Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

They should replace them all once it's confirmed that the firmware fixes the issue. A real shame as the reliability is why I have always exclusively bought Samsung SSDs for the last 7 years or so.

Well that made some poo come out, I hadn't watched the Gamers Nexus video from a couple of days ago and was interested in the Samsung 990 Pro situation. Apparently my 980 Pro 2TB is also affected by bad firmware that can cause it to wear out, it checks out OK as it's only a few months old but I just updated it. SMART says everything is fine, we will see.

In other news, ASUS can't spell the name of their own shit correctly.
8eefbe0d-2f0f-428e-b701-9d1e3e6a15db.jpg

In other other news the foot pedal that comes with my new scanner (Czur ET24 PRO, I started writing in New Toys but got bored) has a USB-A plug on the end but doesn't follow USB specs.

DHINNOVATIONUR-Foot-Padel-for-Aura-Pro-and-Aura-X-Pro-Book-Document-Scanner3.jpg

It just has a cheap microswitch inside that shorts Data+ to ground. Maybe not a catastrophic problem is it was plugged into a PC and stomped on, they should've used a different connector or made it work like a keyboard, for all the pennies that would've cost them. The scanner was not a cheap thing.

1676582381976.png

I would think, for such a simple device, that a headphone-style jack would be cheaper and more robust long-term, but maybe not.

Also: I just ordered a keychron q3. The hell with it. If it sucks I can always send it back.
correction, it was a Q1 - but whatever, it's basically the same anyway. arrived today, didn't even take as long as they announced. i can report: it is extremely nice. i am actually impressed.

also i am slightly mad that right after i ordered, they did announce the Q12 - which is a 96% keyboard but with TK moved to the left. genius! would've bought that instead if it had been available last week, but whatever, i'm happy with where i'm at. managed to survive TKL for a few years now, so it's perfectly fine. also i saved like 20€ that way lol.

Having the 10-key in the left makes absolute functional sense. But, dang, that feels awkward for me. I used to keep a desk calculator next to my keyboard, and I never got used to it...like trying to dance with my shoe laces tied together. 😅

Last edited:
I’m itching for a new toy and I’m looking at drones. Help me.
I’ve had two (both DJI out of the box offerings). Flew the first one for a total of maybe 10h. Didn’t fly the second one at all before deciding to sell it on…

If I pull the trigger it'll be on a Mini 3 Pro with the RC smart controller. It feels like I'll regret it if I get the non-pro and/or the controller without its own screen.

Many years ago I flew a drone that had a controller with a tablet mount. Having a 10" drone screen was great. This doesn't seem to be a thing anymore?

Many years ago I flew a drone that had a controller with a tablet mount. Having a 10" drone screen was great. This doesn't seem to be a thing anymore?
Yeah that’s something I don’t quite get either… I also had the mavic with the remote to hold a phone or tablet. Maybe they ran into too many connection issues or something? I know I had trouble getting the usb link to work properly a few times.

Yeah that’s something I don’t quite get either… I also had the mavic with the remote to hold a phone or tablet. Maybe they ran into too many connection issues or something? I know I had trouble getting the usb link to work properly a few times.

I did some youtube research on the topic earlier. Using your phone as a screen is still a thing, but using a tablet is not. At least it doesn’t look like the mount on the default DJI remote would fit a 10” device.

The DJI RC remote with the built in screen is basically just a 5.5” android device running the same android app so your software experience will be the same. The upside is that your phone is free for other things. The downside is that the built-in android device doesn’t have cellular internet for downloading maps on the fly (pun fully intended) and you can’t livestream like you can from your phone.

Personally I like to keep this separate from my phone and I don’t see a need to livestream. Maps can be downloaded beforehand if you know where you’ll be flying.

Oh, and the standard battery has “249g” written on it because that‘s a weight limit for drones. The extended battery is blank. Obviously they’re not suggesting you could bend the rules a little. :angel:

I've always fancied one, I really liked the features of the original Mavic Pro. That was at the point where it just became too much of a pain in the arse to buy one and legally fly it in the UK.

The Mini 3 does at least skirt under the weight limit that makes things easier, unlike the original Mavic Pro that was around 750g.

Hehe. The DJI drones are really quite good, I've been toying around with various Phantoms and Mavics for some time, and have been thinking of getting a 3 Pro or a SE lately. Don't have too much use for one really, but use cases do show up every once in a while, and the DJI stuff is so nice and uncomplicated compared to my DIY flyers...

Don't have too much use for one really
Since when did that ever get in the way? :p

If the Mini Pro 3 does the follow mode I saw on the original Mavic Pro that would be fun for roadtrips, plus a drone makes even un-scenic areas a lot more interesting.

The reason I went for the Pro was the obstacle sensors first and follow mode second. If it prevents a first time drone flyer from crashing and getting it stuck in a tree, it's worth it. I also went for the Smart Controller because I like the idea of not having to plug my phone in.

So with Twitter, you'd say someone Tweeted you. With Blue Sky, would you say they Blue you?

This Hacker Tool Can Pinpoint a DJI Drone Operator’s Exact Location​

AeroScope​

I also went for the Smart Controller because I like the idea of not having to plug my phone in.
I would be interested in knowing how this works out. I also like the idea of it but I wonder about the placement of the screen, size of the screen compared to the phone I have, battery life and general reliability compared to a phone app. Currently the non-smart version is £210 cheaper in this country, that's significant.

@leviathan the sticks on the smart controller look a bit better, more like traditional RC transmitter sticks. Is that likely to make much difference?