lunch a couple of blocks away from where I work. That same afternoon I saw it while sitting at my desk but it went away and I couldn't catch it again. Today I got spotty but usable coverage indoors. It's pretty interesting to see the rollout happen.

Perhaps the Linus Tech Tips video is outdated, but I thought 5G had some major range limitations. Or was that 5GHz network???