Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

my fellow Germans will know that Google street view is basically nonexistent over here because of… reasons?* But TIL that the equivalent Apple Maps feature has basically 100% coverage of the country in much better image quality as well. I can even look at a picture of our future house in the tiny ass „play street“ its on… neat!

* they allowed people to request their houses to be blurred. Fueled by a utterly uninformed and misled media campaign people way overdid it until Google finally basically said „fine! No street view for you then!“ and pulled the plug.

Last edited:
I always thought the lack of Street View was just a German privacy thing, there are some areas with it. I shall have a look on Crapple Maps for there and here to. :p

I've never really used Apple Maps, after the massive cliffs it used to have I still call it Crapple Maps because it's funny.

Edit: Apple Maps street photos are very good for Germany but I can't see any here!

Apple Maps is probably as good as anything else these days but I still use google maps on everything out of pure habit.

I thought Germany’s aversion to Street View back in the day was that a part of the population has less than fond memories of Stasi.

There are a bunch of houses in my neighborhood where, if you "walk" past them in Street View, they are either fully blurred, or you travel back in time, like, 6 years to a way previous version of that address. Are these usually caused by something Google/Google's algorithm is deciding to do, or are these done on request?

1658876588600.png

Honduras just dispenses with streetview altogether. And Apple maps doesn't even provide directions

... And now for something completely different: since the company I'm working for will move in a couple of months I'm tasked with getting rid of old hard- and software in the closets. I found a laptop with a Core i5-10210U, 8 GB RAM and a 512 GB NVMe SSD which apparently has never been used after it had been set Up on March 18th 2020. At least there were no events in the event log between that date (where the system name has been changed to one used by all other laptops) and today...

... And now for something completely different: since the company I'm working for will move in a couple of months I'm tasked with getting rid of old hard- and software in the closets. I found a laptop with a Core i5-10210U, 8 GB RAM and a 512 GB NVMe SSD which apparently has never been used after it had been set Up on March 18th 2020. At least there were no events in the event log between that date (where the system name has been changed to one used by all other laptops) and today...

So it found a new home already is what you are saying? :)

Nope, I won't steal from my employer, that would be stupid...

My boss said that almost everybody will receive new laptops and old, but still functional and Windows 10 compatible laptops will be donated, but currently the receiver/s is/are not yet decided. Maybe we can buy them for cheap or something, but I don't need a laptop anyway.

Nope, I won't steal from my employer, that would be stupid...

My boss said that almost everybody will receive new laptops and old, but still functional and Windows 10 compatible laptops will be donated, but currently the receiver/s is/are not yet decided. Maybe we can buy them for cheap or something, but I don't need a laptop anyway.
I misunderstood thinking these were slated for e-waste.

Well, most of them are since they are sometimes ancient, we're talking about anything between Pentium 4 up to 4th gen Intel Core which were introduced in 2014 and aren't supported by the current Windows 10 builds anymore. I was pretty surprised to find such a relatively new and apparently unused laptop between those, the next newest were 8th gen Intel Core with 8 GB RAM plus a 128 GB M.2 SATA SSD and a 1 TB 2.5" SATA HDD. I think those will be donated as well, maybe with an upgraded boot SSD, but everything older than that unfortunately isn't worth even donating.

The Hulu app on my TV doesn't get updated, hasn't for years. Its banners are all the same, all the time. It's still showing banners for the same shows from years ago, like The Kardashians, Last Man on Earth, etc.

There's a new Hulu-exclusive movie, Prey, a prequel for The Predator franchise. It's not shown on any of the ads, so I tried to use the "search" function, to search for "prey". The only result was a 2014 British TV series of the same name. Doesn't even show me this new movie at all.

I navigate to the "Movies" menu. It's not front-and-center. I scrolled down about 5-6 rows until I get to the "Newly Added" section, where it's finally shown.

The Hulu app on my TV doesn't get updated, hasn't for years. Its banners are all the same, all the time. It's still showing banners for the same shows from years ago, like The Kardashians, Last Man on Earth, etc.

There's a new Hulu-exclusive movie, Prey, a prequel for The Predator franchise. It's not shown on any of the ads, so I tried to use the "search" function, to search for "prey". The only result was a 2014 British TV series of the same name. Doesn't even show me this new movie at all.

I navigate to the "Movies" menu. It's not front-and-center. I scrolled down about 5-6 rows until I get to the "Newly Added" section, where it's finally shown.

That is how it is on Roku too.

That's idiotic.

At least it works logically on the Hulu phone app, and the Vizio Hulu app...

Android and Apple are the big boys and will get all the attention.

Doesn’t make sense for either the ads or newly added movies to require an update of the app, though. If that were really the case the people building that app really didn’t know what they were doing… 😐

I just popped over to the Hulu app and Prey was the featured show/movie. It wasn't a few hours ago.

I was browsing Facebook in my actual desktop web browser when I all of a sudden got a new version of the interface with a notification pointing out the new features.

Thing is, I can't for the life of me remember what the old one looked like, the one I used every day up until five minutes ago. So I don't know what I'm missing and what actually changed, I just know I'm confused.