Random Thoughts (Top gear Edition)

They're back at it (the Top Gear team, that is):

BnlWK3PCYAAK3Uz.jpg:large

Oh, clock.

What was the early episode where Jeremy goes to the countryside to test 4x4s? He drives an X5, his Land Cruiser, and a Range Rover, and gets stuck in all of them. One of the locals has a Trooper and another a ratty old Land Rover. Can't find the season/episode #s for the life of me.

They look so young.

Hey guys, didn't want to start an unnecessary thread, thought this would be the best place to ask a little TG question:

Does anybody recall a scene where Jeremy did a comedy pronunciation of a German word? I believe he was outside, might have been with another presenter. IIRC when he said the word they zoomed in on his humorous mouth contortions as he massacred the pronunciation. The word might have been a town name. Not sure.

Watched the episode a few years ago and my family and I were in stitches. I've skimmed through a number of episodes with no success at finding it. Any searches I can think up just get me his thoughts on Germans pronouncing "Squirrel"

Not sure if this is it, but in Series 15, when they were driving used cheap German super saloons across Germany, there was a scene where they has their cars inspected by some massive mobile service van. Jeremy read some German phrases out of a translator book, and it was pretty hilarious.

Hey guys, didn't want to start an unnecessary thread, thought this would be the best place to ask a little TG question:

Does anybody recall a scene where Jeremy did a comedy pronunciation of a German word? I believe he was outside, might have been with another presenter. IIRC when he said the word they zoomed in on his humorous mouth contortions as he massacred the pronunciation. The word might have been a town name. Not sure.

Watched the episode a few years ago and my family and I were in stitches. I've skimmed through a number of episodes with no success at finding it. Any searches I can think up just get me his thoughts on Germans pronouncing "Squirrel"

Not sure if this is it, but in Series 15, when they were driving used cheap German super saloons across Germany, there was a scene where they has their cars inspected by some massive mobile service van. Jeremy read some German phrases out of a translator book, and it was pretty hilarious.

Just queued it up, great scene! Especially James' phone call. Not quite the one I'm looking for though. Thanks for the tip :)

Jeremy mocked it when he was talking about Rolls Royce's new boss, who was German. He mentioned that the first car Aston Martin released after they got a German chairman was the Vanquish ("uaaahemmuaa-sqeeeewill")...

And, in season (I think) 15, when James was reviewing the Boxster Spyder, they (Hammond was) were making fun of "Doppelkupplungsgetriebe" (dual-clutch gearbox).

Anyway, a bit of off-topic. For a Czech, "squirrel" or "doppelkupplung..." is not a problem at all, "girlfriend" however, is a real tongue-breaker. :)

Last edited:
Anyone know for sure it the new burma special dvd has an commentary track on it. I am trying to decide if I want to order it.

Looks like it's got extra footage (probably the behind the scenes that are online), but I haven't found anything to say there's commentary. Mine's been sent out, I'll let you know what's there when I get it (if no one else posts first).

Edit: Those "behind the scenes that are online" would be the ones in my imagination, of course. I was thinking of the "Nile" extras that are online... :?

However, there is one Burma one on the Top Gear website that is rather funny.

Last edited:
Looks like it's got extra footage (probably the behind the scenes that are online), but I haven't found anything to say there's commentary. Mine's been sent out, I'll let you know what's there when I get it (if no one else posts first).

Edit: Those "behind the scenes that are online" would be the ones in my imagination, of course. I was thinking of the "Nile" extras that are online... :?

However, there is one Burma one on the Top Gear website that is rather funny.

Thanks. I have confirmed no commentary which pisses me off. Looks like I will have two holes in my collection now.

I do miss the commentaries on these specials, it's a shame they seem to have stopped doing them.

Edit: Watching it now - aside from the "Behind the scenes" outtakes, it is an extended edition. I've seen a few extra scenes so far, some different voice over work. The total run time is 2 hours, 13 minutes.

Last edited:
I have seen it now. The extended version. Enjoyed the extra bits put in a lot. But the music substutions are dreadful.

Are there "extra bits" not put back in available on the DVD?

Still trying to decide if I want to buy it. If there was a commentary, I would buy no questions asked.

Without a commentary, I am torn over buying.

Some of the bits put back in if anyone is wondering include a part at the stream they cross and measuring how deep they can go before they will be in trouble.

A part where they are shopping for the things to upgrade their lorries.

A part where Jeremy brings cold beers out for the guys.

A couple of others I don't remember.

I was surprised about the music. At least some of it is the same music that was substituted is what aired on BBC America. I was especially looking forward to hearing the song that was in the original version, but they replaced it with the crappy music from BBC America. :(

So I was just watching this interview from Clarkson on the Jonathan Ross show.

A couple of seasons ago they showed that green Range Rover that had this drinks and guns cabinet in it which Clarkson refers to at roughly 4:00. He said he owns one of those as he saw somebody else have it and he must have it. Did he really buy that, or was it just something random he said? I can remember it being pretty expensive, on the other hand I think it'd fit Jeremy ...

he's got a Range Rover but I don't think that it is that one

Yeah he has a black one, third gen pre facelift as far as I know. But it sounds like he let this get fitted in his car - which I doubt. I bet he just said that for fun