Random Thoughts [Top Gear USA Edition]

Same subject matter, two approaches.

Looks like they're beginning to promote the show again! History is showing a lot of episodes over the next week - at least one episode a day starting on Tuesday.

???..

Happppppyyyy New YEARS all..allls yeAlls!

Well, I would have thought January 2013 Episodes...ANY...should be the START or Season 4 (SE4).

It's the second half of Season 3 that's started. :nod: Season 4 will likely be in the summer.

saw the preview for the feb 12th episode, looks like they're ripping off TG:UK again....w/ the caravan cars this time

So? Maybe they'll do a better job of it?

Love it. Obviously not near as much as BBC's, but it is still entertaining. Not a big fan of Tanner Foust though.

I have to say this show has become really unfortunate. Each show is a direct rip off of the UK stuff, which even the UK is overdoing now.
The biggest problem I have is they are directly making this show to people who barley give a crap about cars. They are constantly destroying cars now, and cars in good shape. The biggest problem I have is buying cars that were obviously taken care of by someone who loved that car (Talon, VW Van) and they just ram them into everything for cheap laughs.

Its very much like they have sold out Top Gear for wide market appeal and that means car destruction, decent cars that a normal person would be proud to own (Saab, Talon, VW Van, Trans Am, lots of them) Adam is not that funny, he really knows nothing about cars, I find him mildly offensive. Rut is an ok guy and Tanner is cool, but they have really made this show into crap in an attempt to gain as much viewership as possible, a real disapointment. Even TGUK has been not great lately, check out Road Kill on youtube for real car guys and great episodes.

Haven't seen any of Season 3 so far, will get around to it shortly.
When I said shortly, what I actually meant was 6 months later...

Sooo... *turns on 3x01* ;)

My belief is that they really are trying hard to do their best. Things they have going for them is that its taped and edited just as well as TGUK, and they have a decent fan base so far. The problem seems to be the delivery of the material. When they speak it doesn't "feel" right. It seems so rehearsed and impersonal. Just some guy spewing car facts, like most other auto shows. The thing that contributed the the success of the original Top Gear is that it was a comedy show that featured cars, not the other way around. That's what made it great. Tanner, Rut, and Adam do ok and I hope they can step it up, and get confident infront of the camera, because it just seems like they are reading from the brochure and not from their heart.

The thing that contributed the the success of the original Top Gear is that it was a comedy show that featured cars, not the other way around.
Not at all. It was always a car show first shown in an entertaining way. The comedy grew as the audience grew. Go watch the original couple seasons. Now I would agree with you that it is more a comedy entertainment show that features cars. They are reaching for a broad audience.

My belief is that they really are trying hard to do their best. Things they have going for them is that its taped and edited just as well as TGUK, and they have a decent fan base so far. The problem seems to be the delivery of the material. When they speak it doesn't "feel" right. It seems so rehearsed and impersonal. Just some guy spewing car facts, like most other auto shows. The thing that contributed the the success of the original Top Gear is that it was a comedy show that featured cars, not the other way around. That's what made it great. Tanner, Rut, and Adam do ok and I hope they can step it up, and get confident infront of the camera, because it just seems like they are reading from the brochure and not from their heart.

I think it's the producers fault more then the hosts, the hosts are there to make top gear, the producers seem like they are there to make a show on the history channel.

I can agree with you on that. The producers are THE boss. No arguement there. However Rut, Tanner, and Adam are the public faces. They're on the "front lines" so to speak, and need to be more of what they aren't. Funny, personable, and entertaining. They do have some group chemistry now, but still seem to only be working next to each other, instead of with each other.

I don't think this is worth it's own thread so I'll just put it here: I went and saw Adam at a comedy club last night and the dude was a riot. He asked some lady in the audience what she did for a living and she told him she was a check in agent for an airline. He screamed at the top of his lungs "You work for an airline? WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY BAGS BITCH?"

Could Top gear america's format of no studio work for the UK version? I wouldn't mind the change if it meant we got as many episodes as the american version is putting out.

Could Top gear america's format of no studio work for the UK version? I wouldn't mind the change if it meant we got as many episodes as the american version is putting out.

I feel like it would be kind of weird to suddenly phase out the studio bits from TGUK now that it's been around for ten or so years. Then again, the Cool Wall is no more, and while its absence was a bit startling at first, I don't even think about it anymore. So maybe if they did it gradually. I do like the news, but I could do without the celebrity interview and laps.

The studio section of TG USA was likely taken out due to time constraints, they have something like 20 minutes less screen time than the UK version so it makes sense to focus that time on what is bringing viewers to the show.
The studio will likely never be cut from TG UK, it seems to vital to the show's structure.