Random Thoughts [Top Gear USA Edition]

This was an old idea, but I'm gonna bring it up again.

Rather than do a racing lap ala TG UK, I reckon driving a "Hollywood Action Film" type stunt/defensive driver course would be a better idea. Something with a slalom through cones, then a handbrake turn and through some boxes, maybe some water involved etc. Nothing super hard, but with a good time being maybe about 45 to 50 seconds. Then, instead of Adam reading out the time, just have a stopwatch running at the bottom of the screen whilst the course is being driven. If they go fastest, make it flash epileptically and let them jump up and down like they're on The Price is Right and they've won the showcase.

Firstly, I think it would be much more involving for the viewers, both in the studio and us watching. The track looks fine, but there's nothing particularly exciting about it, and it's kinda hard to tell if someone's doing a good time or not. Most of the celeb's in-car footage is not interesting as it is anyway; may as well show them crapping themselves whilst sliding out of control.

Secondly, it would probably give incentive for more guests to want to go on the show. Right now I don't think anyone who would get on TG UK would rather do a lap on TG US. It's just something different, and would look good on the weekly promo ads that I assume get shown. It also means the guests themselves don't have to be interesting, as long as they have lead feet behind the wheel :)

Lastly, I believe it would bring that segment up to speed with the rest of the program. It's not TG UK remember, this is faster and punchier. They don't have to worry about being too 'Hollywood'. Sometimes the show really loses momentum during the lap, and just feels a little unneccessary. Needs bringing up to speed, as they've done with other elements of the show.

There's my flimsy argument, feel free to tear it apart or offer a different opinion :D

It's something that may actually work, because the way BSSC is done now, it does drag things down a little even if they have a good guest. Just another way for TG USA to put its own stamp on it. :nod:

Approval from shellygrrl - I am now convinced this idea is a winner, and am now awaiting the TGUS version of Andy Wilman to stumble upon this page and have a grumble.

No further opinions required! :D

Something needs to be done, this segment of the show comes off looking worse then 90% of youtube videos.
The rest of the show looks great so why use stock footage of the Suzuki driving into the hanger each week?
Does that 4 seconds of footage really need to be there.

Logistically, IMO, the News segment isn't a feasible one for this version to have, given how far in advance they record the studio bits (the ones for S2.5/S3 were done in December). If they had the same schedule as the mothership -- i.e., record at El Toro a few days or so before it airs -- then yeah.

I generally fast-forward through BSSC. Hell, I typically do the same with SIARPC too. If I want to see an awkward interview of someone I don't care about, there are a plethora of other sources.

I'd LOVE to see TGUS pick up the news segment. Three guys sitting around, bullshitting about cars. Tell me what's going on in the automotive world, argue/joke about it some, move on to the next topic. Rinse. Repeat.

I do have to give the hosts some credit. They seemed to be much more cohesive on 03x01 than on any episode from the first two seasons. Maybe the producers locked the three of them up in a room for a couple months before filming. The conversation feels... genuine. Well, aside from the conversation when they're at the studio; that's still pretty robotic. In due time hopefully that will change.

Logistically, IMO, the News segment isn't a feasible one for this version to have, given how far in advance they record the studio bits (the ones for S2.5/S3 were done in December). If they had the same schedule as the mothership -- i.e., record at El Toro a few days or so before it airs -- then yeah.

as much as i would love to see the return of the news segment, its just isn't possible considering how the shows studio's segments are filmed within a 1-2 week period, as shellygrrl mentioned. seeing how each one of the 3 have their own thing going on (Rut's NASCAR on Speed, Adam's comedy tour dates, and Tanner's race schedule), for now this set up is for them and their commitments. but i wouldn't say that the news segment is out for good. realistically, i think the news could come back in a season or two.

You know how people always like to rag on Clarkson for his 'fro that he had twenty some-odd years ago?

Turns out The Wrecker had an equally awesome mullet.

[video=youtube;0GhOEhCEW-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GhOEhCEW-0[/video]

Any indication of what or when the next special will be? I just watched the Alaska special again and was wondering when they were going to do another.

Okay, so, I figured out why Top Gear US doesn't do weekly studio shoots and the news and all that - they have to rent the site they shoot on. They want to get the most studio shoots they can per day.

http://rent.ocgp.org/

Sorry if this has been brought up already, but I just figured it out.

So does TG UK - they don't own Dunsfold Aerodrome. It would make much more sense to do all the studio filming in one day; so they only have to rent, and pay for, one day rather than a few weeks. And I swear that TGUS spend no time in their hanger anyway; its all a couple of 2 minute links to advert breaks from just outside it.

That having been said; I do like TGUS.

Hey All! First post here. This seems like a great place to share a few thoughts on Top Gear US.

Some quick background info: I own a british car, I'm an American, living in America, and I started watching Top Gear UK before any other car show. I'm fairly young, but I've seen every episode and special that the boys across the pond have aired over the last 18 seasons. From my prior statement, I'm sure you can deduce that I'm a fan of Tog Gear UK.

I went into Top Gear US with a open mind. I was really hoping that it would bring something entertaining to our side of the drink, and would help fill the car void left when the boys in the UK were on break. The first few episodes were bleak, and left a metallic, sterile taste in my mouth. Everything seemed forced and scripted, the opposite of how I like to lead my life. I remained open though, and have seen every episode up to the current date. I just come out and say it, I hate Top Gear US. I tried, I really tried to see the positives, but there is little there. Here are my key points of distaste:

1) The Hosts - These three have the combined personality of a fig newton. Tanner is that little kid that can't throw out any zings. He's boring, scripted, and monotone. I might mistake him for a robot if his skin didn't look so real. He has a inferiority complex due to his size, and is always trying to make up for it with his driving and burnouts. (Yes, I know he is a professional driver). Rutledge - A little more likeable with the bear look, and true love of cars, but once again overly scripted. If they let him be himself, I feel like his dialogue would improve, but we need that sarcastic dry comedy that Top Gear UK always has, and I'm not sure Rutledge has the brains to provide it. Adam - Not a car guy. Not a car guy. Not a car guy! Get him out of there. One of the worst drivers I've ever seen. It's not comical. It's more demeaning and depressing to the guy than anything else. He still has 10 times the personality of Tanner, but that's like comparing a flea to a ant.

2) The Writing - It's like they have taken a scanner and copied Top Gear UK, but then went into photoshop and messed up the image by screwing up the settings. My recent point in hand is the limo episode. I just stared in awe throughout the episode, with a straight face, as they ripped off the entire UK Limo episode frame by frame. I laugh a lot too (I know it doesn't sound like it by this breakdown), but that thing (episode) only made my lips curl down. How do you live with yourself as writers of a history channel show, knowing that you put zippy, zilch, nada creative effort into it. I do think that they did a good job with the desert challenge 4x4 episode.

3) The Stig - If you're going to botch the intro/entrance speech (Tanner) to Stig, then don't say anything at all. I get it, and I see why they haven't done anything with the intro. Then why have The Stig at all? It's the mystery behind the Stig that made him who he was. That's It! There is no mystery in the Top Gear US Stig. Just get rid of him. The thing that took it over the top for me was the Rutledge episode where they made they Stig drive at 10 mph or whatever it was. It was horrible. The Stig doesn't drive slow. That's part of his essence. They're ruining him.

Final Note:

With all of my insides hoping that this thing would be a success, I certainly hoped that it would also have it's own identity. I feel like that is one of my largest afflictions with the show. It's taken what was outstanding, and made a mockery of it.
I found a show recently on The Speed Channel called The Car Show. Within the first episode everything fell into place. The presenters were real, laid back, funny, knowledgable. The set was great. Their formula for the layout/plotline was great. Their version of The News was quick, informative, and funny. They made up their own challenges, and did their own reviews. Nothing was copied. They simply followed Top Gears winning formula. They did it! They did what every other copycat tried, but they succeeded. (The funny thing is, Top Gear US originally had different hosts lined up for their series, and Adam Corolla was one of them. They lost him.)

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been saying for years that Foust has the the personality of a paper bag, yet somehow he's the best they've got to offer. I can't for the life of me, stand anything about this show. It's absolutely horrific.

I also agree - The Car Show was infinitely better, and yet it got axed.
There was a show on speedvision, before nascar took over the world, with a guy driving old ass cars through the mountains. There was no music, no narration, just a guy driving through the mountains. THAT was the best car show on US television. I wish I could remember what it was called. I'll have to search google.

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand where all the hate comes from. It might just be that I partake in "blue sky thinking" on a daily basis, but if I don't hate a television show, I will watch it all the time; and I don't hate Top Gear US by any means.

THAT was the best car show on US television. I wish I could remember what it was called. I'll have to search google.
A show so good you can't even remember the name. That's something every marketer dreams of hearing.

Hey All! First post here. This seems like a great place to share a few thoughts on Top Gear US.

Some quick background info: I own a british car, I'm an American, living in America, and I started watching Top Gear UK before any other car show. I'm fairly young, but I've seen every episode and special that the boys across the pond have aired over the last 18 seasons. From my prior statement, I'm sure you can deduce that I'm a fan of Tog Gear UK.
first off, welcome to the forums. i hope you're not one these trolls who waste time by joining here, post their displeasure of the show, and not return. it just seems like a waste of time to me. but i like to take the time to respond to your first post, if i may...

I went into Top Gear US with a open mind. I was really hoping that it would bring something entertaining to our side of the drink, and would help fill the car void left when the boys in the UK were on break. The first few episodes were bleak, and left a metallic, sterile taste in my mouth. Everything seemed forced and scripted, the opposite of how I like to lead my life. I remained open though, and have seen every episode up to the current date. I just come out and say it, I hate Top Gear US. I tried, I really tried to see the positives, but there is little there. Here are my key points of distaste:

1) The Hosts - These three have the combined personality of a fig newton. Tanner is that little kid that can't throw out any zings. He's boring, scripted, and monotone. I might mistake him for a robot if his skin didn't look so real. He has a inferiority complex due to his size, and is always trying to make up for it with his driving and burnouts. (Yes, I know he is a professional driver). Rutledge - A little more likeable with the bear look, and true love of cars, but once again overly scripted. If they let him be himself, I feel like his dialogue would improve, but we need that sarcastic dry comedy that Top Gear UK always has, and I'm not sure Rutledge has the brains to provide it. Adam - Not a car guy. Not a car guy. Not a car guy! Get him out of there. One of the worst drivers I've ever seen. It's not comical. It's more demeaning and depressing to the guy than anything else. He still has 10 times the personality of Tanner, but that's like comparing a flea to a ant.
i believe Jeremy Clarkson and Andy "Boss Hogg" Wilman originally did not want a race car driver as a host when the current format of the show came to be in 02 because of that reason you mentioned. but then, from what i've seen, European drivers tend to be some-what dull and mono-tone. American race car drivers tend to have a bit more character, but compared to most celebrities, they still suffer from that characteristic. but surprisingly, Tanner is one of those drivers that actually have personality which is why the BBC chose him to be a host from the very start (the un-aired NBC pilot).

Tanner and his "inferiority complex" and Adam not being a "car guy", according to you, could be said the same about Clarkson and James May, no matter how much you defend them. Jeremy has always had an extreme competitive nature, as well as a bit of an insecurity about him that can even over-shadow Tanner, in terms of their personalities. driving though, Tanner has that clear advantage over Jezza. this jive of Adam not being a "car guy" is hilarious though :lol:. James has no reason to be a reckless maniac like his co-presenters. by your logic, anyone who can't race a car professionally, are not gear heads. so that would eliminate a lot of people who love cars, the presenters of Top Gear US and UK (except Tanner and the Stigs), and most likely, you would be in that bunch as well as i and most of the forum members here. driving skill has nothing to do with a passion of cars. sorry if you can't see the humor in Adam trying to better himself in becoming a decent driver, which is the fun of him being there in the first place. you essentially take a regular CAR GUY, like Adam, and watch him evolve behind the wheel.

2) The Writing - It's like they have taken a scanner and copied Top Gear UK, but then went into photoshop and messed up the image by screwing up the settings. My recent point in hand is the limo episode. I just stared in awe throughout the episode, with a straight face, as they ripped off the entire UK Limo episode frame by frame. I laugh a lot too (I know it doesn't sound like it by this breakdown), but that thing (episode) only made my lips curl down. How do you live with yourself as writers of a history channel show, knowing that you put zippy, zilch, nada creative effort into it. I do think that they did a good job with the desert challenge 4x4 episode.
when the executive producer of Top Gear on History is also one of the original of Top Gear on BBC, there is going to be similarities in the writing, no doubt about it. that is NOT a bad thing if you look at it this way. what is wrong with using challenges that the original version had pioneered already? what is the worst thing about that, and why can't anyone who hates the US version answer me those questions, legitimately? i just look at it and see if the American can execute this better than the English. and at this rate, i wouldn't be surprise if the Brits copied the Americans in the future. remember, this show is aimed more towards people who haven't seen the UK's version seeing how there is a cult following here in the States than a Mass following like in other countries. UK fanboi half wits are a dying minority now.

3) The Stig - If you're going to botch the intro/entrance speech (Tanner) to Stig, then don't say anything at all. I get it, and I see why they haven't done anything with the intro. Then why have The Stig at all? It's the mystery behind the Stig that made him who he was. That's It! There is no mystery in the Top Gear US Stig. Just get rid of him. The thing that took it over the top for me was the Rutledge episode where they made they Stig drive at 10 mph or whatever it was. It was horrible. The Stig doesn't drive slow. That's part of his essence. They're ruining him.
now, this just seem a bit too dramatic. it's a television show, chill. i hope you weren't crying abut that. :lol::lol:
Final Note:

With all of my insides hoping that this thing would be a success, I certainly hoped that it would also have it's own identity. I feel like that is one of my largest afflictions with the show. It's taken what was outstanding, and made a mockery of it.
I found a show recently on The Speed Channel called The Car Show. Within the first episode everything fell into place. The presenters were real, laid back, funny, knowledgable. The set was great. Their formula for the layout/plotline was great. Their version of The News was quick, informative, and funny. They made up their own challenges, and did their own reviews. Nothing was copied. They simply followed Top Gears winning formula. They did it! They did what every other copycat tried, but they succeeded. (The funny thing is, Top Gear US originally had different hosts lined up for their series, and Adam Corolla was one of them. They lost him.)

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been saying for years that Foust has the the personality of a paper bag, yet somehow he's the best they've got to offer. I can't for the life of me, stand anything about this show. It's absolutely horrific.

I also agree - The Car Show was infinitely better, and yet it got axed.
There was a show on speedvision, before nascar took over the world, with a guy driving old ass cars through the mountains. There was no music, no narration, just a guy driving through the mountains. THAT was the best car show on US television. I wish I could remember what it was called. I'll have to search google.

ah yes, The Car Show. which, after one season, was cancelled. but this was mainly due to the constant interference by Speed Network's executives. i honestly enjoyed watching The Car Show up until they cut the show's time in half and got rid of John Salley. as a fan of Adam Carolla, i'm kinda of glad he wasn't on Top Gear. seeing him in The Car Show, Top Gear wasn't a good fit, and i was hoping he'd be a host on the US version when the series was at it's infancy. and i hope he hasn't given up on The Car Show and puts it in another network. Lord knows we need more shows like this and Top Gear to counter-balance the stupidly amount of lame-ass "reality" shows.

sorry that Top Gear US didn't tickle your fancy, and that watching the original UK version, quite possibly, screwed with your reasoning on why there had to be an American version. but don't look at it as a "rip-off", which is insulting to the BBC, seeing how they're the ones responsible for bringing the show here in the first place. as big fan of the UK version, i enjoy and appreciate that they want to produce an American version, to expand their horizon to broader audience without having to always rely on Jezza, Hamster, and Captain Slow carrying the name all the time.

Okay, so, after watching the Ariel Atom challenge and the Noble M600 test again, it seems as though the three have done some work on their voice-overs. They seem a lot more "professional", if you will, on those tests than, say, a typical cheap car challenge. I really like that, it seems like it's starting to bring Top Gear US up to a little bit of a higher standard.

I'm okay with Top Gear USA.

It's not as good at Top Gear UK (yet). But I think it has promise.

The United States has a very diverse population spread over a wide array of geographic regions. There was no way they could have made all three hosts appeal to everybody. You have the more diverse you could get as far as their way of life I think.

Tanner is a young, race car driver with a West Coast type Personality.
Adam is the old soul in the group who is from the East Coast and Urban Life.
Rutledge is a rural type person, who also represents the 3rd Coast states.
The Stig needs to have a more important role in the show, I feel he is underused. In Top Gear UK you knew he was the Chuck Norris of presenters, in the USA version he's just a driver.

They are doing pretty good right now, focusing on challenges, but I kind of would like see some unique ideas, if that was possible. I think it's going to be a couple of seasons before they perfect the formula of the series. I would like to see stupid things like long range fuel competitions, 1500$ car challenges of car type X, and international trips.

My dream change to the show? Replace Tanner with Danica Patrick, haha.

when the executive producer of Top Gear on History is also one of the original of Top Gear on BBC, there is going to be similarities in the writing, no doubt about it. that is NOT a bad thing if you look at it this way. what is wrong with using challenges that the original version had pioneered already? what is the worst thing about that, and why can't anyone who hates the US version answer me those questions, legitimately?

Seriously. It's getting annoying.

Take two of the challenges from this past season: the big rigs and the DIY stretch limos. Both originally done by the mothership (12x01 and 9x06, respectively). However, IMO, they're both tailor-made challenges for a US version of the show. Eighteen-wheelers/big rigs/lorries permeate this country's landscape and, as someone mentioned in the limos' episode thread, this is the country that gave birth to the stretch limo.

I rate both big rig challenges about the same. That said, I give a slight edge to the US take on it because the guys took them out on actual roads. (The UK guys did not; they stuck to Millbrook or the TG test track.)

On the other hand, I prefered the US take on the limo challenge, despite the fact Rut's design was similar to James' and Tanner's was much like Jeremy's. Probably because: 1) Adam's Popemobile, and 2) it seemed less cringy to me for some reason than the UK version. I don't know why.

Meanwhile, here's another question for which none of the haters seem to have a legitimate, sensible answer: Why does this version "need" a leader? Why can't it have a more egalitarian approach to things?

i just look at it and see if the American can execute this better than the English. and at this rate, i wouldn't be surprise if the Brits copied the Americans in the future. remember, this show is aimed more towards people who haven't seen the UK's version seeing how there is a cult following here in the States than a Mass following like in other countries. UK fanboi half wits are a dying minority now.

Emphasis mine, because this is another point the haters don't seem to understand.

ah yes, The Car Show. which, after one season, was cancelled. but this was mainly due to the constant interference by Speed Network's executives. i honestly enjoyed watching The Car Show up until they cut the show's time in half and got rid of John Salley. as a fan of Adam Carolla, i'm kinda of glad he wasn't on Top Gear. seeing him in The Car Show, Top Gear wasn't a good fit, and i was hoping he'd be a host on the US version when the series was at it's infancy. and i hope he hasn't given up on The Car Show and puts it in another network. Lord knows we need more shows like this and Top Gear to counter-balance the stupidly amount of lame-ass "reality" shows.

Personally, I could stomach only two episodes of The Car Show; I found it dull. And I can't stand Adam Carolla. The only person on there I remotely liked was Matt, and I know where to find his work. :nod:

sorry that Top Gear US didn't tickle your fancy, and that watching the original UK version, quite possibly, screwed with your reasoning on why there had to be an American version. but don't look at it as a "rip-off", which is insulting to the BBC, seeing how they're the ones responsible for bringing the show here in the first place.

Indeed. Me, I prefer to think of it as Top Gear with a US flavour.