Random Thoughts....

Has anyone any experience with eBook readers?

I've a bunch of Amazon vouchers from Xmas and I'm kinda tempted by a Kindle (or similar)...

Got a great answer from that Akinator

Question: Is the character the mayor of your town?
Answer:Yes!
Guess:I'm thinking...The mayor of your town!

After a couple more questions I defeated him!

Anyone recognize this webcomic?

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2009/12/29/1251732911535.jpg

That Akinator thing is actually quite stupid, when I genuinely had something it didn't know and went beyond the usual 20 questions, it would ask useless questions over and over again. For example, after it asked "Is your person German?" and I answered "Yes." it would ask "Is your person from Europe?" and other stupid stuff that was already irrelevant because of previous answers to questions. It really is no miracle, it's just a big database with a half-clever way to weed out possible solutions.

Last edited:
That Akinator thing is actually quite stupid, when I genuinely had something it didn't know and went beyond the usual 20 questions, it would ask useless questions over and over again. For example, after it asked "Is your person German?" and I answered "Yes." it would ask "Is your person from Europe?" and other stupid stuff that was already irrelevant because of previous answers to questions. It really is no miracle, it's just a big database with a half-clever way to weed out possible solutions.

Akinator - "Is your character dead?"

Me - "Yes"

Akinator - "Is your character currently working?"

Me - :|

Has anyone any experience with eBook readers?

I've a bunch of Amazon vouchers from Xmas and I'm kinda tempted by a Kindle (or similar)...

Wait a bit, there will probably be an Apple tablet out soon. Also, you can use an iPhone as a book reader.

That akinator thing got me in 29 questions. Damnit. I should have given the technically right answer one time instead of what normal language use suggested.

OK, I got to 38 questions with our beloved Sabine...

Ha, I got it! It gives up after 40 questions...

Last edited:
Wait a bit, there will probably be an Apple tablet out soon. Also, you can use an iPhone as a book reader.

I don't have an iPhone, so that's that ruled out. I could read books on my phone but it's a pain.

As for the Apple tablet, it intrigues me but it'll be miles outside of my price range (I've heard rumours of $600 to $2000 bandied about).

Besides, I'm genuinely interested in an eReader, not a tablet PC of some kind.

the alternative for the amazon vouchers is an xbox 360

Last edited:
I completely defeated the Akinator in 30-some questions (IIRC). It guessed Paul Dirac, some other guy and Colin Chapman, then gave up. I was looking for Sir William Lyons (of course.)

Last edited:
Well apparently William Lyons is in the database. I tried it too and got Colin Chapman.

It did find Carroll Shelby.

Yeah, after you defeat it, it asks you to put the name and info into the database. I added it and it thanked me for 'introducing' it.

Aw man I love that game.... I went all roman-esque one night and it took him about 30/35 questions to get them on average.

MUST.....RESIST......PLAYING.............

I tried Numa Pompilius, didn't work out there.

everyone playing the akinator needs to check out 20Q, same idea, but much more broad in scope. Calls itself a neural network.... it's apparently been running since the 80s and learns as it goes.

Ow. Ate too much chocolate today. Substituting candy for meals is not a good idea.

Our internet connection still isn't up to speed! :cry:

They reckon it should be fixed in the next couple of days. WTF? Hurry up about it! Dial-up speed sucks! :wall:

EDIT:
<----- Oooh. I has a porche!

Last edited:
Last edited: