Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Reminds me of the old clam-shell Dell Precisions that used RDRAM. What a pain in the arse those were.

I "upgraded" my XPS13 from the previous Ubuntu LTS version to the current one. I shouldn't have done that. I have serious problems getting it to boot at all, or into the GUI even. So far the internet tells me there is some bug probably related to too big a Kernel image, but I can't find a proper solution.

It's moments like these when I consider to just get a Mac.

I "upgraded" my XPS13 from the previous Ubuntu LTS version to the current one. I shouldn't have done that
So I guess same procedure as with windows is called for? 😜 any major update, wait at least half a year and read a bunch of experiences from other people to see what’s still broken?

Well, Ubuntu tries to capture the Windows userbase, so it's just making them feel at home.

I was about to write a post on how Linux doesn't suit my workflow and Windows sucks in general, but then I realized I'm becoming an Apple fanboy.

It started with the iPhone, my first iPhone (SE 2020) was essentially considerably worse spec-for-spec to the Android phone I had before (Huawei P20), but the user experience was so much better. It all came down to a much better SoC, combined with software optimization. I don't think I could return to Android. If I did, it'd probably be a Google Pixel, but then, I don't see a need to upgrade from the current iPhone (11 Pro) any time soon, not even to a newer iPhone.

Now I want to try an Apple Silicon MacBook. I don't have the money, not even for a used, base-model MacBook Air M1 (which would be a bit insufficient anyway), but I am saving some cash at the moment. As I wrote on the previous page, my Dell Inspiron is starting to really show its age, and it doesn't suit my needs anymore. An extra bonus is that my father needs a new laptop as well, so I could easily sell him my old laptop for peanuts.

Now I want to try an Apple Silicon MacBook. I don't have the money, not even for a used, base-model MacBook Air M1 (which would be a bit insufficient anyway), but I am saving some cash at the moment. As I wrote on the previous page, my Dell Inspiron is starting to really show its age, and it doesn't suit my needs anymore. An extra bonus is that my father needs a new laptop as well, so I could easily sell him my old laptop for peanuts.
I'm not exactly a die hard Windows user, but it offers everything I need despite problems (everyone say what you want, I experience few problems with Windows these days). Despite this I would still be looking at a MacBook if I needed a new personal laptop. Apple sent me an email about the new MacBook Pro 14" and 16" this morning, they look great and I'm sure they perform well too. However, unless I wanted to edit my photos (or videos, which I rarely record) while I'm out it would be a total waste.

iOS works great for me on phone and tablet, no intention of ever going back to Android.

I've been using a M1 MBP for work and private use for about a year now, and it's a great experience. Very thankful to my employer for providing the top-spec device - it's rather unlikely that I'd spend this much of my own money on one. Although now that I'm used to it, if I needed one privately I'd likely actually take the hit and go for a lower-specced 14" MBP or a mid-to-high-specced MBA.

The combination of sheer power and at the same power efficiency and battery lifetime just does not exist outside of these devices. Hardware quality is also top-notch. A year ago there have been some issues still with commonly-needed apps not supporting M1/ARM natively, but it's not really a thing anymore. So by now I'd fully recommend M1/M2 Macs to anyone - even the entry-level Airs or Mac Minis are extremely capable machines.

And kind of the same story for me with iOS. Have been an Android user until I got a company iPhone 6S back in 2017. Quickly realized I don't want to be dealing with two phones, moved my private stuff to the iPhone as well, and haven't looked back since, over multiple device upgrades now. Same thing here, if I had to buy one privately again I wouldn't go for the high-end option that my employer makes possible (currently a 13 Pro, likely a 15 Pro / whatever it will be called near end of this year), but would probably still not go back to Android and get a "base" 12 or 13 for myself.

So I guess same procedure as with windows is called for? 😜 any major update, wait at least half a year and read a bunch of experiences from other people to see what’s still broken?
Then wait another half year just to be sure 😉

Custom backgrounds on company machines? What kind of slack house is IT running there? :p

Looks like WD19 docks (yeah I can tell just from the edge I can see on the right and the one in the background), how well do they work with the MacBooks? Or are those connected differently?

Custom backgrounds on company machines? What kind of slack house is IT running there? :p
A relatively good one. :D

We can do many things on our machines - that's necessary for developers, otherwise the IT department would go insane over all the little requests for this or that application... also, we are allowed to use the computers for private stuff. Within reason, of course.

Looks like WD19 docks (yeah I can tell just from the edge I can see on the right and the one in the background), how well do they work with the MacBooks? Or are those connected differently?
They are, and they work fine. Better than with older Dell models, actually. Those cannot handle the Thunderbolt connection to the monitors, so the trick is to plug them into the USB-C port instead. And reverse that once you're finished, unless you want the next user of the desk complain to IT that his newer Dell or MacBook doesn't work properly with the monitors. :D

Samsung 990 Pro SSDs are apparently failing fast, and nobody knows why​

Yesterday I assembled a desktop computer.
Last time I did that was 29 years ago.
It took me many hours, a lot of cursing, some blood (I cut a finger on the cooler fins) and a few Google searches, but I did it.
My kid is very happy and we have a lot of boxes, plastic bags, and spare screws and zipties.

Congrats! I still find it really satisfying
.some blood (I cut a finger on the cooler fins)
This is something that surprises me, building computers has been getting easier but they've never really reduced the number of sharp edges on components. Coolers are a good example as you mentioned and RAM modules can have very sharp edges on the PCBs.

Coolers are a good example as you mentioned and RAM modules can have very sharp edges on the PCBs.
Yeah but thinking about it... with thin metal sheets, you're bound to have sharp edges, can't really do anything about that other than bend said edges, which isn't really all that practical if you have like 100 of them right next to each other. same with rounding off edges of PCBs... with RAM in particular I'm not certain there's actually enough room to do it without introducing other problems.

I think while certainly quite wide spread on FG for example, the niche of people DIYing their PCs is just too small to bother - or go to the effort - of taking care of stuff like that. or they just slap a disclaimer in the manual somewhere "take care not to hurt yourself lol". I know that with cases at least, it's gotten much better. in the early 2000s there used to be a lot of sharp-edge-nightmares out there.

Self built computers work best after a blood sacrifice as well.