Random Thoughts....

"You must spread some Nutella around before giving it to calvinhobbes again."

Never mind. Consider yourself upcoated.
Thanks! That'll go nicely with my creamy centre.

I just got a phone call that appeared as WITS3 on my caller ID with a DC area code.

One search later:
http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/105087
Washington Interagency Telecommunications Services (WITS) has introduced the new WITS 3 contract vehicle that includes a full suite of voice solutions, from basic local and long distance service to VoIP, cable installation, satellite, teleconferencing and audiovisual services, technical support and much more.

The WITS 3 site is designed to help customers choose from a variety of telecom services available to all the federal agencies in the National Capital Region (NCR). The WITS 3 contract offers agencies a better value with volume discount pricing due to its 831,000 federal customers.

What is this I don't even

So the last 2 grad schools I was waiting on for responses just came in today.

It's official. It's fucking official.

I've been rejected from EVERY school I applied to. Every single one.

I know why, and there are 2 parameters. One is GPA (which I can do nothing about now) and the other one is the physics GRE (which I can retake). But honestly... what's the chance that retaking the physics GRE and getting a good score will allow me in on the second round? I have a decade of research experience to back me up. A DECADE. No-one else fucking has that. I FUCKING have that. But I guess that wasn't enough. So there's no fucking guarantee.

I'm so glad that I've made my parents, friends, and family so proud. I got a below 3.0 GPA at berkeley, I graduated 1.5 years late, I got a horrid score on the physics GRE and look at all the goddamned schools just fucking LINING up to accept me.

ALSO TOMORROW IS MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY. I realized that this morning. I feel so fucking happy to exist on this planet and to have gone around the sun one more fucking time.

I know why, and there are 2 parameters. One is GPA (which I can do nothing about now) and the other one is the physics GRE (which I can retake). But honestly... what's the chance that retaking the physics GRE and getting a good score will allow me in on the second round? I have a decade of research experience to back me up. A DECADE. No-one else fucking has that. I FUCKING have that. But I guess that wasn't enough. So there's no fucking guarantee.

I'm so glad that I've made my parents, friends, and family so proud. I got a below 3.0 GPA at berkeley, I graduated 1.5 years late, I got a horrid score on the physics GRE and look at all the goddamned schools just fucking LINING up to accept me.

ALSO TOMORROW IS MY FUCKING BIRTHDAY. I realized that this morning. I feel so fucking happy to exist on this planet and to have gone around the sun one more fucking time.

:( :comfort: Sadly a lot of school's don't care about "experience" and all that, they mostly care about the GPA and standardized test scores. It's shitty I know but hey, employers are like that too now it seems. :/ The "factoryization" of schooling in the US pisses me off in general, for obvious reasons.

You shouldn't think that you didn't make your family and friends happy. You got into Berkeley dude, Berkeley. That doesn't happen everyday, and 3.0 or not, it's quite the accomplishment and they should be understanding if you didn't get a 4.gazillion GPA. The work's a lot harder there than at a less prestigious school I'm sure.

Take your birthday tomorrow as a new beginning for yourself and get back on the horse to prove those admissions counselors wrong, that you're more than just some computer generated test score or GPA, and that you can achieve whatever you set your mind to. :) We'll be rooting for you! (well at least I will :))

Couldn't have said it better rick

Do what you do and do it the best you can, study hard, retake the GRE, apply again and start kicking ass. If they have two parameters to consider you they don't give two shits about the rest.

C'mon, lighten up, youre a very smart guy, several times smarter than yours truly and smarter than quite a bit of other people. I'm sure things can only get better from here on.

Thank you Rick for being a better motivational speaker than I. I've seen you post about some of the research you've done, LP, and it's clear you have some killer experience that should be backing you up. It's their loss if they don't want you because of some numbers.

Just got back home from a 4 day, 5000km roadtrip. I've never been happier to see my bed.

Ouch man... I feel that exact pain, having been rejected from all eight PhD programs in econ that I applied to this year. Is this the point when you take your mad quantitative research skills and head to Wall Street?

:( :comfort: Sadly a lot of school's don't care about "experience" and all that, they mostly care about the GPA and standardized test scores. It's shitty I know but hey, employers are like that too now it seems. :/ The "factoryization" of schooling in the US pisses me off in general, for obvious reasons.

You shouldn't think that you didn't make your family and friends happy. You got into Berkeley dude, Berkeley. That doesn't happen everyday, and 3.0 or not, it's quite the accomplishment and they should be understanding if you didn't get a 4.gazillion GPA. The work's a lot harder there than at a less prestigious school I'm sure.

Take your birthday tomorrow as a new beginning for yourself and get back on the horse to prove those admissions counselors wrong, that you're more than just some computer generated test score or GPA, and that you can achieve whatever you set your mind to. :) We'll be rooting for you! (well at least I will :))

Thanks man, that helps a bit. I just had a massive cathartic moment about 20 minutes after my post. Felt better to let that out, but of course being at home my dad is the one who supports and my mom is the one that censures. It's all fucking backwards. I take what they say with some respect though, they are PhDs and they are my rents after all.

I need to just get some time to think and figure out how I can get the impetus to just work my ass off again and earn this.

Couldn't have said it better rick

Do what you do and do it the best you can, study hard, retake the GRE, apply again and start kicking ass. If they have two parameters to consider you they don't give two shits about the rest.

C'mon, lighten up, youre a very smart guy, several times smarter than yours truly and smarter than quite a bit of other people. I'm sure things can only get better from here on.

Lets hope.

Thank you Rick for being a better motivational speaker than I. I've seen you post about some of the research you've done, LP, and it's clear you have some killer experience that should be backing you up. It's their loss if they don't want you because of some numbers.

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Ouch man... I feel that exact pain, having been rejected from all eight PhD programs in econ that I applied to this year. Is this the point when you take your mad quantitative research skills and head to Wall Street?

I'm not a business person tbh. But if there are no possibilities the next round then what else can I do but that?

Last edited:
*sigh*
We once again appreciate your intentions of working for us, but your score wasn?t enough to make you advance to the next recruitment phase.

Excuse me while I go break/torch/shoot/punch something.

Dear Jalopnik, see the new Cracked website to learn how to redesign a site.
Cheers!

LP, just keep on doing what you're doing. I had that happen with a high school I wanted to go to rejecting me, but when I look back I don't mind it anymore. They missed out and I came out ahead I think. Sometimes you have to look at things from the other side even if they're hard to take in. Happy Birthday! :)

I'm not a business person tbh. But if there are no possibilities the next round then what else can I do but that?
Look at grad schools / Ph.D programs abroad. The application process over here in Germany is much more on the lines of "if the professor likes you/your CV you are in" then based on some scores. It's highly corrupt, as well, so if your mentor knows someone over here, it would help, but it still might be worth a try anyways.

Just found out that my brother had the roof ripped off his place by a tornado tonight. Fortunately he, his wife and their dogs weren't there (they're a few hours away at my mom's place). He's in the US Air Force and currently stationed at Little Rock AFB in Arkansas. Evidently a number of homes on base were torn up tonight and his was one of them. The whole scenario is made even worse by the fact that they moved into this house literally just 2 weeks ago and my brother's old Bronco and their new furniture is likely destroyed. They've got insurance but still, what a nightmare.

My favourite movie is Amelie , I don't like pop, rap or r&b music anymore (not that I ever did), I use big words, I occasionally wear scarves, I go to a small niche cafe and I'm quoting way too much on an essay I'm writing.

Oh my god I've turned into a hipster.