Random Thoughts....

Wrapped up the current exam session, year 2 of University done and dusted. Two more years to go before the degree.

Exam sessions really are a brain fryer. I'm going to need to unplug it for the next few weeks. :lol:

You've come to the right place then.

And well done, have a :beer:

I had a dream that I drove a red Citroen CX van around London during the zombie apocalypse.

citroen20cxxl20autobus202.jpg

Ok, it was awesome. CARMAGEDDON!

...yet your dad smokes...?

Like a chimney. He's tried quitting once or twice but when I say TRIED QUITTING I mean he just bought patches an' gum an' expected them to tek care of the willpower thing too. Of which he none of.

Seriously the bloke would watch me light up then go "I'll just have one of yours" after lighting one of mine he sneakily stole off me. Pffttt.

Like a chimney. He's tried quitting once or twice but when I say TRIED QUITTING I mean he just bought patches an' gum an' expected them to tek care of the willpower thing too. Of which he none of.

Seriously the bloke would watch me light up then go "I'll just have one of yours" after lighting one of mine he sneakily stole off me. Pffttt.

each time he takes one you should be given one free whack at his head with a baseball bat. see how long he learns the art of willpower then.
of course you could always give him one of these.
green-lantern-movie-ring-supers_greenlanternring.gif-29654d1279748285

My coworker is so annoying...I want to put a bullet through my head every time i hear him make a lame joke, say "brah" at the end of a sentence and try to exert power and authority he doesn't have after only working 3 weeks.

Plus, he's such a suck up...but for the wrong reasons..he's so damn lazy..he'll say he did shit but didn't really follow the correct procedure or anything. I can't trust him to do anything without half-assing it.

We just got a notice about possibly receiving overtime pay, aaaaand I'm not sure if I should ask my mentor if he has the money in his grant to offer that. Why?

1. I need to get on my mentor's good side so I'm not sure that asking for this sort of thing would work. But I can work on this and so it's not that much of a problemo.
2. Overtime is 1.5 times normal pay rate, so I would only have to work for 5 hours 20 minutes to get the same pay as working for 8 regular hours.
3. There is a 100% guarantee that my brown ass in here for 2-6 hours every Sunday making up for laziness during the week.

So if on average I'm here for 4 hours on a Sunday, and there are 4 sundays in a monf: I get 24 extra regular hours of pay, or in other words, 3 extra days or nearly $500 extra.

That would be great because it would facilitate loan payments by a significant amount. But once again I'm not sure I can request this of him. What do you guys think?

$500 is a lot of money to be missing out on. if it was only peanuts amount of money then i wouldn't be bothered, but such a sizeable amount? i'd definately be kicking a few doors down.

I would maybe just bring up the notice and ask how that works? If he's against it or can't do it either he will say so or you will likely be able to tell from the way he talks about it. But I'm non-confrontational.

$500 is a lot of money to be missing out on. if it was only peanuts amount of money then i wouldn't be bothered, but such a sizeable amount? i'd definately be kicking a few doors down.

It is. And if I worked for 6 hours, then I'd be getting $720. I don't want to think about this in terms of money, but I feel like it's not something I can totally disregard.

I would maybe just bring up the notice and ask how that works? If he's against it or can't do it either he will say so or you will likely be able to tell from the way he talks about it. But I'm non-confrontational.

We have to bring up the notice at some point and I'm sure Emily is going to be all "but you don't ahve the money and I'm so awesome and I don't want this stuff, so you shouldn't do it" and then I'll be left looking like the jackass asking for money.

Sorry sorry.

I'll bring it up in private I think.

Edit: Wow. So. The admin comes over to discuss this overtime shit and apparently she forgot to tell us one fucking detail when we signed up for the job. We could record our overtime. She had told us before that we couldn't do overtime or work overtime so i was mainly coming in to finish up anything that I didn't do during the week. What I didn't realize is that while we cannot get paid for overtime apparently we can accrue vacation time as compensatory time by working overtime. Had she told us about it I would have been less worried when we hve to randomly leave for India because of an emergency. During the entire convo she never said "I'm sorry I forgot to tell you". She was just like "Oh". Whatever I hate when people can't admit they're wrong. I don't understand all this administrative HR shit.

Last edited:
as my previous boss once said, they might work in hr, but they don't relate very well and they're not that human.

^ Absolute truth. The lady that came in to discuss this is Liz. I know way too many Liz's first of all. This one being the oldest one.

The other day I'm walking down the hallway back from the microwave to the lab. Liz waddles next to me as she's walking in the same direction. As she waddles she goes "I have to go potty".

W

T

F

I've so far only encountered one HR person in my current company, and they sent her during the day we were setting up for our parking lot sale to interview all the employees and see if they had any problems with their working environment. She has a weird name, Shelia (like She-lee-uh), and she gets very upset if people mispronounce it and say Sheila.

each time he takes one you should be given one free whack at his head with a baseball bat. see how long he learns the art of willpower then.
of course you could always give him one of these.
green-lantern-movie-ring-supers_greenlanternring.gif-29654d1279748285

Thing is, I wouldn't buy as many packs of cigs in a week if me father didn't pinch 'em. A few times a week he buys a pack of 20 an' a pack of 10. The 10 get stashed somewhere while the 20 he carries about with him. Am forever buying more of me Marlboro's 'cause HE BLOODY SMOKES MOST OF 'EM!

Meanwhile, I have to get two new tyres for me car. FML. ?_? One has a puncture an' the spare has a feckin' bulge on it. -_-

Thing is, I wouldn't buy as many packs of cigs in a week if me father didn't pinch 'em. A few times a week he buys a pack of 20 an' a pack of 10. The 10 get stashed somewhere while the 20 he carries about with him. Am forever buying more of me Marlboro's 'cause HE BLOODY SMOKES MOST OF 'EM!

Meanwhile, I have to get two new tyres for me car. FML. ?_? One has a puncture an' the spare has a feckin' bulge on it. -_-

Here's a crazy thought - have *you* considered quitting smoking?
The money you'd save alone should be plenty of incentive. (Enough for a pair of new tires!)

And - going out on a limb here - but you seem to have a very strong will.

Here's a crazy thought - have *you* considered quitting smoking?
The money you'd save alone should be plenty of incentive. (Enough for a pair of new tires!)

And - going out on a limb here - but you seem to have a very strong will.

To be honest no. Mainly because smoking is a comfort to me. Crazy-arse comfort but still, it stops me from going completely insane most o' the time. Pretty sure that if I stopped completely it wouldn't spur me parents into stopping either. Both sides of me family are all smokers it was inevitable for me to an' all. Well that's my excuse, probably a piss-poor one to some folk but am sticking by it.