Random Thoughts....

If anyone is curious why getting a watch worked on is so expensive, it's because the tools and equipment needed cost the same as unobtainium.

http://www.julesborel.com/horological/page183.htm

A 5 gram tub of chronogrease runs >$45.

Hooray.

Speaking of watches...

My faithful Casio chronograph had its timer hand knocked out of place after a spelunking trip a while ago. It works fine, it just starts from the 11-sec mark instead. I've been meaning to get it fixed and maybe buff up the case for a while now, but how much would that cost on average? The case will have to be taken apart.

i was thinking of getting a basic sportswatch, sure my phone, the car, the house and the PCs have the time, but there's soemthing about a trusty watch i miss

I think this is the first cold to be spread by the interwebs! Because I got it also......*Sneeze...sniff

Me too. And it certainly helped that I went to a CFL game to take pictures and it was kinda cold and kinda almost raining.

Totally almost got knocked over a couple times in the first quarter. Yay?

How to determine if someone has diabetes (pronounced diabeetus).

Some details spoilered since some may find this disgusting.

We're in my dad's bro's place in the telugu-speaking state of Andra Pradesh in India. We've been here for at least 4 or 5 days now. One of these days my "Uncle" (basically this dude that married my dad's younger sister and has been giving us problems) and my aunt came to visit.

This "uncle" who we will call Gee woke up in the middle of the night to go use the bathroom. My mom wakes up very early in the morning (3 or 4 am) and so spotted him heading to the loo to piss. In the morning, when I had to head to the bathroom.......

I noticed that there were a lot of ants in the loo (which is an eastern toilet, not the standard western one). I also had this distinct smell of urine and something else I couldn't recognize. Then I realized it had a sweet/sugary fragrance.

My mom corroborated this story.

Turned out he didn't flush properly (aka put enough water in the hole) - so he's not hygienic... and his urine is overly sugary which attracted ants. So he's diabetic.

-stuff about diabeetus-

I think I may be diabetic. Too bad I don't really want to find out like that. I kinda don't want to know at all, I already have enough problems health-wise. x.x

^^^ At least he'll always have a source of cheap whiskey:

Mmmm...urine whiskey.

1. Get Gee to piss in a bottle.
2. Make whiskey
3. ???
4. Profit!

Also: Seriously? Urine Whiskey? Some traditional (read: old-fashioned) yogi's might like that as they "claim" that consumption of the morning urine is healthy.

Eastern toilets are so damn gross. They are the reason why to this day I never go in public, well not number two anyway.

Speaking of watches...

My faithful Casio chronograph had its timer hand knocked out of place after a spelunking trip a while ago. It works fine, it just starts from the 11-sec mark instead. I've been meaning to get it fixed and maybe buff up the case for a while now, but how much would that cost on average? The case will have to be taken apart.

You may be able to adjust the hand position using a specific button press sequence. One of my watches came with instructions on how to adjust the chrono second hand if it's misaligned. If you can find the manual for yours it's worth checking.

That said, opening the case to get to the face of the watch is a 30 second process for someone who knows what they're doing, adjusting the hand would then be as simple as plucking it off and replacing it in the right position or even just pushing it to the right spot.

The buff/polish/scratch removing will be the time consuming (and more expensive) bit. Still though, it shouldn't be something hard for even a bench tech to do.

You may be able to adjust the hand position using a specific button press sequence. One of my watches came with instructions on how to adjust the chrono second hand if it's misaligned. If you can find the manual for yours it's worth checking.

That said, opening the case to get to the face of the watch is a 30 second process for someone who knows what they're doing, adjusting the hand would then be as simple as plucking it off and replacing it in the right position or even just pushing it to the right spot.

The buff/polish/scratch removing will be the time consuming (and more expensive) bit. Still though, it shouldn't be something hard for even a bench tech to do.

Hmm, sounds like you know everything already and it's only early September. :p

How long is watchmaking school anyhow?

Hmm, sounds like you know everything already and it's only early September. :p

How long is watchmaking school anyhow?

The second day of class we were given our tools and an old watch movement to disassemble and reassemble. It's a very hands on practice. Anyway, I know the chrono hand thing from my experience with one of my watches as I said, and watch hands are mostly held on only by friction anyway- they're press fit over the hour wheel/minute and second pinions. The questions he had were basic. :lol:

The program I'm doing is ~16-18 months. There are other longer ones, and of course there are further more in depth/specialized courses I can do after this as well.

The second day of class we were given our tools and an old watch movement to disassemble and reassemble. It's a very hands on practice. Anyway, I know the chrono hand thing from my experience with one of my watches as I said, and watch hands are mostly held on only by friction anyway- they're press fit over the hour wheel/minute and second pinions. The questions he had were basic. :lol:

The program I'm doing is ~16-18 months. There are other longer ones, and of course there are further more in depth/specialized courses I can do after this as well.

What watchmaking school are you currently attending? I'd love to take a few classes and learn more about the art, it's fascinating.

My grandpa in China (the one who got divorced at age 82, because he is a BAMF) repaired watches for a living until his eyesight finally went.

The Danger gig on Saturday was great. We got Arnold clips on the backdrop, too.

I went to bed with something in my eye (an eyelash I guess) and woke up today with a totally swollen and red eye ...

I?ve been playing my new favorite game with everyone I?ve met today so far ... first only let them see my left face the left side of my face and then turn the head radidly and look them straight in the face.

One co-worker almost dropped his coffee in shock :D

Last edited:
The forms for my graduation stuff came in the mail today. Sorting out tickets and my gown and whatnot (provided I pass - which I should, but even if you don't you still have to pay admin fees, so I'd better make it worth it!). I felt a bit pathetic when I saw the size categories for the gown and knew I'd be picking the smallest.... yep I know I'm a shorty but that's just rubbing it in! :lol:

Also, the ceremony will be the same day as my mum's speech night for her school, so she won't be able to come. :-( Hopefully dad and stepmum can.....or failing that I'll drag my best mates Kellie and Alex along by shoving the extra purchased tickets under their noses and guilt-tripping them into coming. Muahahaha! :evil:

EDIT: Also, my internets are still being stupid....so not much surfing for me tonight.

Last edited: