Random Thoughts....

On the watches, they look suspiciously clean because they have refinished dials and polished cases. You can take a giant file and a bit of emery paper followed by a muslin buff with some rouge to a heavily scratched watch case that most people would call ruined and make it look brand new with a mirror finish. Plastic crystals can be brought back from almost anything, too, as long as they aren't cracked. The refinished dials on something like these probably dont matter. Usually most collectors want original dials even if they look like crap, but people wanting neat looking watches to wear want nice dials. My opinion on these particular ones is that the refinished dial is a good thing, the originals were made with poor standards and didn't hold up well with age. They look like they were refinished to original spec by the original equipment to me, so the (original slightly questionable) quality is there. These aren't horrible valuable anyway. Don't expect Rolex finish on them.

As far as the movements go, they're mass produced Russian machinery. Take from that what you will. I don't care for them because they're just crude enough that they're hard to work with. I don't have my parts catalogs with me so I can't check to be sure, but I expect replacement parts would be difficult to get. The pictures provided aren't clear enough for me to be sure, but they don't appear to have any major issues, but I wouldn't expect them to not keep consistent time if worn, probably several minutes a day off. That could be corrected by a local watchmaker, but it would cost more than the watch since they would end up doing a full cleaning and regulating of them.

Now, all that said, if you're fine with them running several minutes off a day, then go for it. Oh, and don't get them wet, they aren't waterproof at all. And the crown on this one will dig into your wrist like nothing else.

There clearly should be a "Nabster critiques your potential watch purchases" thread.

Or a title.

Admins?

Probably they hear it wrong and think you study hornyness.

You are right, I am clearly illiterate. Especially since I just misspelled illiterate and especially.

I hate May. Every single show on TV ends in May. And half of them get cancelled. God damned networks!

Alos, how fucked is it that two telecom providers own all the canadian networks excluding CBC and a couple smaller independant channels. It's just so wrong.

Come on, gotta give us a bit more than that!

XR6T?

Ahh the ol' Aussie wog dialect :p

The wheels from AU onwards are different offset to EL ones, so a no go-er there.

Hint: There are two types of car, both Ford and ranging from 69-84.

I hate May. Every single show on TV ends in May. And half of them get cancelled. God damned networks!

One more month and we get the return of Top Gear AND Futurama!

Ahh the ol' Aussie wog dialect :p
More bogan than wog, but there's not much difference these days :p

And there's another example - I would guess "wog" doesn't mean the same in Australian English as it does in British (where it's a racial insult, although it didn't start out that way).
"Wog" here is applied to people of Medeterranean or Middle Eastern ancestry. It's not seen as a racial insult to most, some find it offensive. Most people have embraced it, and have no problem with it.

Alos, how fucked is it that two telecom providers own all the canadian networks excluding CBC and a couple smaller independant channels. It's just so wrong.

Yeah I noticed that two shows on my time reminder list app (because the stations move them all the fuck around constantly) are labeled "series ended".

One more month and we get the return of Top Gear AND Futurama!
Yay. More painfully scripted episodes to insult our intelligence. <_<

My chronometer (circa 1850's) has been overhauled in the last 10 years and keeps just about perfect time :D

And there's another example - I would guess "wog" doesn't mean the same in Australian English as it does in British (where it's a racial insult, although it didn't start out that way).

I guess it depends on the context. One of my best mates is a wog and we call him anything from 'the fat wog' to just 'wog' all the time. Hell, he calls himself a wog, but then he's a hell of a laid back and friendly guy. I imagine if you go to a Maccas carpark in a Melbourne suburb late one night and start calling the guys with their slammed Civics wogs, you might not want to hang around very long :p.

Yay. More painfully scripted episodes to insult our intelligence. <_<

Ummmm. Quoi?
Its an entertaining show. Don't take it seriously and laugh along with the rest of us.

It's still watchable, but it has it's moments of verging into absurdly unfunny. Geoff anyone? I honestly enjoy the not UK top gear shows more now. I will be looking more forward to the US version I think.

Reminder app? Bah, I don't know what I'd do without my PVR. It does all the legwork for me. Schedule change? I don't care, the magic box knows about it, I don't need to pay attention.

And, uh, so I guess you do like shoes after all. Not for your feet though, for your presenters. "Ha ha this is a funny joke, you can tell by my lifeless delivery, ah ha, this was not written by someone else who made me read it, this is how I normally talk and I feel completely comfortable with talking like this." is all I hear when I try to watch TGUS. The real TG > the pretenders.

Last edited: