Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I teamed up with mom and bought a Marshall Kilburn II for dad a couple of christmases ago. I know he would like a bluetooth speaker and the minute I saw the Marshall I knew he would love it. You turn it on by turning the volume knob to the right with a satisfying and tactile click, like a car radio from the old days. It also has knobs for bass and treble. They’re all nicely weightened/dampened, too.

This is so much better than the usual ”press and hold, bleep bloop. Download our app, here’s a new firmware update!”

I need to get me one of these Marshalls.

1622916678884.jpeg

KILBURN is such a terrible name for something electronic.

The WWDC 2021 keynote was rather boring, even slightly disappointing, as many were expecting new hardware, which didn't show up. One interesting thing I noticed is that the 2015 iPhone (6S) is supported under the latest version of its OS, but the 2015 MacBook (12") isn't.

Other than that, FaceTime for Android and Windows is interesting. I unfortunately had dinner during the macOS part so I can't say anything about that, apart from the fact it's called Monterey.

There was one demo in the Mac part that I thought was really cool. Moving your mouse pointer between devices is nothing new (the driver for my Logitech can do that) but grabbing a file on the iPad on the right, moving it across the MacBook that happens to be in the middle and dropping it on the iMac on the left was pretty awesome.

There was one demo in the Mac part that I thought was really cool. Moving your mouse pointer between devices is nothing new (the driver for my Logitech can do that) but grabbing a file on the iPad on the right, moving it across the MacBook that happens to be in the middle and dropping it on the iMac on the left was pretty awesome.
Synergy can do that, cross-platform even. :)

That said, I've tried it twice, and could never get the software to work at all, though I know lots of folks who have.

I also raised an eyebrow when they pitched the AirPods Pro as able to filter out background noise to make it easier for people to hear speech.

Hearing aid manufacturers are used to charging thousands and thousands for devices that afaik do nothing more than to amplify the mid-range...

I also raised an eyebrow when they pitched the AirPods Pro as able to filter out background noise to make it easier for people to hear speech.

Hearing aid manufacturers are used to charging thousands and thousands for devices that afaik do nothing more than to amplify the mid-range...
Current hearing aid tech is fairly advanced. I'm not sure if they filter background noise (it wouldn't surprise me if they do) but they can be tuned to fit an individual's pattern of hearing loss, boosting particular frequencies rather than a whole range. I would argue that background filtering isn't necessary when the hearing is properly corrected. Plus they can bluetooth to various devices as well.

Anyone here use an old cell phone as a webcam?

I need to be able to use an android phone, and since my PC is also on wi-fi, I don't want to use up any potential bandwidth, so I'd want it to work over USB. Is that possible?

Basically every app or tutorial I've seen either goes over wi-fi, or is for Macs. I found an old article from 2014 that says Android can only do this in a debug mode. I have to assume things have changed in 7 years...but I can't seem to find a current "android + windows + usb" combination.

I need to be able to use an android phone, and since my PC is also on wi-fi, I don't want to use up any potential bandwidth, so I'd want it to work over USB. Is that possible?

Basically every app or tutorial I've seen either goes over wi-fi, or is for Macs. I found an old article from 2014 that says Android can only do this in a debug mode. I have to assume things have changed in 7 years...but I can't seem to find a current "android + windows + usb" combination.
Droidcam, nearly all of us in the FG meets use it

Droidcam, nearly all of us in the FG meets use it

yeah i think droidcam has usb mode, but the wifi will give you enought bandwith for the fullhd.

Ive used it in both modes and wifi actually works better than wired for some reason. Also depends on what type of phone you have etc, but both should work

Yeah, I don't know if it's because I'm not paying for droidcam, but I haven't gotten the USB side to work, the wifi side works good though.

Yeah, I don't know if it's because I'm not paying for droidcam, but I haven't gotten the USB side to work, the wifi side works good though.

Edit: Ignore this, I am an idiot.

Guess what? There's a Cake song about that...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, all!
yeah i think droidcam has usb mode, but the wifi will give you enough bandwith for the fullhd.

I got it running last night. I tried it on Wi-Fi first, streaming the video from my desktop PC, and then my girlfriend logged into a zoom meeting with me from her laptop. On Wi-fi, the increased video compression /reduced resolution was kicking in and out, and a few stutters. Once I switched to the USB, and it was smooth as silk.

I was hoping to avoid buying a webcam, but unfortunately this is still a bit too fiddly. With having to manually start it up each time, that means having to pull the phone out of the holder/stand, and I'm reminded why I stopped using this phone...the buggy USB port that disconnects from handling the phone, and re-putting the phone back into the clamp/stand (I'm using a selfie stick which has a tripod mount on the bottom, and I'm using my DeWalt laser level tripod. Hilariously, this height kinda works, and I THINK because it's pointed down, rather than parallel with the walls, I think it actually helps with echo reduction.

1623700705009.png

My Raspberry Pi2 just died I think.
Hard drive connected to it won’t spool up (but does work when connected to pc), sd card also works, even swapped cable and plug.

Do I bother troubleshooting this or just fork over 40€ for a new one? It serves as a mediaserver for watching downloaded stuff and fileserver mainly so it’s no biggie really (since the files are still there I checked)…

Served me well for 5 or so years…

Looking for a new phone for Mrs Noodle, she isn’t too fussy, we’re looking for a midrange phone with qi charging and a decent battery…. Buuuuut…. Qi charging isn’t available on anything other than an iphone (she no likey) or a Samsung S20 which costs 500€.

Aren’t there 300-400€ phones with qi anymore? Her current LG G7 was barely 300€ 2 or so years ago….

The current IPhone SE should have Qi charging and fit your budget...just.