Random Thoughts....

Right now we have winds from the west at 38mph, gusting to 46mph+. Weather forecast says the rest of the day will be winds 40-50mph. Anyone for a kite?

I like to fly while in planes. Hanging on to a kite is scary as hell.

In a few weeks the wife and I are going to Mackinac Island Michigan, noodling our way North on the Eastern side of Lake Michigan instead of taking the fastest route by Interstate. As most anyone from Michigan or has been through Michigan can tell you, there is crappy Michigan (Flint, Detroit)and everything else. Everything else is is immensely beautiful, scenic and as we discovered, dirt cheap. One night hotel stay at a major hotel near Grand Rapids? $60. Two night stay in Mackinaw City? $130. $130 will get you a Holiday Inn Express room for night in the Chicago area.

Looks to be a lovely time; no rushing to get there, just one state highway (31) to pass through all the maritime towns.

For reference, Mackinac (pronounced mac-ah-naw) Island is a bit like Marthas Vineyard, Outer Banks NC or IIRC the Isle of Wight. NO cars allowed, we plan to explore using bikes or self drawn horse buggy.

See, Michigan rocks. May I suggest a trip through the U.P. on your way home. It will be a bit longer, but it is a great drive.

It?s almost 20:00 (8pm) and the temperatures here have dropped below 10? C ... the forecast says, temps will drop to around 1-2?C in the Night.

This time last week, we hit 25?C and more ... now I?m getting out the thick clothing again. Come on weather! Pick one! Either summer or winter! You can?t do both! That?s not fair!

It?s almost 20:00 (8pm) and the temperatures here have dropped below 10? C ... the forecast says, temps will drop to around 1-2?C in the Night.

This time last week, we hit 25?C and more ... now I?m getting out the thick clothing again. Come on weather! Pick one! Either summer or winter! You can?t do both! That?s not fair!

Global warming is failing! quick! everybody start driving something that gets 10mpg!

In a few weeks the wife and I are going to Mackinac Island Michigan, noodling our way North on the Eastern side of Lake Michigan instead of taking the fastest route by Interstate. As most anyone from Michigan or has been through Michigan can tell you, there is crappy Michigan (Flint, Detroit)and everything else. Everything else is is immensely beautiful, scenic and as we discovered, dirt cheap. One night hotel stay at a major hotel near Grand Rapids? $60. Two night stay in Mackinaw City? $130. $130 will get you a Holiday Inn Express room for night in the Chicago area.

Looks to be a lovely time; no rushing to get there, just one state highway (31) to pass through all the maritime towns.

For reference, Mackinac (pronounced mac-ah-naw) Island is a bit like Marthas Vineyard, Outer Banks NC or IIRC the Isle of Wight. NO cars allowed, we plan to explore using bikes or self drawn horse buggy.

$130 in Mackinac, not staying at the Grand Hotel then?

You'll love it, Mackinac is great. If you're staying in Grand Rapids there is the Frederick Meijer Gardens, Hopcat bar, and Founder's Brewery, also some great wineries along southern 31. Also make sure you take the S-curve through Grand Rapids at about 70 MPH for good measure.

Reactions: Jay
You wish I was intercontinental. E for effort though. ;)

See, Michigan rocks. May I suggest a trip through the U.P. on your way home. It will be a bit longer, but it is a great drive.

We were considering that, but she has to back to work on Wednesday, and we would rather not rush. And we have both been through the UP and we know it can get kind of looooooooooong.

$130 in Mackinac, not staying at the Grand Hotel then?

It will be $130 for two nights in Mackinaw city; the hotels on the island jack up fees if you are only staying a few days or not on a weekend.
You'll love it, Mackinac is great. If you're staying in Grand Rapids there is the Frederick Meijer Gardens, Hopcat bar, and Founder's Brewery, also some great wineries along southern 31. Also make sure you take the S-curve through Grand Rapids at about 70 MPH for good measure.

Ah! She was looking forward to wineries; that and my father, born and raised in Flushing swears by the cherry pie in Traverse City. We will be staying one night in Muskegon.

Last edited: