Random Thoughts....

Hell yeah!
Especially when it's the day Mt. Vesuvius erupted!
as well as an event that I find humorous:
1992 ? Hurricane Andrew hits South Florida as a Category 5 Hurricane.
A year before I was born and already wreaking havoc.
Because my name is Andrew.

Um...I was born the day before the reunification of West and East Germany.
October FTW!!!

Bigging up April! Its great as loads of my mates' birthdays are in April too :p I also share a day with the assasination of Martin Luther King, the death of Karl Benz, the 'birth' (dedication) of the WTC and the birth of Microsoft. Not too bad I don't think. 4th April FTMFW, despite the fact I was only there for half of it.

Um...I was born the day before the reunification of West and East Germany.
October FTW!!!

That makes me feel old :( I remember that...

It's not lupus.

notlupus.png

That makes me feel old :( I remember that...

I have been feeling seriously old lately as well. Like, seriously old.

A while ago I realized today's young adults were born in 1992-93... those people are now able to vote, drive, even buy alcohol in most countries. Now, if you were born in 1992 then you probably don't really remember anything from before the late 90s. That means, there's adults out there now who've never heard that funny modem sound from the days of dialup modems, who may never have seen a VHS or cassette tape. They probably need to think really hard to remember why people burned CDs even!

Isn't that crazy? Think of the internet in the late 90s... if you had never experienced it at the time, you wouldn't recognize it as having much to do with the internet of today. Kids these days, they don't know that there was a time that you actually needed to plan out your web surfing due to the painfully slow connection speeds... imagine if you actually had to think long and hard about clicking thumbnails in Google Images because even one picture of average resolution could take 15-20 seconds to load. Once MP3s became a big thing, you could easily spend one hour or more downloading a single song (and guess what, your phone would be busy the whole time you were downloading the newest Backstreet Boys song).

And, yes, we did actually call it surfing the web back then. Going on the internet was an actual activity like going to the park or going to a concert... it wasn't a necessary part of life.

It sounds like I'm talking about 40 years in the past, but actually, this stuff happened almost yesterday. And that I suppose, is the biggest sign I am getting and feeling old - that 12 years ago is just yesterday to me.

:wheelchair:

Why does it seem that I'm the only person I know who has seen the movie "Fresh"?

Thought about it, but I am at odds with the extreme sides of me, which is right wing/free market and the conservationist/pacifist hippie.

I mean, how many capitalist pigs do you know that drive a Subaru and frolic in nature? Or equally listen to both Rush Limbaugh and NPR?

Jay,

That is because you use your brain - select those things that you think will work, review critically those things that you think may or may not, and try to understand the other fellows point of view and the flaws in his arguments. How we should all be politically, analytical and critical.

Last edited:
I have been feeling seriously old lately as well. Like, seriously old.

A while ago I realized today's young adults were born in 1992-93... those people are now able to vote, drive, even buy alcohol in most countries. Now, if you were born in 1992 then you probably don't really remember anything from before the late 90s. That means, there's adults out there now who've never heard that funny modem sound from the days of dialup modems, who may never have seen a VHS or cassette tape. They probably need to think really hard to remember why people burned CDs even!

Naah, I remember all that, waiting for the Age Of Empires website to load on dialup, watching bits of it appear one bit at a time, and I can't get over how my youngest sister doesn't understand the concept of rewinding a VHS as she was raised in a world of DVDs...

I also remember listening to a cassete tape on a stereo and being amazed that it automatically played the other side without you having to flip the tape over, thought that was awesome at the time!

Then again I also own two record players, and a valve radio so perhaps I'm not the most modern person anyway! :lol:

It's as murky and foggy as Dickensian London outside. I even broke out a (terrible) cockney accent over breakfast.

You were spared The Consumption, I take it, if it really was 1860's London.

"Oy! Canhnt make it to work, guv'nah! I gots the consumption, I do!"

I have been feeling seriously old lately as well. Like, seriously old..............
And, yes, we did actually call it surfing the web back then. Going on the internet was an actual activity like going to the park or going to a concert... it wasn't a necessary part of life.

Yup, and some of us had no accessible internet AT ALL in our youth. We played outside, rode bikes, went on adventures and used our imagination. Wikipedia was paper based and found at a library. There were no CDs.

You aren't old. You are supposed to be out there, setting the world on fire, fighting for causes, having a good time every night, breaking hearts and furniture in equal measure. Get on with it! I'm expecting good things from the youth of today.