Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Sometimes I hate computers. Last night was interesting, I decided to play Horizon 4 the other day after not firing it up for months and immediately noticed that it was running like dog shit. I have only really played Farming Sim and C&C3 since the new year so didn't notice the performance drop. Trying Flight Sim confirmed it. I tried upgrading and downgrading drivers and checking the SSD with the games on but decided it was best to check the 1080Ti over before going further, so I removed it.

I took the fan shroud off and checked for dust bunnies or any other issues, I completely cleaned the machine fairly recently so thought I would've noticed any problems but just did it anyway. As expected, I didn't find any issues and put the card back in. Motherboard no longer sees it. Well shit.

I cleaned the card-edge contacts with alcohol to get any finger grease or whatever off, with no luck and after a bit of messing about decided to remove two of the fans again so I could fit the GPU into the second PCIe slot. It physically wouldn't fit without doing this. Anyway it worked in the x8 slot so I know the card isn't completely dead. Phew. However I was now concerned that the PCIe x16 slot was damaged. I cleaned it with alcohol and an anti-static brush and it was fine. Maybe some residue from the coolant leak I had in 2019, I carefully checked that there was no new coolant leak as it isn't far from 2 years since the original AIO failed.

Anyway now the card was working and running at full speed again. Solid 60fps at UHD/Ultra in Horizon 4 where it would skip and jerk even on the lower settings while claiming I was using 90% of the GPU. Really strange but I'm glad that I don't have to go spending yet, I'd really like to wait for the 3080Ti.

That sounds like a super weird result, tbh. If the PCIe slot doesn't work properly, I'd expect what you saw after pulling the card and giving it a look over: nothing / deadsies! Not this pretending to work but being a lazy bum.

...since the original AIO failed.
Now I'm worried... I thought those were supposed to keep you from having issues :| Also, since my case is ever so slightly cramped (I did have to shove a 240 AIO in there, whatever), if I do end up having any issues, EVERYTHING will be broken.

1616683097994.png

(yes, there's not even a GPU in there yet...)

That sounds like a super weird result, tbh. If the PCIe slot doesn't work properly, I'd expect what you saw after pulling the card and giving it a look over: nothing / deadsies! Not this pretending to work but being a lazy bum.

Yeah it's a bit worrying, I'm putting it down to a bad connection for now. I've had issues with over-tight PSU cables coming loose before but it wasn't the case this time. It works great right now though so I'll take it.

Now I'm worried... I thought those were supposed to keep you from having issues :| Also, since my case is ever so slightly cramped (I did have to shove a 240 AIO in there, whatever), if I do end up having any issues, EVERYTHING will be broken.

I'm not worried about it the AIO specifically any more and it may have just been due to the design of that particular Gamerstorm AIO. This new version was apparently updated to fix the issue but time will tell. It's a little tight in your case but it shouldn't really make much of a difference. This is the post I made in 2019 when I returned from the roadtrip and sorted it, fortunately the coolant didn't seem to be conductive (I didn't test it) and nothing seemed to be damaged after drying out. Maybe I'm seeing the long term effects now... possibly corrosion in the PCIe slot?

FG hivemind, I need your help :) I've kinda decided I want to replace my desktop keyboard and mouse with wireless, to cut down on cable clutter on the desk, and generally refresh things a bit. Thing is, I've sort of worked out a list of preferences for my keyboard and mouse, and there really isn't much out there that seems to fit... so any ideas or experiences with similar products are very welcome.

Wishlist:
- wireless mechanical keyboard
- full layout, F-keys and numpad included
- ideally Cherry MX Blue switches, or as close to them feel-wise as possible
- dedicated media keys, none of that Fn key stuff

- wireless mouse
- shaped similar to the good old Logitech MX518, fitted for a right-hand user
- thumb buttons for "back"/"forward" are a plus, any more not really

My current setup is a Das Keyboard 4 Professional and a Logitech G500s. Which fit (and are mostly the source of) all of the above wishes, except, well, not being wireless. I like the keyboard enough that I've actually considered DIY'ing it to be wireless - should be doable, but far from straightforward. Most halfway documented solutions I've found are "swap the PCB for a custom one" and require resoldering all the switches, so that's a nope.

Current favorite is a combination of Logitech G613 keyboard + G603 mouse, to be had at ~145€:

61xNbcWbvDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

g603.jpg

One thing I don't like is the extra row of G-keys. I've had Logitech keyboards with them before, and while they don't do any harm really, I never used them at all. Also, no idea how the Logitech custom switches compare to the Blues.

Is there anything else out there that compares?

I am interested in the suggestions as well.

The G603 looks like yet another MX518 successor. Probably the most successful mouse design in the world.

My only advice will be that mechanical keyboards with no bezels are much easier to keep clean, they don't catch crumbs and other crap and can be easily brushed out. That's why I have a CoolerMaster MK750 at home (with DSA Dolch keycaps) and a Corsair K70 at work, both with Cherry Brown as I got tired of the clicky blues on my old Razer keyboard.

Logitech are generally well made but my G903 mouse is a bit unhappy after only a couple of years. Usually fine but when I'm doing long right-click drags in Command & Conquer it likes to play up.

Last edited:
My house has a terrible layout on the main floor.. replaced the mismatched subwoofer for my home theater, and it turns out the bass sweet spot is 6ft behind the couch, into the kitchen area. Ends up with low bass levels in the living area, but the kitchen table is drowning in bass. Yeaaaaaah, that's not going to work.

What can really help in hopeless cases like that is actually just getting a second sub... it may end up a bunch of trial and error of placing, but I've had great experience with getting rid of unfortunate standing waves that way. If it's a possibility of course :)

My house has a terrible layout on the main floor.. replaced the mismatched subwoofer for my home theater, and it turns out the bass sweet spot is 6ft behind the couch, into the kitchen area. Ends up with low bass levels in the living area, but the kitchen table is drowning in bass. Yeaaaaaah, that's not going to work.

How well is your sub separated from the floor in terms of vibration transfer? That can have a HUGE impact.

'Operation Chicken Drumstick': How Chinese police cracked the world's biggest video game cheat syndicate​

Chinese police said the case involved six provinces and 17 cheat program trading websites, with 10 cheat program vendors arrested.

It is alleged they have sold various cheat programs to people in many countries, and have turned over about $100 million.

What can really help in hopeless cases like that is actually just getting a second sub... it may end up a bunch of trial and error of placing, but I've had great experience with getting rid of unfortunate standing waves that way. If it's a possibility of course :)
The answer is always more bass!

How well is your sub separated from the floor in terms of vibration transfer? That can have a HUGE impact.
Carpet and pads. It is reflecting off the walls pretty badly, its a front-facing/rear-ported unit that is about 12" from the wall and I cant bring it further. I can try moving it about the room to change the reflections, but not confident it will work properly in the room.

Green = Sub placement, Orange = Seating, Red = The high bass zone
1617368034192.png

The answer is always more bass!

Carpet and pads. It is reflecting off the walls pretty badly, its a front-facing/rear-ported unit that is about 12" from the wall and I cant bring it further. I can try moving it about the room to change the reflections, but not confident it will work properly in the room.

Green = Sub placement, Orange = Seating, Red = The high bass zone
View attachment 3560645

This may have more to do with placement. Can you put the sub on the other side of the tv away from the corner? Also, bass sound waves are long so they need distance to make some tones, but the myth of putting your sub in a corner is the best is actually worse as it will boost some bass frequencies but lessen others, so you’ll have say, a good bass 50-60Hz drum kick, but weak or little to no bass guitar 80-200Hz.

Agreed, easier than getting a second sub would be moving it out of the corner for sure. ... says the guy with his 2 subs each less than 1m from the corners of his living room pushed right up (< 10 cm) to the wall :D

12“ is the distance from the rear port to the wall? That should be ok, but much closer might also already have some effect... Ugh, I remember this crap, trying out placement and such, it can be rather tedious and I can already guarantee once you’ve found a nice position you’ll also find that one annoying frequency in no time. That’s when you start messing with DSPs...

Finally got around to putting together a dynamic wallpaper video using screenshots from Flight Sim. I liked the idea of just having a dynamic wallpaper of anywhere I wanted and the location of the original Mac wallpaper is not very impressive in Flight Sim yet.

Decided to give Opera a whirl. I tend to do so every five years or so. :p

This is the first time I've felt it might be a feasible alternative to my current browser.

Decided to give Opera a whirl. I tend to do so every five years or so. :p

This is the first time I've felt it might be a feasible alternative to my current browser.

And what is your current browser?

So I think I got the placement of the subwoofer correct, and it sounds decent under most music and games. A little heavy under R&B, but that's expected from the genre. I need to move some furniture around and disguise it or cover it in house plants to be less obvious, but there isn't much better I can do with that room due to the dimensions.

@eizbaer is right, there's a few frequencies that are pronounced and annoying.... a fantastic representation is with this song; (Bass warning at 57 seconds).
1617575930207.png

koss_headphones_ksc75_ear_clips.jpg

A pair of Koss KSC75 on-ear headphones. For €24 they are truly amazing. I wholeheartedly recommend them to someone who needs a pair of inexpensive headphones. If you want a more traditional form factor, or just don't want to look like you came straight out of 90s, I recommend Koss Porta Pros for approximately €40.

I noticed they sound a little flat if I'm playing music from my laptop, but that's probably due to laptop's sound card/DAC, as I haven't noticed the same problem with my phone and its included USB-C to 3.5mm adapter.