Random Thoughts....

Holy shit, only 20 GB per month? I do more than that on my crappy you're-to-far-away-from-the-CO-so-you-only-get-288k connection. :blink:

Heck, I upload more than that every month! (160k upload)
Yes, download limits suck. I could get more than 20gig but I'd have to pay more money...

The interwebs in Australia really aren't very good... My phone lines were installed in 1967 - they're made of lead. :(
Thankfully, our current Prime Minister said in his recent election-winning campaign that he'll give us, quote, "world-class broadband" ... whatever that means. I wonder if he'll personally come to my house and fit some fiber optic cable?

I assume you're unmetered?

Random thought/answer to homework problem: If you draw a circle of radius 4 meters, you prove the Earth is spherical.

I was sure this day was gonna be one of those where you are just covered in fail...

But it was the excact opposite! (Except for the Carrywurst I spilled on my jacket :glare:)

Amongst the several things that had a pretty good chance to go bad or turn out wrong, none did.

And I ended the day eating some excellent meat pie with a wonderful red wine ('06 Valpolicella Rippaso which I won in my Vinification/wine brewing course for best wine) with a good friend that unexpectatly had invited me during the day

It's so nice when life once in a while cuts you a break ^_^

Random thought/answer to homework problem: If you draw a circle of radius 4 meters, you prove the Earth is spherical.

Is it something about how the circumference of the circle will be off from what is expected?

Curved earth:
The way it was proven in the 1700s (I think) was that they got a very straight canal and put three sticks in it marking them at a similar distance above the water (say 1 foot - we were not metric then - nor was anyone else BTW, Napoleon = tyrant). Then they got a telescope and centered it on one of the end sticks with the eye-line level with the 1 foot mark then the lined it up with the stick at the far end - guess what, the stick in the middle had its 1 foot mark higher in the telescope than the straight line between the two other posts qed.

One day I'll tell you how they measured the speed of light if you are nice to me. ...

OK Flat earth society - get out of that one then!

Last edited:
Is it something about how the circumference of the circle will be off from what is expected?

Exactly. The circumference of any circle you draw on a spherical surface will be

C = 2 * pi * R sin(r/R) where R is the radius of the sphere (~6400 Km for the Earth), and r is the radius of the circle you draw.

I think I did it wrong for the hw problem though, I punched in the wrong value into my calc.

Nvm it looks ok

Last edited:
I assume you're unmetered?

Aye, and any week now I should be able to get a faster connection than 288k. I saw them dig up the sidewalk in front of our house and lay down new cables, it's just a matter of waiting for them to connect them up at this point. At least, I hope it's just a waiting game now.

One day I'll tell you how they measured the speed of light if you are nice to me. ...

A spinning gear and a mirror?

...then eat them.

*clicks link*

*reads title*

*closes tab*

Thank god for FlashBlock!